• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

If we win 11 games this year

Your response to number 5 is false on it's face. BP had two DC and two OC. So getting to "several" when the sample size was 4 would be difficult. Lets look at them.
1. His brother. Was a head coach. Screwed that up and last I knew was unemployed.
2. Shawn Watson is doing alright just got hired at Pitt. In reality he was a leave over of BC who Bo fired. So does he really count for Bo?
3. JP Was a LB coach at UNC a real football powerhouse. He is this year the DC. Realistically he probably should have stayed a LB coach here. Did not have enough experience to be a coordinator.
4. Tim Beck anyone who thinks Beck was an OC in more than just name at OSU is fooling himself. We will see how he does at the Whores. to early to say one way or the other.

I will even throw in a 5th. Since as you say Bo was his own DC. He got offered 0 P5 jobs and insult to injury 0 G5 jobs.

Let's compare this to FS staff. Frank himself has been at Ohio and reasonably successful. Turner went to G5 bottom dweller Buffalo and made them competitive. Went to KS and was not given a real shot. Has since Chosen to go to Liberty because of his faith. Craig Bohl built a dynasty at NDSU and is currently trying to do the same at Wyoming. FS also gets credit good and bad for Bo. Jamrog Head coach at Midlands. (meh) Barney Cotton went to ISU and actually helped make them competitive, Then back to NE, now OC at UNLV,(Bo gets some secondary credit for this one since he hired him back to DONU)

BP's offensive coordinators were very solid - right wrong or indifferent - Watson and Beck have good resumes since leaving NU. Not sure anyone can claim that DL has been better than either of those two during and after their NU stints. Even if Watson was a carry-over from BC.

BP was NU's defensive coordinator throughout his tenure at NU. His brother Carl could at least push back on BP from time to time. Papuchis was a disaster from day 1. Can you say Banker was much better? Diaco gives us all some encouragement and hope - lets see if it translates into W/L's.

BP had 4 official coordinators in 7 years. MR has had 3 in 3 years ... what do you want turnover every year?

I choose to ignore the FS comparisons as they were not considered in the original thesis!

Last edited:

Will that be enough to shut up Riley's critics, or will it take a national championship?
No. He needs to do it all the time, not once every 4-5 years, like his track record states. You can't follow up a good season with a losing season, or a subpar season. Callahan had a good year in 2006, and 95% of this board was screaming for raises and extensions. They got what they wished for, about a 10m gaff.

No. He needs to do it all the time, not once every 4-5 years, like his track record states. You can't follow up a good season with a losing season, or a subpar season. Callahan had a good year in 2006, and 95% of this board was screaming for raises and extensions. They got what they wished for, about a 10m gaff.

$10 million? Where are you getting that number?

BP's offensive coordinators were very solid - right wrong or indifferent - Watson and Beck have good resumes since leaving NU. Not sure anyone can claim that DL has been better than either of those two during and after their NU stints. Even if Watson was a carry-over from BC.

BP was NU's defensive coordinator throughout his tenure at NU. His brother Carl could at least push back on BP from time to time. Papuchis was a disaster from day 1. Can you say Banker was much better? Diaco gives us all some encouragement and hope - lets see if it translates into W/L's.

BP had 4 official coordinators in 7 years. MR has had 3 in 3 years ... what do you want turnover every year?

I choose to ignore the FS comparisons as they were not considered in the original thesis!
Bold in black No I can not. He may have been better but not enough to argue the point. As it would be minimal at best.

Bold in red no but the point I was making was that the original post said "Several" of Bo's coordinators went on to be successful. I do not know about you but when I hear the word "several" I think about more than 4. basically
2 = pair
3+=some
several to me is probably in the neighborhood of 7-8+ so the fact that Bo only had 4 precludes several from ever occurring in my mind. However Webster supports something different. as they define it as More than 2 but less than many.

I'm guessing. Callahan just got a 4 year extension and so did Pederson. I'd guess it's roughly that, maybe a bit less. Nonetheless, it was a massive gaff that was completely unnecessary.

Cut it in half, and you are in the ballpark. The SP debacle is one everyone seems to think they saw coming, but almost nobody did. He had every bona fide that Nebraska fans say they want - native Nebraskan, NU alumnus, served on TO's staff, experienced AD. Just goes to show that ties to Nebraska don't guarantee success.

Last edited:
What's the title of this thread? And you've predicted it elsewhere as well. Assuming you're talking about the regular season, cause if we do go 11-1 there will definitely be a twelfth game in Indy and a bowl game.
To assume that I would be referring to "the regular season" when I am talking about 11 wins is really beyond obtuse. You and I have had this discussion about "the season" about 50 times and as recently as a few days ago AND, you absolutely, positively, know with 100% certainty that I am always talking about the entire season (including any pre or post season games). I can only believe that you are trolling when you act otherwise.

Last edited:
I'll bite

Every coaching transition whether it BC to BP or BP to MR has loyalty issues. The last two classes were solid athletes with good kids. I disagree with the mutinous and treacherous adjectives!

BP and his staff have had several NFL caliber players including our current starting NFL-caliber LT. I do not disagree with this comment too much though!

Hopefully this is true - the "rankings" say so, hope it shows on the field!

We had QBs to run BP's offense. I would argue MR is at fault for continuing to run an offense with such a QB. Bring in a JUCO, go with a less experienced better suited passer.

Several of BPs coordinators are doing just fine at other substantial collegiate programs. BP was a defacto coordinator like many college and pro programs have ... his brother also did a heck of job.

This is an always changing dynamic - always will be

The love-hate relationship went both ways. There were several media members who's love of BP borders on your own affection for him. No doubt BP fueled the fire whereas MR knows how to "manage" the media much better.

I doubt BP ever had a "9 wins is enough mentality".
1. If you think the transition from BP to MR was remotely close to normal, you haven't paid much attention. Please provide me a link of a similar transition, where there were at least 5 transfers, documented accounts of multiple players (including Captains) revealing that they did not "buy in," a departing HC that slammed the University and administration on his way out the door, and where a former coach so bad-mouthed existing coaches and methods/technique/scheme after being terminated that it the rumor made the papers and other media.

2. Looks like we agree. I did not say all of BP's OL recruits or classes were bad, just the 2 upper classes he passed to MR. The sophomore group that year was outstanding and BO or someone on his staff deserve credit for that.

3. Agreement again

4. Who is at "fault" wasn't even being argued, I simply said NOW we have them...that is a FACT. If you think it is MR, that's OK with me, I've said as much myself.

5. LOL...his brother is not very good, nor were his other Coordinators who keep chasing their tails at different schools. Carl was "good" because of a few BC recruits named Suh and Crick. We're just lucky we got riud of him before his issues became public.

6. We agree, I suppose...thankfully the dynamic is moving in a positive direction now.

7. I totally disagree with you. The Nebraska media base is ALWAYS a bunch of lapdogs fawning over the NU football coach. Sure, they will write a few semi-controversial stories now and then, when they get wind of something, but they are generally harmless and HC friendly. The fact that Bo was such a difficult coach was not only recognized by a few of these local lapdogs, so you KNOW it was bad, but...worse yet, the NATIONAL media recognized it as well. Top that off with his famous tapes which revealed what he really thought of Nebraskas and its fans and you get exactly what you should get---the most hated Husker coach in history. And, for the record...I don't hate him...just everything about his public persona. He might be a decent guy in private.

8. I think he did, or he would've quit on his own knowing he wasn't meeting expectations for his last 2 years. Obviously he was upset over losing his job because of it...that is evidence he thought it was good enough. You see, he thought it was impossible to recruit well enough to do better...he is wrong. Obviously, Kenny Bell made public statements as a representative of the team also saying 9 was enough.

Will that be enough to shut up Riley's critics, or will it take a national championship?
Riley's done an outstanding job of surrounding himself with quality assistant coaches. He came into a very tough situation because regardless of what you thought of Bo he won nine games each year and twice played for conference championships. His players seemed to love playing for him and at least half of the fan base disagreed with his firing.
Riley comes in and loses some very close games and critics seem to mount. He beats a good football team in a bowl game and begins
the second season with 7 straight wins. He loses an overtime game on the road then the wheels fall off as his QB is injured and is really never healthy the remainder of the season.
I can't help but believe Riley has nothing to prove to anyone. There's more potential at the QB position that at any time in recent Husker history. His assistant coaches are great recruiters and even better coaches. He is doing EVERYTHING in his power to bring a championship to Nebraska. If this team plays every game to the wire and improves every week I believe the fan base will be satisfied.

Cut it in half, and you are in the ballpark. The SP debacle is one everyone seems to think they some coming, but almost nobody did. He had every bona fide that Nebraska fans say they want - native Nebraskan, NU alumnus, served on TO's staff, experienced AD. Just goes to show that ties to Nebraska don't guarantee success.
And he was also the one whom hired Bill Callahan and changed the culture. Can't forget about that gaff either. Also, I think between Pederson and Callahan to go away was more than 5m. Maybe you're right though, but the point is it was a MASSIVE mistake and nothing that couldn't wait till the end of the season.

Last edited:
Bold in black No I can not. He may have been better but not enough to argue the point. As it would be minimal at best.

Bold in red no but the point I was making was that the original post said "Several" of Bo's coordinators went on to be successful. I do not know about you but when I hear the word "several" I think about more than 4. basically
2 = pair
3+=some
several to me is probably in the neighborhood of 7-8+ so the fact that Bo only had 4 precludes several from ever occurring in my mind. However Webster supports something different. as they define it as More than 2 but less than many.
Nice to have your personal opinion about it, but several has always implied more than two. Seven or eight? That's a mob of coaches, literally a whole coaching staff.

To assume that I would be referring to "the regular season" when I am talking about 11 wins is really beyond obtuse. You and I have had this discussion about "the season" about 50 times and as recently as a few days ago AND, you absolutely, positively, know with 100% certainty that I am always talking about the entire season (including any pre or post season games). I can only believe that you are trolling when you act otherwise.
You're the guy who used 11-1 in your argument. That's a regular season record, period.

I suppose we should all assume you're talking about 11-3 overall, except with three regular season losses there is zero chance of getting more than one post-season game. 9-3 won't get you to Indy!

Last edited:

You're the guy who used 11-1 in your argument. That's a regular season record, period.

I suppose we should all assume you're talking about 11-3 overall, except with three regular season losses there is zero chance of getting more than one post-season game. 9-3 won't get you to Indy!
I've never said anything about 11-1. Quit lying, post a link if you can find one, but don't fake one.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back