• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

If we left em in...

There were games like the '83 Kansas game or the '94 Pacific game where it was clear that Osborne came into the game with a plan for how to substitute as quickly as possible ... and it still didn't stop the scoring. Here's the start of the write-up on the Pacific game, but that could have been the lead paragraph for a lot of games in the Osborne era:

Lincoln — Against Pacific on Saturday, Nebraska used three I-backs in the first series, three quarterbacks by halftime and no defensive starters in the third or fourth quarters.

And it still got ugly.​

Read more: https://dataomaha.com/huskers/history/game/1994-9-24-pacific#ixzz5lWDbZ3mP

I'll always contend teams play better with a rotation where players have to maximize their time on the field. Better to have thirty decent guys in a rotation giving it 100% every play than eleven getting worn down because that's all they have. The attrition strategy pays dividends early in a game and creates a giant division between the teams as the game matures. It was this concept that Solich never seemed to grasp.

I don't know why I remember this, but in the early 80s (1982?) someone put out a Nebraska soundtrack on vinyl. One of the songs was Nebraska 67 Kansas 1, and the lyrics said "I think we just gave em that 1".

People who weren't alive or were too young to remember the days when you had limited nationally televised games per year might not understand how strange that '83 season was. Nebraska was televised before the season began in the first ever Kickoff Classic against Penn State, and then they were on TV again against UCLA. The Oklahoma game would always be televised (except when Oklahoma had a TV ban as part of one of their many NCAA probations), and the bowl game would be televised, so Nebraska would have been one of the few teams in the country to be on nationally televised TV for 4 games. ESPN wasn't yet a player in the market of televised games, so all that remained were any regionally televised games that networks would pick up. In the days of antenna TV, televised college football was solely the property rights of ABC, so the local ABC stations in the Upper Midwest were often bombarded with requests for televising Nebraska games. Since every game in Lincoln was a sellout, it wasn't an issue as far as taking away fans from the game, but it meant that Nebraska fans at home didn't get to see them score 84 against Minnesota in the Metrodome, which was mostly filled with red-clad fans. For God only knows what reason, the ABC execs and local affiliates decided to broadcast the Kansas game. My dad said, "Oh, no, they'll score a hundred, and they won't broadcast any more games." Nebraska's offense was such a phenomenon at the time that people were interested in watching, even if it was a blowout, so 100-0 wouldn't necessarily be a bad game for TV viewers.

The regionally-televised Kansas game in 1983 drew 75,503 to Memorial Stadium. Those who were slow getting to their seats might have missed the first of Rozier’s touchdowns. On Nebraska’s fifth play from scrimmage, he took a pitch from Gill and ran 49 yards 1:55 into the first quarter.

Three-and-a-half minutes into the second quarter, Rozier scored his fourth touchdown, on a 17-yard run, and the Huskers led 27-0, on the way to a 41-0 halftime lead.

They would add another touchdown, on Jeff Smith’s 63-yard punt return, for a 47-0 lead 3:08 into the second half before Kansas would finally get on the scoreboard.​

It was ugly. The announcers didn't know how to dress it up either. They didn't cut away from games at that time, but the announcers began openly discussing it sometime after the starters left the game in the 2nd quarter, and they couldn't identify all of the Nebraska substitute players because so many numbers were doubled up. There were limits for the traveling squad, which was why the Minnesota game was such a blowout, but Nebraska could suit up so many more walk-ons then that the sideline looked like a couple of armies of red-clad football players. At halftime they said that they were going to cut away, and I think it was shortly after Smith scored again at the start of the 2nd half that they went to some other meaningless regional game that nobody cared about, then or now. My dad, who hadn't wanted that game to be broadcast at all, was annoyed when they cut away. I asked him why. "With all of those subs playing, I think Kansas might score."

https://hailvarsity.com/s/4880/toms-time-the-song-that-predicted-nebraska-kansas-in-1983

Last edited:
People who weren't alive or were too young to remember the days when you had limited nationally televised games per year might not understand how strange that '83 season was. Nebraska was televised before the season began in the first ever Kickoff Classic against Penn State, and then they were on TV again against UCLA. The Oklahoma game would always be televised (except when Oklahoma had a TV ban as part of one of their many NCAA probations), and the bowl game would be televised, so Nebraska would have been one of the few teams in the country to be on nationally televised TV for 4 games. ESPN wasn't yet a player in the market of televised games, so all that remained were any regionally televised games that networks would pick up. In the days of antenna TV, televised college football was solely the property rights of ABC, so the local ABC stations in the Upper Midwest were often bombarded with requests for televising Nebraska games. Since every game in Lincoln was a sellout, it wasn't an issue as far as taking away fans from the game, but it meant that Nebraska fans at home didn't get to see them score 84 against Minnesota in the Metrodome, which was mostly filled with red-clad fans. For God only knows what reason, the ABC execs and local affiliates decided to broadcast the Kansas game. My dad said, "Oh, no, they'll score a hundred, and they won't broadcast any more games." Nebraska's offense was such a phenomenon at the time that people were interested in watching, even if it was a blowout, so 100-0 wouldn't necessarily be a bad game for TV viewers.

The regionally-televised Kansas game in 1983 drew 75,503 to Memorial Stadium. Those who were slow getting to their seats might have missed the first of Rozier’s touchdowns. On Nebraska’s fifth play from scrimmage, he took a pitch from Gill and ran 49 yards 1:55 into the first quarter.

Three-and-a-half minutes into the second quarter, Rozier scored his fourth touchdown, on a 17-yard run, and the Huskers led 27-0, on the way to a 41-0 halftime lead.

They would add another touchdown, on Jeff Smith’s 63-yard punt return, for a 47-0 lead 3:08 into the second half before Kansas would finally get on the scoreboard.​

It was ugly. The announcers didn't know how to dress it up either. They didn't cut away from games at that time, but the announcers began openly discussing it sometime after the starters left the game in the 2nd quarter, and they couldn't identify all of the Nebraska substitute players because so many numbers were doubled up. There were limits for the traveling squad, which was why the Minnesota game was such a blowout, but Nebraska could suit up so many more walk-ons then that the sideline looked like a couple of armies of red-clad football players. At halftime they said that they were going to cut away, and I think it was shortly after Smith scored again at the start of the 2nd half that they went to some other meaningless regional game that nobody cared about, then or now. My dad, who hadn't wanted that game to be broadcast at all, was annoyed when they cut away. I asked him why. "With all of those subs playing, I think Kansas might score."

https://hailvarsity.com/s/4880/toms-time-the-song-that-predicted-nebraska-kansas-in-1983

Ha ha, thanks for the article. That brought back some memories.

Reminds me of another game & think it was also Rozier taking an opening kickoff against KU (might have been K-State) ... inadvertently stepping back into endzone to take a knee & spot the opponent with a 2 - 0 lead — like playing some b-ball with the older, bigger kids when they spotted you points!

Reminds me of another game & think it was also Rozier taking an opening kickoff against KU (might have been K-State) ... inadvertently stepping back into endzone to take a knee & spot the opponent with a 2 - 0 lead — like playing some b-ball with the older, bigger kids when they spotted you points!
That was the start of the '83 K-State game. I was reading the OWH write-up on it this morning, and I found it incredibly interesting that they tried to stall out the 2nd half to keep the Nebraska offense from having more possessions, and how it seemed to work. Here's the write-up:

https://dataomaha.com/huskers/history/game/1983-10-29-kansas-state

Then they beat us the next year.
Coach Snyder basically said that they started preparing for the '96 game as soon as the '95 game was over, and his overriding motivation was that he didn't want to get fired due to being humiliated like that at home. I guess they overshot their expectations.

There was an interview I saw with Turner Gill one time about that Minnesota game. He said that they were in a bit of a Catch-22 because even the backup Nebraska players were in a completely different class than what Minnesota had at the time.

If you keep playing normal, even the backups are running the score through the roof. You just look unsportsmanlike. But then you can't exactly start taking knees in the 2nd quarter and just intentionally go 3-and-out on every possession. That's even more humiliating.

He said a couple of times they would just make up plays in the huddle, and guys would be like, "Okay, all 11 dudes just run left." And they'd still pick up 29 yards.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back