• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

If we had to change mascots and could no longer be the Huskers...

Huh? Why in the world would the Huskers want to sound like a German name? Vaguely anti-Semitic which would go over well. Maybe stick to American term like The Soft Buns or something not so borderline offensive to some people. It would certainly draw a lot of media attention though, if the Huskers became known as the Fighting Krauts.

Not all we German-Americans are anti-Semitic. Gross generalization.

German ancestry is the most common ancestry in all of the U.S. (49.2 million people), and it makes up a majority of the ancestry of most of the Great Plains states, including Nebraska. If you equate "German" with "anti-Semitic," you might want to keep in mind that a majority of the Americans who fought the Nazis were German-Americans, all the way up to Eisenhower.

German names mean anti-semitic, nonsense.

C
Ummm... I guess I misunderstood you David... I thought you meant that rooting against us would be anti-Semitic. Ummm... many "Jewish" names are actually German... You do realize when anti-Israel terrorist groups took hostages in the 1980's (usually American) they looked for German names... Also, Yiddish is a German dialect and most of those "Jewish" dishes are common with German and Eastern European cultures. Also, Jewish Germans were very instrumental in the rise of Imperial Germany and held key governmental positions both in the monarchy and the Wiemar Republic.

I was trying to be funny in that the terms would be those that were generally considered to be offensive to German-Americans. I could also have suggested "Jerries" primarily British slang, not commonly American.

Just curious, is corn taking offense to the violence we've perpetrated on it for hundreds of years?
Maize, repeat after me, Maize... perhaps we should be the Maize Huskers... Ugh, I just realized Meechicken's colors are Maize and Blue... Some have argued ancients in North America effectively genetically altered (or at least bred) it many centuries ago.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back