• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Idea to Make Bowls Significant Again

hskrdavey

Armchair QB
15 Year Member
Not sure if this was posted already, but this is an intriguing idea..
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Love this idea from <a href="https://twitter.com/AdamCarriker94?ref_src=twsrc^tfw">@AdamCarriker94</a> <br>And it makes a lot of sense. Eliminate the conference championship games-play the traditional bowls-pick best 4 AFTER those traditional match ups and have the playoff after. Would make bowls more exciting and easier to select “best” 4.</p>&mdash; Kirk Herbstreit (@KirkHerbstreit) <a href="">January 2, 2019</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Last edited:

It’s a step in the right direction, but still ends up being a “beauty pageant”.
The traditional bowls were much more intriguing and significant when there wasn’t such a preoccupation with trying to pick an objective “undisputed” champion. As I see it, the playoffs haven’t solved that issue and I don’t think they ever will...

It’s a step in the right direction, but still ends up being a “beauty pageant”.
The traditional bowls were much more intriguing and significant when there wasn’t such a preoccupation with trying to pick an objective “undisputed” champion. As I see it, the playoffs haven’t solved that issue and I don’t think they ever will...
I don't think you will ever get subjectivity out of it purely based on having to even seed the teams.

I think part of the problem is the weeks off before Dec 26th, when most bowl games start being played. If Div 1 would start bowl games right after regular season, I still don’t think that would solve the issue of travel for fans though. They would have very little time to make travel arrangements for a game that hasn’t had a location determined until reg season finished that week prior. I don’t know how that gets solved or you’d have even more empty stadiums for bowl games. IMO, it is ridiculous that the bowls continue to get as much attention as they do. Just because they have had long history does not mean they should go on and be part of the ongoing system. I’d much prefer if they just went to a CFP with home games for higher seeded teams and when it gets to Final 4, play those games on traditional Bowl dates in the big bowls, like they do now the week of NYD. Heck, I’d love if the CFP Championship game concludes the season on NYD, instead of playing a week after it. It kind of ends the season now, a week later than it really should be. The Div1 simply gives too much reverence to the old Bowl system when it shouldn’t.

Last edited:
Here is the problem. Almost every plan is a rob from Peter to pay Paul scenario. The original plan to go to a playoff game (at the fans wish) led to stealing the luster from the bowl games. And now we went to 4 games and it has made it worse. Those that want Conference Champions to be automatic qualifiers are doing it at the expense of non-conference game performance and the idea that the most qualified should be in. They only want conference games to matter. This plan proposed is now taking away the conference championship game just to put more emphasis back on bowl games. Everyone is trying to fix something at the expense of something else.

Now could this work? Well not by taking out the Conference Championship games. Conferences are too big now and trying to determine a conference championship when they don't all play each other wouldn't work. Now could you keep conference championship games and play all the traditional bowl games like they did 10 years ago and then pick the best 4? Of course......but what have we changed? If we don't like a committee selecting the 4 teams now why would any reasonable fan be any happier with the process after bowl games?

We would be dropping 10 conference championship games and adding 2 more games back into the bowl process. I'm sorry but this is not going to make the other 38 games any more meaningful.

I have said this 100 times and will probably say it another 100 times. There will never be an equitable fix that includes conferences until we create equitable conferences, schedules and rules within them.

I think part of the problem is the weeks off before Dec 26th, when most bowl games start being played. If Div 1 would start bowl games right after regular season, I still don’t think that would solve the issue of travel for fans though. They would have very little time to make travel arrangements for a game that hasn’t had a location determined until reg season finished that week prior. I don’t know how that gets solved or you’d have even more empty stadiums for bowl games. IMO, it is ridiculous that the bowls continue to get as much attention as they do. Just because they have had long history does not mean they should go on and be part of the ongoing system. I’d much prefer if they just went to a CFP with home games for higher seeded teams and when it gets to Final 4, play those games on traditional Bowl dates in the big bowls, like they do now the week of NYD. Heck, I’d love if the CFP Championship game concludes the season on NYD, instead of playing a week after it. It kind of ends the season now, a week later than it really should be. The Div1 simply gives too much reverence to the old Bowl system when it shouldn’t.

You nailed a major problem. The need for a whole month off is so artificial, just so they could have a New Year's Day game (because of the Pasadena Chamber of Commerce's desire to lure visitors to So Cal in the winter of 1902). It developed into a tradition and many others grabbed onto the chance to make money. Anything so entrenched after more than a century is hard to change, but the current playoffs do seem to be undermining the Bowl system.

Variations of that dumb idea have floated around for years. I thought they were put to bed with the playoff. But apparently not.

INCREDIBLY Dumb idea. The ONLY way it works is if you play the bowls immediately. But the big bowls are NOT going to agree to be played on December 10th. No way. No how. No chance in hell.

Conference championships are not going away. No way. No how. No chance in hell.

The whole bowl system has been a farce for as long as they've been around. A "farce" as far as being really representative of the regular season. Back in the day you could have nearly 6 weeks between games. It's still nearly a month. That's idiotic. And all but 1 or 2 bowls didn't mean any more than they do today. I think people over romanticize the bowls of the past...."i used to watch them all! Now i'm cleaning the house and doing laundry while it's on." Yeah. And 30 years ago you didn't get to see EVERY SINGLE game from Sept. through Nov. And you may have rarely actually seen a Texas game or USC so yeah...New Years Day was special in that regard.

Here is the problem. Almost every plan is a rob from Peter to pay Paul scenario. The original plan to go to a playoff game (at the fans wish) led to stealing the luster from the bowl games. And now we went to 4 games and it has made it worse. Those that want Conference Champions to be automatic qualifiers are doing it at the expense of non-conference game performance and the idea that the most qualified should be in. They only want conference games to matter. This plan proposed is now taking away the conference championship game just to put more emphasis back on bowl games. Everyone is trying to fix something at the expense of something else.

Now could this work? Well not by taking out the Conference Championship games. Conferences are too big now and trying to determine a conference championship when they don't all play each other wouldn't work. Now could you keep conference championship games and play all the traditional bowl games like they did 10 years ago and then pick the best 4? Of course......but what have we changed? If we don't like a committee selecting the 4 teams now why would any reasonable fan be any happier with the process after bowl games?

We would be dropping 10 conference championship games and adding 2 more games back into the bowl process. I'm sorry but this is not going to make the other 38 games any more meaningful.

I have said this 100 times and will probably say it another 100 times. There will never be an equitable fix that includes conferences until we create equitable conferences, schedules and rules within them.
Poor guy is going to beat this rotting corpse of a horse until he's blocked everyone who disagrees.

There isn't one sport on earth that has exactly "equitable" divisions, conferences, etc. and results in a playoff with exactly the top 4, 8, 12, etc. teams.

You do bring up a good point in regards to travel. And yet.....we do the same thing in the NCAA basketball tournament. I guess the difference is they are hoping to get 10,000 fans into a basketball stadium instead of 50,000. And when you are traveling to those sites you get multiple games and teams over a few days so the values is worth having to do the short notice travel cost.

Take away the playoffs
For everyone that wants the playoffs there are just as many people who believe this way. Its no wonder there is so much controversy because there isn't a single good fix. Football is too many weeks to carry out over a long drawn out 32 game field like FCS and Division 2. The only reason they get away with it is they can shorten the regular season and the little revenue they generate from their 6000 fans doesn't make it a big enough issue for the schools to fight it. The truth of the matter is there are a lot of things wrong with the selection process's for all the other sports too but people either don't care because its Division 2 or because it is basketball and the who is out argument doesn't affect the final product.

I like the ideas of 1) keeping CCG's; 2) playing ALL of the traditional bowl games on their traditional dates; and 3) then using the old BCS computer/multi-poll method of choosing the 2 best teams after all the bowls to play on the Saturday two weeks after New Years Day.

This allows an extra layer of significant games for the top teams and will eliminate contenders. It is better than taking the very subjective third and fourth teams just to call something a playoff. One game after the traditional bowl system is ideal.

Last edited:

Kill the CCGs. Play the first round of a 16 team playoff that same week. Allow the 8 losers to still play in bowl games. Play the 4 second round games right before Christmas. Play the two semi final game on NYD. Play the championship a couple weeks later.

Field would be similar to the 5 CCGs plus several at large teams. Spread out enough to allow recovery between games. Keeps NYD fun with significant teams.

Oh and th most important thing. Make ESPN decide only let them have the playoffs or the other bowl games. Not both.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back