• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

I sure hope Dr. Rob Zatechka is wrong about who the underachiever will be.

Hard to disagree, the rugby style kicking is delaying the kick by 1 second, and allows kicking team to get downfield just a few steps sooner, its having a big effect on the return game, just hoping DPE can stay healthy all season
I think one of DPEs strengths was aggressively going after the punt- not letting it hit the ground. Sometimes his fair catch or catch then run out of bounds on angled punts was still far better than previous returners who wouldn't even get under the ball. Kills me to watch the ball roll an extra 15 yards.

I think one of DPEs strengths was aggressively going after the punt- not letting it hit the ground. Sometimes his fair catch or catch then run out of bounds on angled punts was still far better than previous returners who wouldn't even get under the ball. Kills me to watch the ball roll an extra 15 yards.
LOL I usually don't scream at the TV during games but I will when some punt returner is lackadaisical about fielding a punt or calls for a fair catch when he could have advanced the ball. In fact, this pet peeve of mine is very apparent to family and friends who watch games with me. Last season a bunch of us were watching a college game in which the returner danced away from a punt go that could have been fielded and died inside his own five-yard line. As the return man nonchalantly jogged to the sideline, everyone in the room yelled "CATCH THE DAMN BALL."

Last edited:
I think Coach D will bring about some changes for punt returns, like trying to block punt coverage guys at the line of scrimmage instead of just letting them run down the field, which is what seems to have be the plan the last few years. Sure you can still rush the punter with one or two guys, but have the rest actively block.

I think Coach D will bring about some changes for punt returns, like trying to block punt coverage guys at the line of scrimmage instead of just letting them run down the field, which is what seems to have be the plan the last few years. Sure you can still rush the punter with one or two guys, but have the rest actively block.

Agree. It can't possibly be any worse, that's for sure.

Predicting an injury to a Husker? I think that schools have rightly put in more protection against injury and think MS is experiencing such protection. I'm concened, but have no reason to believe that he won't be ready to play and that he will avoid future injury. I think Rob went a little too far in his comments, he is stretching the situation to its worst possible conclusions.

Zatechka was a legend at UNL for always being the smartest person in his classes (science classes, not those easy business classes!). Other students would seek him out for help as often as they would the professor or TA. Forgive me, but I'll take the opinion of a fully trained and educated Dr. Zatechka over those of a forum poster any day.

Zatechka was a legend at UNL for always being the smartest person in his classes (science classes, not those easy business classes!). Other students would seek him out for help as often as they would the professor or TA. Forgive me, but I'll take the opinion of a fully trained and educated Dr. Zatechka over those of a forum poster any day.
Who asked you to?

BTW, RZ is a smart guy but he is not a fully trained neurosurgeon. Nor does he have all the medical details regarding MS.

Last edited:
Who asked you to?

BTW, RZ is a smart guy but he is not a fully trained neurosurgeon. Nor does he have all the medical details regarding MS.
And he never claimed to. IIRC, he said he knew nothing regarding the hit or what happened as this was all out of the public domain (and pretty much no one not on the team knew as this was unreported by the press - only that MS wasn't practicing). All he pointed out was concussions are unusual for linemen and the concern that the issue could recur due to the large number of lower grade hits to the head that linemen receive every play. These are my paraphrases from my recollection. They also express my concern. I think the protocol is a great improvement because I suspect there has been a tendency in the past for players everywhere to come back too soon.

It's quite well documented. They had quite a few broken necks on kickoffs in the early days that almost led to the president asking for the sport to be banned.

Actually it isn't well documented and the neck injuries on kickoffs are totally separate circumstances from being the actual punt returner. Most of the special teams injuries are collisions between the blockers and coverage team. Not counting of course the Ruud hit against OU back in the day.

Mick has had an unfortunate rash of injuries plague his career. Having to undergo concussion protocol 2 weeks before game 1 of a probale 13 game season doesn't bode well for a position that will be relentlessly beat on throughout the season.
Hope his back up is ready to go.........IMO....he will be starting before game 3.

And he never claimed to. IIRC, he said he knew nothing regarding the hit or what happened as this was all out of the public domain (and pretty much no one not on the team knew as this was unreported by the press - only that MS wasn't practicing). All he pointed out was concussions are unusual for linemen and the concern that the issue could recur due to the large number of lower grade hits to the head that linemen receive every play. These are my paraphrases from my recollection. They also express my concern. I think the protocol is a great improvement because I suspect there has been a tendency in the past for players everywhere to come back too soon.
I agree with everything you've said here, and as I said in my post, I have concerns as well. What I don't think is being considered is the possibility that we are now protecting players at a very heightened level. MS may not even have had a concussion, but merely a symptom which landed him in the protocol. I don't think anyone knows, which is why I don't think anyone should speculate the worst without information.

Last edited:
Mick has had an unfortunate rash of injuries plague his career. Having to undergo concussion protocol 2 weeks before game 1 of a probale 13 game season doesn't bode well for a position that will be relentlessly beat on throughout the season.
Hope his back up is ready to go.........IMO....he will be starting before game 3.
Heck, his "backup" might be the starter for the first game, depending on the circumstances. That said, I think it is better not to assume the worst.

I agree with everything you've said here, and as I said in my post, I have concerns as well. What I don't think is being considered is the possibility that we are know protecting players at a very heightened level. MS may not even have had a concussion, but merely a symptom which landed him in the protocol. I don't think anyone knows, which is why I don't think anyone should speculate the worst without information.
I agree. Protocol is not the same as a concussion. It is maybe analogous to knee ligament strain/sprain vs. tear. There is a far lower threshold for action than in the past.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back