• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

I Need A New Grill. Suggestions?

well i hate to bicker with you but my weber ranch grill is the king (pun intended) of all charcoal grills.
I'm actually considering purchasing one of these. I want to build a pergola over my back patio and then, build in an outdoor kitchen. I haven't decided which will be the centerpiece though, the Ranch or a kamado style cooker. I also want to build in a smoker. I've only lived in the house for 8 years now so I'm still in the initial planning phase. Along with my basement. ;)

I'm actually considering purchasing one of these. I want to build a pergola over my back patio and then, build in an outdoor kitchen. I haven't decided which will be the centerpiece though, the Ranch or a kamado style cooker. I also want to build in a smoker. I've only lived in the house for 8 years now so I'm still in the initial planning phase. Along with my basement. ;)

if you check Craigslist you can every now and then find a weber ranch for sale. usually about $600 to $900 and always in great condition. They last forever.

if you check Craigslist you can every now and then find a weber ranch for sale. usually about $600 to $900 and always in great condition. They last forever.
I'm not sure I could buy a used one, you never know what was cooked on there. :eek:

I got a kamado style grill /smoker

https://www.chargriller.com/products/akorn-kamado-16820

It is basically a low cost version of a big green egg. I always use natural lump charcoal then throw a few hunks of applewood / mesquite, etc. and I always get rave reviews.

To smoke, basically you get an accessory that is more or less a pizza stone, that gives the indirect heat needed.

If you wait it out you can probably pick up a grill for $250.

This last weekend I made some 20 oz bone in rib chops that the wife and inlaws say are better than the best smokehouse in town.

I got a kamado style grill /smoker

https://www.chargriller.com/products/akorn-kamado-16820

It is basically a low cost version of a big green egg. I always use natural lump charcoal then throw a few hunks of applewood / mesquite, etc. and I always get rave reviews.

To smoke, basically you get an accessory that is more or less a pizza stone, that gives the indirect heat needed.

If you wait it out you can probably pick up a grill for $250.

This last weekend I made some 20 oz bone in rib chops that the wife and inlaws say are better than the best smokehouse in town.

Funny story. My neighbor across the street bought a kamado type cooker last week. Instead of dropping it in his back yard as he requested, they just put the pallet in his driveway which is on the side of the house and up a considerable grade. When I got home from work, I saw some young kid looking at a set of instructions, then looking at the pile of parts, then looking at the instructions, then looking at the pile of parts...

When I closed the curtains at dusk, he was still out there. Neighbor called HD raising hell because he had to pay the kid $65 dollars to assemble it and then they had to wrestle it down to his back yard. They ended up giving him $100 worth of in-store credit so he just bought some accessories.

My only, personal issue with a kamado type cooker is the lack of square inches of cooking space. I can do almost everything I could with a kamado, on my Weber kettle. Not sure I can justify parting with that kind of coin. I really, really want one though because, reasons.

Funny story. My neighbor across the street bought a kamado type cooker last week. Instead of dropping it in his back yard as he requested, they just put the pallet in his driveway which is on the side of the house and up a considerable grade. When I got home from work, I saw some young kid looking at a set of instructions, then looking at the pile of parts, then looking at the instructions, then looking at the pile of parts...

When I closed the curtains at dusk, he was still out there. Neighbor called HD raising hell because he had to pay the kid $65 dollars to assemble it and then they had to wrestle it down to his back yard. They ended up giving him $100 worth of in-store credit so he just bought some accessories.

My only, personal issue with a kamado type cooker is the lack of square inches of cooking space. I can do almost everything I could with a kamado, on my Weber kettle. Not sure I can justify parting with that kind of coin. I really, really want one though because, reasons.

Just break down and get a Kalamazoo grill and you will be good to go.

51-inch four-burner grill with primary grilling area measuring 1,012 square inches. Cooks with any combination of charcoal, wood and gas.
Why are the Hybrid Fire Grills from Kalamazoo so special? You'd think it would be enough to be "the best gas grill in the world."Awesome firepower. Advanced heat dynamics. Custom grill grates. Easy to clean. But a Kalamazoo Hybrid Fire Grill gives you more – the ability to cook with charcoal and wood as well. These revolutionary outdoor grills use all three fuels interchangeably and in any combination.

Every outdoor cooking technique is at your disposal, from "low and slow" traditional American barbecue to intense searing heat in excess of 1,000ºF, and everything in between. A Kalamazoo Hybrid Fire Grill can do it all and make it look easy.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back