1. You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.
    Dismiss Notice

I like coffee with SSO

Discussion in 'Football' started by solesrfr, Nov 7, 2018.

1. solesrfr

solesrfr Travel Squad 5 Year Member

@ShortSideOption said...

OL still makes young player mistakes on occasion but I expect when they are juniors and seniors they will be stout.

I am interested to see if they can close on some of the top players on their board. While I feel they can develop under rated players and find diamonds in the rough, there is still a need for top athletes. Just getting a few would be great and already having a 4* commited for OLB makes me feel good. Unless Nick does not pan out of course, any other OLB recruit you see possibly being that guy other than moving Wright to OLB?

C

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  2. ShortSideOption

ShortSideOption All Big 10 10 Year Member

This confused me at first since I knew my other thread went off the rails and was locked. Wondered what kind of superpower you had to post in it.

We closed on by all accounts the #1 kid on our board, Bryce Benhart. To what I think you are getting at, before we did that our OL class was a JUCO stud and 2 developmental high schoolers. We needed that “non diamond in the rough”. We have recruited very well at QB, RB, WR, NG, ILB. We absolutely have to pull in Robinson at DE. Our injuries are an issue there. And as I said in my post a couple days ago, I would get a JUCO DE, and our staff just offered one in Nick Figueroa. So they are thinking along the same lines there that we get thin in a hurry, and let’s create some competition. We have to pull in another DB that is “high caliber” because we lose so many guys back there our depth is going to take a hit. And we do need the elite OLB. Despite us getting the guys I originally mentioned, pile another elite pass rusher up this year, and eventually we will be right there. Who is the 4 star OLB you are referencing that’s committed?

eyesonNU, solesrfr and CornhuskerinWI like this.
  3. 36Blast

36Blast Slow Blinker

Do you consider Bell as "high caliber" or are you thinking someone else? Mayo? I thought there were even better players at DB that we are pursuing. Thoughts?

4. ShortSideOption

We have to get Mayo. Losing Mullen to Indiana hurt. But I love the Bell commitment (it will happen) because we lose Reed, Williams, and Neal. We are going to have other attrition in the defensive backfield as well.

One thing I forgot to mention, is even taking it to 30 recruits for this class, we may not get to 85 without grad transfers and walk-ons getting some scholarships.

5. CornhuskerinWI

CornhuskerinWI Recruit

SSO, do you prefer Mayo over Jamel Starks?

6. Hville

Hville Scout Team 2 Year Member

Speaking of coffee with @ShortSideOption. Maybe we should get him set up to do a HM live podcast Monday mornings where we can really have our coffee with him. :Banana:

7. Let it be by the code

Let it be by the code My base D is 3 - 4

In my head @ShortSideOption really is Ric Flair, and the Nature Boy is cool with me.

Keep doing what you do SSO. Most of us appreciate your insights and information.

[​IMG]

8. 36Blast

36Blast Slow Blinker

I was talking with someone the other day about this. It's crazy....as we should expect a decent amount of attrition at the LB and DB positions. We are going to be thin for another year.

p.s. Thanks for what you, RR, N2FL do. I appreciate the exchanges and information before the vermin enter the building.

eyesonNU, Vinosker, N_trepid and 5 others like this.
  9. chicago husker

chicago husker Scout Team 2 Year Member

I think he is referring to Nick Hendrich as the OLB but i could be wrong. Speaking of Hendrich where do you see him playing in this system?

solesrfr likes this.
  10. CornhuskerinWI

CornhuskerinWI Recruit

I know Jackson Hannah is listed as an OLB on 247 that might be who he is referring to.

11. BigMacHusker

BigMacHusker Junior Varsity 10 Year Member

Point of reference on what we currently have for OLB

Quayshon Alexander 3* offers: Michigan, Wisconsin, Notre Dame, Miami, Iowa, VaTech, Ole Miss
    Guy Thomas 3*/4* offers: Bama, Auburn, UGA, LSU, Michigan, FSU you get the idea
    Caleb Tannor 4* offers: Guy Thomas and then some
    Breon Dixon 4* Offers: See Thomas and Tannor
    Domann

The pass rush has gone from zero to relevant in less than a year, I see it as continue the trend vs fix it

Vinosker, Hville and AzHusker like this.
  12. GIFRRO

GIFRRO Red Shirt 5 Year Member

Theres some real opportunities there if the staff can capitalize on development. Both g Thomas and QA looked great on film in HS. the staff at one point raved about QAs tesing. If Dixon develops look out. Tannor has looked pretty average but is young and could blossom. And I really hope they keep doman there............hes already a stud

13. Huskerhunter

Huskerhunter Red Shirt 5 Year Member

I don't always have coffee, but when I do, it's while reading posts from SSO.....

14. ShortSideOption

I believe we are recruiting one as corner and one as safety, so I would probably take both (worst answer ever?). That being said, I really like Starks sticking his nose in things and playing in the box, so i'd lean his way. Especially with how many safeties we lose, and with how Bootle and Jackson are progressing. I think Wright moves to OLB eventually (path that Domann took).

15. ShortSideOption

Attrition at WR, DB, LB are almost certainties. RB and OL are possibilities. And then possibly our punter. Depth will probably be an issue next year too, but we will at least have the horses.

Vinosker and HuskerSuperGenius like this.