• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

I Guess, Call this a Stength Education post

So, a couple questions:

1. Does Duval want Boyd around his football players?
2. If the answer is no, can he actually say "no" without making the TC posse angry?
3. If Boyd is allowed to stay in order to help with non-football athletes, can he stay in his lane?
4. Does Boyd have any advantage anymore over the new generation of S&C coaches?

Seems to me, Duval needs to be able to say "yes" or "no" without having to feel he has to appease anyone. Can Boyd be around S&C and not meddle into football if that's Duval's wish?

I've heard both sides of the story. I know for a fact certain individuals most certainly did not want him around because they felt he was looking over shoulders and, while his experience is fantastic, his knowledge of modern technique isn't what it once was. I've heard that other certain individuals felt honored to have him assist and felt his ideas were better than not-to-be-named prior coach.

So, a couple questions:

2. If the answer is no, can he actually say "no" without making the TC posse angry?
3. If Boyd is allowed to stay in order to help with non-football athletes, can he stay in his lane?
4. Does Boyd have any advantage anymore over the new generation of S&C coaches?

Seems to me, Duval needs to be able to say "yes" or "no" without having to feel he has to appease anyone. Can Boyd be around S&C and not meddle into football if that's Duval's wish?

I've heard both sides of the story. I know for a fact certain individuals most certainly did not want him around because they felt he was looking over shoulders and, while his experience is fantastic, his knowledge of modern technique isn't what it once was. I've heard that other certain individuals felt honored to have him assist and felt his ideas were better than not-to-be-named prior coach.
It would be foolish not to use the expertise of the man who made S/C a major part of college sports. Duvall should be a deciple of Boyd E.

Boyd pinned Zach for the job a few years ago when he came back, but was overruled last minute by MR for Philip.

While I would have loved for that homecoming to have happened then, I'm glad we didn't get Zach at that time as we may not have the change to have him and Frost now.

But to answer the question, Boyd and Zach are extremely close

Gotta be honestCH, I don’t remember anything on the subject.But at my age I have trouble remembering what I had for breakfast most days.GBR.

for the record i wasn't trying to be a jerk to the OP and if it came across that i was i've got no problem apologizing.

it seems like anytime the S&C program comes up Epley's name is brought up like he's going to come in with all the answers. he was ahead of his time when he was here, but the rest of the country has caught up. the top 40 programs in the nation all have facilities that are on par with each other. from nutrition to sports psychology to lifting to data analysis....we aren't ahead like we used to and bringing back boyd epley isn't going to magically elevate our S&C above everyone else in the country.
we don't need Boyd Epley. we need the NEXT boyd epley. Hopefully Duvall is that guy.

here's 15 pages about the disfunction of the S&C Program
https://forum.huskermax.com/index.php?threads/mark-philipp.101285/

It would be foolish not to use the expertise of the man who made S/C a major part of college sports. Duvall should be a deciple of Boyd E.

He is, Duvall is a man that learned under the best...he is not like the new guys who don't push their atheletes to maximum performance. He knows that the old ways--mainly hard work--are best. Nutrition is probably the biggest improvement in recent years, if you can get your guys to follow up...and, because he is a kick-arse old school guy, he can get them to do the work.

https://nebraska.247sports.com/Arti...coach-Zach-Duval-has-a-lefty-resume-112914501

“Zach is the epitome of Husker Power,” said Gibbie Duval, Zach Duval’s younger brother, who is the owner and director of sports performance at Xplosive Edge, a sports performance training facility in Omaha that Zach Duval founded. “He’s a disciple of Boyd Epley and Mike Arthur.

A young Zach Duval first learned to squat from Boyd Epley, and the 10 Husker Power Principles remain the base of how both Zach Duval and Gibbie Duval train athletes today.

Zach Duval began his strength coaching career as a student assistant with Husker Power in 1994, and then transitioned to a graduate assistant role in 1995 and 1996 before being elevated to an assistant football strength coach spot from 1997-2002. It was during those years where he first met Frost, who was finishing off his decorated career as a collegiate quarterback.

Last edited:
Would you ask the builders of the original IBM about the new notebooks? Would you tap into Henry Ford for ideas on car designs? It may not be that extreme, but methods do change, even in hoisting chunks of metal around.

Would you ask the builders of the original IBM about the new notebooks? Would you tap into Henry Ford for ideas on car designs? It may not be that extreme, but methods do change, even in hoisting chunks of metal around.
Silliness. Lifts do not change nor does good technique. Modern "changes" revolve around computerization of routines and measurement of progress and newer equipment. Nutrition and lifestyle also impact S&C greatly, so there have been advances in these areas, but when you get right down to it, HARD WORK in the weight room can't be replaced by any computerized program or even by nutritional improvements.

Try to make a better mousetrap. The old ones work fine. This is not computer science or even automotive technology.

Last edited:
Silliness. Lifts do not change nor does good technique. Modern "changes" revolve around computerization of routines and measurement of progress and newer equipment. Nutrition and lifestyle also impact S&C greatly, so there have been advances in these areas, but when you get right down to it, HARD WORK in the weight room can't be replaced by any computerized program or even by nutritional improvements.

Try to make a better mousetrap. The old ones work fine. This is not computer science or even automotive technology.

That is too simplistic. We did squats in high school but that didn't mean my high school coach knew the best way to utilize the squat rack to make me a better football player. Like I alluded to before, we have no way of knowing whether Boyd has kept up with modern S&C/nutrition. Duval may be utilizing techniques and approaches that Boyd has never learned. Just because Boyd was once the greatest strength coach on planet Earth, does not mean he still is. If he is, and Duval is happy having him around, then great. But we don't need ignorant HuskerNation get all pissy because Boyd is not working with the football team if, as possible, he's not up to the task.

I'm not sure you understand the TC rules.

#TCRULES

To me it does. And, really, that's all that matters.

;)
I meant it doesn't matter whether you "care to know" the TC rules. You only get to know them if the TC cares to share them with you. ;)

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back