• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

I dearly miss...

I think we have seen that when Tanner had time to throw the ball he could make all of the throws. I think he will certainly get invited to camps at the very least. He has a nice arm but needs work reading progressions faster. When he got into a nice rhythm he was pretty impressive.

Keller, now he may have been the poster boy for over-hyping.

For nearly an entire year, Husker fans were fed a steady diet of Keller-hype. The Arizona State transfer was going to be a first round NFL draft pick. Nebraska was not just going to win the Big XII behind Keller, but there even was talk about the national championship. Expectations were high.

Then the season began. What had been sold as a future NFL star turned out to be the master of the check-down. He rarely threw the ball downfield, content instead to settle for the short pass. Even then, he wasn’t terribly accurate; he completed 63% of his passes with 14 touchdowns and ten interceptions. His passer efficiency rating of 133.7 trails the numbers Taylor Martinez and Joe Ganz put up.

And Nebraska lost with him at quarterback. It started with a blowout loss to Southern Cal, where he padded his stats in the second half after the Trojans pulled their starters. Keller’s best game arguably was a comeback victory against Ball State. Then came the wipeouts against Missouri, Oklahoma State and Texas A&M before a broken collarbone finally ended his football career against Texas.

https://www.cornnation.com/2017/6/2...s-football-quarterback-overrated-twenty-years
I watched Keller for a couple of years when I was living in Phoenix. The changes Callahan and crew tried to instill in him removed all of what made him an interesting prospect. He was a gunslinger, a guy who improvised. He was, dare I say, Ganz-ish, before even Ganz. Then he was told that he had to be disciplined, hang in a pocket, take the short pass instead of going for the big one. That was likely the smart thing for him to do, but it wasn't his nature, and it sure wasn't how he played before coming to Nebraska.

He might have been no more successful than his record showed, but he'd been far more entertaining playing like he did as a Sun Devil.

I watched Keller for a couple of years when I was living in Phoenix. The changes Callahan and crew tried to instill in him removed all of what made him an interesting prospect. He was a gunslinger, a guy who improvised. He was, dare I say, Ganz-ish, before even Ganz. Then he was told that he had to be disciplined, hang in a pocket, take the short pass instead of going for the big one. That was likely the smart thing for him to do, but it wasn't his nature, and it sure wasn't how he played before coming to Nebraska.

He might have been no more successful than his record showed, but he'd been far more entertaining playing like he did as a Sun Devil.

So basically, he was Jake Plummer. I would have taken that at Nebraska.

I think we have seen that when Tanner had time to throw the ball he could make all of the throws. I think he will certainly get invited to camps at the very least. He has a nice arm but needs work reading progressions faster. When he got into a nice rhythm he was pretty impressive.
The trend in the NFL is a mobile QB. Trend in the NCAA is more mobile QB. The trouble with Tanner is he is a statue and makes huge mistakes in judgement and he continues to throw high. If he had a decent QB coach, he may improve, but that is a BIG IF

Last edited:
The trend in the NFL is a mobile QB. Trend in the NCAA is more mobile QB. The trouble with Tanner is he is a statue and makes huge mistakes in judgement and he continues to throw high. If he had a decent QB coach, he may improve, but that is a BIG IF

Where is this trend you speak of? This "trend" is confined to four guys, Newton, Dak Prescott, Watson and Mariota. The Panthers have tried to make Cam Newton a pocket passer, they stopped that effort when he demonstrably showed he is not a good QB. He's a RB playing QB. Nobody except the Browns thought Kizer could be a starting QB, and thus far he's shown why. Paxton Lynch so highly thought of that Osweiler is the Broncos starter ahead of him, ditto for Siemian.

Brady, Rodgers, Trubisky, Dalton, Luck, Bortles, Alex Smith, Rivers, Goff, Keenum, Eli, McCown, Roethlesberger, Flacco and Cousins are not mobile. Brady's the best QB in the league and Cousins is likely going to be the highest paid QB in NFL history next season. The trend you speak of does not exist. It took a hit when RGIII's injuries killed his career and the recent injury to Watson isn't making that theory look very good either. NFL teams will want guys who can avoid a sack but it is not a prerequisite. Running QBs are never going to be a trend in the NFL because they make too much money and are so highly drafted. Lose one and your franchise is done for years.

Last edited:

How about Cutler?

jay-cutler-58cc40a22d1c3c03cc1d875e-g.gif

C

What TL really needs is a great QB coach to work with him. That'll for sure make him a first round draft pick. Someone like Danny Langsdorf. He used to coach Eli Manning. Wait. what's that you say?

Sorry!

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back