• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Huskers open as very early favorite against Akron

GoBlueDavid

Red Shirt
720x450.jpg

Early spring lines beginning to post..

Huskers open as very early favorite against Akron

May 21, 2018 By Tommy Rezac

The Nebraska Football season kicks off in 103 days when the Huskers welcome Akron to Memorial Stadium for Scott Frost’s first game as head coach.

The point spread opened today, and Nebraska is a very early 18.5 point favorite, according to VegasInsider.com.

Kickoff time and TV information for the first game has yet to be announced.

The largest spread favoring the Huskers in 2017 was 14.5 against Arkansas State.

At Link:

https://nebraskaradionetwork.com/2018/05/21/huskers-open-as-very-early-favorite-against-akron/

That is debatable. Finished 7-7 (6-2 in the MAC). Gave up over 40 points in five of their losses. Also 2-6 on the road.

Decent, not great. Good conference record and played in a minor bowl game. Not real impressive outside of the conference or away from home, as you pointed out.

Decent, not great. Good conference record and played in a minor bowl game. Not real impressive outside of the conference or away from home, as you pointed out.

If you consider 7-7 to be of an acceptable standard

Oh, poor Akron.

“If you can’t make a guy miss, you’ve got to be physical and run over people,” Makovicka said. “I’m not going to count a play over until I’m on the ground.”

Makovicka said he didn’t feel any of the seven or eight Akron players who had a hand on him — until the final guy was on his back.

“I just wanted to stay low,” he said.

The first-quarter touchdown set the tone for a 59-14 victory on a hot, humid day that left the Zips feeling sick. (Literally. One player vomited on the field). The season opener was the final of coach Tom Osborne’s career and the first victory of an undefeated, national championship season.

While certainly not the most meaningful, Makovicka’s touchdown run is one of the most impressive by a fullback — a position Husker fans hold dear to their hearts — in Nebraska football lore.

“The fullback exemplifies what Nebraska football is all about,” Akron coach Lee Owens said after the game. “He just flat wasn’t going to go down. We hit him and hit him and hit him.”

Makovicka finished the game with a career-high 59 yards on seven carries.

Akron players, meanwhile, must have learned to not bother getting in Makovicka’s way. He raced untouched into the end zone on his next touchdown.

Oh, poor Akron.

“If you can’t make a guy miss, you’ve got to be physical and run over people,” Makovicka said. “I’m not going to count a play over until I’m on the ground.”

Makovicka said he didn’t feel any of the seven or eight Akron players who had a hand on him — until the final guy was on his back.

“I just wanted to stay low,” he said.

The first-quarter touchdown set the tone for a 59-14 victory on a hot, humid day that left the Zips feeling sick. (Literally. One player vomited on the field). The season opener was the final of coach Tom Osborne’s career and the first victory of an undefeated, national championship season.

While certainly not the most meaningful, Makovicka’s touchdown run is one of the most impressive by a fullback — a position Husker fans hold dear to their hearts — in Nebraska football lore.

“The fullback exemplifies what Nebraska football is all about,” Akron coach Lee Owens said after the game. “He just flat wasn’t going to go down. We hit him and hit him and hit him.”

Makovicka finished the game with a career-high 59 yards on seven carries.

Akron players, meanwhile, must have learned to not bother getting in Makovicka’s way. He raced untouched into the end zone on his next touchdown.

What a great find !

If you consider 7-7 to be of an acceptable standard

7-7 is only an acceptable standard when Nebraska fans are looking up at it from 4-8. Otherwise, Akron is not a good football team and their 2017 record is misleading. They beat one (1) team last year with a winning record (hello Frank Solich).

T. Bowden found his QB (K. Nelson). As a FR dual-threat QB (6' 1", 210), he went 2-3 to finish the season. He throws a decent ball and his running skills balance him out. He’s a better thrower than a runner.

He won a state championship (FLA) and was the 2A POY but had only 4 verifiable offers. If you watch him play you will notice he has some glaring tendencies which is why he didn’t garner a Power 5 offer. Let me just say this, if Nebraska can knock him on his butt a couple of times… the dude will melt down.

Bad to worse... most of the skill guys on Akron’s offense are gone including the departure of 3 OL and several backups.

The bright spot… the defense returns 10 of 11 but their DC (Chuck Amato) retired at the end of last season. Let's put things into perspective; in their 7 losses they gave up an average of 37 points. Lane Kiffin and FAU put up 50 and didn't break a sweat against Akron.

The spread is 18.5 is because Vegas doesn’t know much about what Nebraska can do on offense. If I had to guess, the spread would have been about the same had Mike (Hip Hip… oh damn I broke my hip) Riley returned along with T. Lee and Bob (The Strain) Diaco. With the defense Nebraska put on the field last year, Vegas is still saying Nebraska is an 18.5 favorite.

Last edited:

7-7 is only an acceptable standard when Nebraska fans are looking up at it from 4-8. Otherwise, Akron is not a good football team and their 2017 record is misleading. They beat one (1) team last year with a winning record (hello Frank Solich).

T. Bowden found his QB (K. Nelson). As a FR dual-threat QB (6' 1", 210), he went 2-3 to finish the season. He throws a decent ball and his running skills balance him out. He’s a better thrower than a runner.

He won a state championship (FLA) and was the 2A POY but had only 4 verifiable offers. If you watch him play you will notice he has some glaring tendencies which is why he didn’t garner a Power 5 offer. Let me just say this, if Nebraska can knock him on his butt a couple of times… the dude will melt down.

Bad to worse... most of the skill guys on Akron’s offense are gone including the departure of 3 OL and several backups.

The bright spot… the defense returns 10 of 11 but their DC (Chuck Amato) retired at the end of last season. Let's put things into perspective; in their 7 losses they gave up an average of 37 points. Lane Kiffin and FAU put up 50 and didn't break a sweat against Akron.

The spread is 18.5 is because Vegas doesn’t know much about what Nebraska can do on offense. If I had to guess, the spread would have been about the same had Mike (Hip Hip… oh damn I broke my hip) Riley returned along with T. Lee and Bob (The Strain) Diaco. With the defense Nebraska put on the field last year, Vegas is still saying Nebraska is an 18.5 favorite.

Well said and agree on all

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back