• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Husker Time Machine

That's the tragedy of this game ... a team known for its run game; its comeback spurred by the run game; loses the game on a failed pass attempt.
Yeah, I agree. It has haunted me that that team with that O-line and FB and backfield did NOT run the ball on the one play when it mattered most. Yes, Miami should have known that it was coming, but I believe--much like Shania Twain--that you need to dance with the one that brought you, and for Nebraska in '83, that would be the running game. It's actually affected my play-calling as a coach in the same way. Whenever it's a do-or-die play like that, I refuse to call something that I'd regret not working afterwards. If they take away our bread & butter, they deserve to win. Likewise, I never want to have a "bread & butter" play that doesn't have a companion play (or two) that I can be just as confident in calling. That's really the logic behind my thinking that I described above: Nebraska's Option was working so well that it kills me that we didn't try it, but I'd have also been just as happy with a tried-and-true FB Trap off the same look. We'll never get to enjoy the vision of Mark Schellen standing in the end zone celebrating. I wouldn't have wanted to be the Miami LB who had to stop him cold in the hole for no gain.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back