• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Husker Commit John Swanda Selected by the Angels

He will for sure be going... Erstad and company knew that. So that scholarship (or a large percentage of it) is tied to Swanda for the 2017-18 season and we are not able to reallocate that. Yay B1G!

What's interesting is next year... Golmes a RHP from Millard West is already touching 94mph off the mound, and Kyle Perry a LHP was 10-0 with a sub 1.00 ERA for Millard South. Those two both are probably getting drafted, and the same thing happens. Double-edged sword if you will.

To much $$$ in the top 2 or 3 rounds. Think most take the money. But coaches still have to try.

Last edited:

How does other teams keep these recruits? Or do they?
First, if a kid is drafted first 5 rounds, the scouts have basically almost been guaranteed by said player and their family that they are going the MLB route. A team will rarely "waste" a pick on someone who hasn't told them they are for sure going. So most all teams lose the kids that are drafted this high. What comes into play is for Erstad, he has to find out what a kid and their family wants to do because he can't risk it. The terrible thing is recruiting is so accelerated you have no idea how good a kid will get and where his draft stock will go. On another board, someone stated "Erstad basically has to outrecruit the scouts to find guy's way better than their draft grade." That's tough.

But let's move on to how teams not in the B1G don't get screwed. In the B1G, once a scholarship is given and accepted, it's gone for that year whether the kid makes it to campus or not. So in this case with Swanda, we lose his scholarship percentage for the next year. But let's say he was signed with Arkansas, he Razorbacks can do one of two things. The less likely is they have another one or two guys at the position committed as well with the same or "overlapping" scholarship percentage, because once that kid signs, it frees up that scholarship for them. The more likely is Arkansas goes and gets a kid out of JUCO that was only a freshman but eligible out of high school to fill the void. Again, something we can't do since that money is tied up with Swanda.

Now let's rewind where Ben Miller and Derek Burkamper were drafted last year and chose to come back, but then go undrafted this year. That's going to play a big part in Alvarado, Meyers, and Schreibers decision and I fear we may lose all 3. So we not only lose Swandas scholarship, but we lose those 3s percentage, and we lose Probst who flipped to Iowa. We may be playing this season with only 8 scholarships. The only way to avoid this is to hold scholarships back then you can go grab JUCO guys.

Draft can hit you hard in the B1G even if you see it coming.

How does other teams keep these recruits? Or do they?
I was watching the TCU pitcher tonight they brought in late who was a 6'5 lefty and had nasty stuff (92 mph fastball and a devastating curve). Had to go look him up and it turns out he was drafted 41st overall by the Pirates, and turned down 1.5 million dollars to go to TCU. His parents basically said it would need to be 3 million to get him to go to the pros, they must have thought he was bluffing, and he wasn't.

Comparatively, our lefties throw usually 85-87 mph.

First, if a kid is drafted first 5 rounds, the scouts have basically almost been guaranteed by said player and their family that they are going the MLB route. A team will rarely "waste" a pick on someone who hasn't told them they are for sure going. So most all teams lose the kids that are drafted this high. What comes into play is for Erstad, he has to find out what a kid and their family wants to do because he can't risk it. The terrible thing is recruiting is so accelerated you have no idea how good a kid will get and where his draft stock will go. On another board, someone stated "Erstad basically has to outrecruit the scouts to find guy's way better than their draft grade." That's tough.

But let's move on to how teams not in the B1G don't get screwed. In the B1G, once a scholarship is given and accepted, it's gone for that year whether the kid makes it to campus or not. So in this case with Swanda, we lose his scholarship percentage for the next year. But let's say he was signed with Arkansas, he Razorbacks can do one of two things. The less likely is they have another one or two guys at the position committed as well with the same or "overlapping" scholarship percentage, because once that kid signs, it frees up that scholarship for them. The more likely is Arkansas goes and gets a kid out of JUCO that was only a freshman but eligible out of high school to fill the void. Again, something we can't do since that money is tied up with Swanda.

Now let's rewind where Ben Miller and Derek Burkamper were drafted last year and chose to come back, but then go undrafted this year. That's going to play a big part in Alvarado, Meyers, and Schreibers decision and I fear we may lose all 3. So we not only lose Swandas scholarship, but we lose those 3s percentage, and we lose Probst who flipped to Iowa. We may be playing this season with only 8 scholarships. The only way to avoid this is to hold scholarships back then you can go grab JUCO guys.

Draft can hit you hard in the B1G even if you see it coming.

So how high does a player have to be drafted before they decide to go pro before college usually? Also if you could change recruiting and NCAA rules to help keep players in college what would you do?

So how high does a player have to be drafted before they decide to go pro before college usually? Also if you could change recruiting and NCAA rules to help keep players in college what would you do?

With the new MLB signing bonus rules, teams will typically no longer draft a player in the first 10 rounds if they don't think they can sign him for the slot money. So if a team rates a player in the 5th rd where the slot money is 300k to 400k, but the player is clear he won't sign for less than 1 million, the team will almost certainly not even draft that player in the first 10 rds. So, like it was mentioned earlier, if a player is drafted in the first 10 rds, it is almost a certainty he will sign with the team. For example, only 2 players were drafted in the first 10 rds last year and didn't sign with their team.

Last edited:

Baseball is in a terrible spot with Title IX... there's really not much the NCAA can do for scholarships if football is going to stay around. It really depends on the kid, some kids will go no matter where they get drafted (usually because they are only getting 25% of a scholarship from the school they choose). Others want the education right away and try to up their draft status, so there's no real clear answer there.

Only thing I know of right now is that the B1G absolutely has to change their rules for baseball if they want to have consistent competitors nationally. Otherwise we need to be happy with where we are at. Making a regional 3 out of 4 years with the restrictions we have is unbelievable.

I guess the one thing I would change is a kid either needs to declare after his third year or not, don't let them get drafted then come back.

Last edited:
With the new MLB signing bonus rules, teams will typically no longer draft a player in the first 10 rounds if they don't think they can sign him for the slot money. So if a team rates a player in the 5th rd where the slot money is 300k to 400k, but the player is clear he won't sign for less than 1 million, the team will almost certainly not even draft that player in the first 10 rds. So, like it was mentioned earlier, if a player is drafted in the first 10 rds, it is almost a certainty he will sign with the team. For example, only 2 players were drafted in the first 10 rds last year, and didn't sign with their team.
This is all a reason I was floored when I looked up that the TCU pitchers family was telling teams he would need 3 million to go pro right away. The Pirates drafted him first round and offered 1.5 million and turns out they weren't kidding, he went to school instead of MLB.

Baseball is in a terrible spot with Title IX... there's really not much the NCAA can do for scholarships if football is going to stay around. It really depends on the kid, some kids will go no matter where they get drafted (usually because they are only getting 25% of a scholarship from the school they choose). Others want the education right away and try to up their draft status, so there's no real clear answer there.

Only thing I know of right now is that the B1G absolutely has to change their rules for baseball if they want to have consistent competitors nationally. Otherwise we need to be happy with where we are at. Making a regional 3 out of 4 years with the restrictions we have is unbelievable.

I guess the one thing I would change is a kid either needs to declare after his third year or not, don't let them get drafted then come back.

What B1G rules are different than other conferences?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back