• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Husker Band

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do the practice squad players get to go to the bowl games?

SURELY you aren't going to go on to say that if the practice squad players get a free trip to the bowl game that Band members should too.

Compare the band to regents, adminstrators, etc. But not to actual players/coaches.

Just my opinion. You value the marching band greatly. I don't. Simple as that. If it was a "50 person pep band" I'd be less inclined to say anything but spending money for 290 (!!!) kids to go to a bowl game where the U is losing money...will never ever make sense to me.

You'll get your way every year so try not to get your panties bunched up too much over my opinion.

Listen, guy, I don't know where I disrespected you enough for you to feel justified in saying I shouldn't "get my panties in a bunch," but I really don't appreciate it.

It is of course your right to not like the band. But it is wrong to make the factually incorrect assertion that we lose money because the band is going. The band's travel throuout the year is funded by the athletic department. Last time I checked, our athletic department was running deep in the black.

The band is part of the game day experience. Nebraska had a band before it had a football team. Thousands of people line up to hear the band play before home games. Every major program in college football takes their band to bowl games.

Find some other parade to rain on.

Listen, guy, I don't know where I disrespected you enough for you to feel justified in saying I shouldn't "get my panties in a bunch," but I really don't appreciate it.

Lighten up.

It is of course your right to not like the band. But it is wrong to make the factually incorrect assertion that we lose money because the band is going. The band's travel throuout the year is funded by the athletic department. Last time I checked, our athletic department was running deep in the black.

I'm talking about losing money on the BOWL TRIP. Ya see...the conference, be it the Big 10 or the Big 12, allows each bowl team a certain amount of money for travel expenses. http://thegazette.com/2011/12/19/bi...-bowls-schools-could-net-more-than-2-million/ In this 2nd article it states that Nebraska would LOSE MONEY going to the Holiday bowl (lose money...as in expenses would exceed the allowance) because of the $150k blown flying the band to the game...and they only broke even in 2009 because the band didn't go. http://huskerextra.com/sports/football/article_61f80b6f-705c-583d-b0fd-312173b66f7b.html

The band is part of the game day experience. Nebraska had a band before it had a football team. Thousands of people line up to hear the band play before home games. Every major program in college football takes their band to bowl games.

Find some other parade to rain on.

The band may be part of YOUR game day experience but to me it's just background noise...and something reportedly taking place on the field while I'm taking a leak and grabbing some refreshments at halftime. But you are right...most or all take them to the bowl games. I'm not disputing that...just giving my opinion that, ESPECIALLY if the expense isn't covered by the conference allowance, it's a waste of money.

Let it rain!

Last edited:
The band may be part of YOUR game day experience but to me it's just background noise...and something reportedly taking place on the field while I'm taking a leak and grabbing some refreshments at halftime.

I don't think you'll be winning the Band Fan of the Year Award this year.

Lighten up.

You really are quite rude.

Listen, is the point of a a bowl to make money for the football program? Is that the sole point of having a football team?

No, it's not. Regardless if the athletic department comes out a few thousand in the red or black based on the bowl game, we aren't hurting for money on the year as a whole. If Tom Osborne didn't want the band to come, the band wouldn't come. Fact of the matter is, the band is a tradition loved by many at Nebraska. As much as you seem to value tradition... seems like you get awfully selective as to which traditions you think deserve time of day.

Last edited:

You really are quite rude.

Listen, is the point of a a bowl to make money for the football program? Is that the sole point of having a football team?

No, it's not. Regardless if the athletic department comes out a few thousand in the red or black based on the bowl game, we aren't hurting for money on the year as a whole. If Tom Osborne didn't want the band to come, the band wouldn't come. Fact of the matter is, the band is a tradition loved by many at Nebraska. As much as you seem to value tradition... seems like you get awfully selective as to which traditions you think deserve time of day.

It's MY contention that the university shouldn't spend more money on a bowl game than the conference allowance. You disagree. The folk that write the checks agree with you. It's all good.

The band makes the game experience so much better.

I would say a good band CAN make the gameday experience much better....just not ours....there is zero creativity and if you listen during the game they play the same thing every game and have fro several years

I would say a good band CAN make the gameday experience much better....just not ours....there is zero creativity and if you listen during the game they play the same thing every game and have fro several years

PA Guy: And NOW the pride of ALLLLLL Nebraska with yet ANOTHER unrecognizable medley from a dead composer that you won't recognize and will barely be able to hear!

Me: I'll have a dog and a coke.

;)

The only time I can remember the Band not going to a Bowl Game (That I attended, at least) was the Holiday Bowl Vs Arizona a few years ago. Something about the weather caused them to abandon the trip for safety reasons.

Last edited:
Actually... I just realized that the Band IS scheduled to be there. They are scheudled to perform at Universal Studios on New Years Eve at 2:30 or maybe it's 4:30.

No, I'm actually of the opinion that the only people that should go is the team/coaches....I was just curious if the PS also got to go with the rest of the team...

After reading that article posted the other day (something about the downfall of the bowl system), it just reaffirmed my opinion.....Went on to talk about how Minnesota went to the Insight Bowl, and had spent like $1.4m on 700+ people on airfare, food, hotel, etc., before the game was even played....That, IMO, is ridiculous

No, I'm actually of the opinion that the only people that should go is the team/coaches....I was just curious if the PS also got to go with the rest of the team...

After reading that article posted the other day (something about the downfall of the bowl system), it just reaffirmed my opinion.....Went on to talk about how Minnesota went to the Insight Bowl, and had spent like $1.4m on 700+ people on airfare, food, hotel, etc., before the game was even played....That, IMO, is ridiculous

Read the same article. Presumably we're going to lose money anyway. I love the band. It is part of the whole day's performance. Since we can't abolish the bowl system, let the athletic department make their own decision and spend what is needed.

First, I'll say that I'm all for the band going. A bowl game, especially according to the no-playoff crowd, is supposed to be a reward for the team. It is not initended to be a money-maker, or anything else outside of the BCS championship game. Therefore, I say reward the university - the players, coaches, athletic trainers, equipment managers, administrators, regents, and their spouses and families.

Second, regarding the argument that taking the band is a money-loser: as a member of a conference like the Big Ten, it really isn't because the travel "allowance" is not the extent of bowl income received. We all must remember (as athletic directors, regents, and administrators at all Big Ten schools do) that bowl money is distributed a certain way to all conference universities. Sure, each school is provided an "allowance" for expenses, and the allowance may be smaller at the lower-level bowls, but the reaminder of the bowl pot from all Big Ten bowl games is divided evenly among all 12 schools in the conference. Therefore, even though taking the band to a lower-level bowl may mean the school will pay more than its "allowance" for that game, the school will still receive its allotment of the overall distribution of bowl funds received by the conference from bowl games (of which there are TEN this season, and two are BCS games). That should ease the pain of paying a bit extra for bringing the band. If you don't believe that, in my mind, it seems as though you are arguing that we can't afford to take the band because we would be losing the financial battle against Indiana and Minnesota if we do.

The "practice squad" IS part of the team. Not sure what you mean by that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back