• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Hughes gone

Status
Not open for further replies.
The most frustrating aspect of the ST unit for me was the kickoff return unit. I do see reason for optimism with the emergence of Stanley Morhan Jr. back there. It took too long to "discover" him though.

You could start by doing what teams did to NU in 2014. Just have Foltz roll out and kick it rugby style. That throws off a lot returners at this level. Or if you know the coverage unit is "short handed", tell Foltz to angle the kick to the sidleine or out of bounds.

But again, I apologize profusely. The special teams unit was excellent in all areas.

They did make the adjustments you suggested numerous times during the season.

My salary issue is a direct result of better special teams play across the nation and previously at Nebraska, by people making half as much with more responsibilities. He's making that much money and we were extremely basic in that phase of the game, and as threads have shown, frankly we were disappointing there.

Not sure on how short-handed they were, but I know whoever they had running down there they weren't as good as Janovich, Reed, Ferguson, Jones, etc., and that is actually why they used more wrinkles, because they didn't have the talent to compete straight up and tried to gain an advantage in that phase. The wrinkles on special teams aren't all that elaborate, and quite honestly is how I can tell who has better players and S&C program. No matter how injured we were, the Red Raiders didn't have better football players on special teams than us.

In all this back and forth about Coach Read's salary I wonder exactly what his full duties are. Has Coach Riley ever address this issue to the press or in an interview? IMO if Coach Riley is good with the situation then so am I, especially in the light of the Hughes "release."

Do we even know if rugby punting is something Foltz is efficient at?

Our NET punting wasn't THAT bad that we needed to try having Foltz change his style to something be may not be comfortable with. It was actually better than it was in 2014, and I don't remember a single poster wanting Pelini to have Foltz rugby punt.

NET punting wasn't as bad as say...use of the quote function in this thread. ;)

I only remember Foltz doing a rugby punt once or twice this year, and I think it was wind related. I think he could be efficient at angling punts, though. I just feel with a punter as good as Foltz, they should be better than 45th in net punting.

And I noticed on one of my replies, I replying to a quote from me that was actually from Warhorse. I'm not sure if I started that issue or not, but I'll be honest, I have no clue how to fix it.

I only remember Foltz doing a rugby punt once or twice this year, and I think it was wind related. I think he could be efficient at angling punts, though. I just feel with a punter as good as Foltz, they should be better than 45th in net punting.

And I noticed on one of my replies, I replying to a quote from me that was actually from Warhorse. I'm not sure if I started that issue or not, but I'll be honest, I have no clue how to fix it.

I would like to see some improvement also.

Nebraska NET punting rankings
2014: 47
2015: 45

I hope we can break into at least the Top35 range.

I would like to see some improvement also.

Nebraska NET punting rankings
2014: 47
2015: 45

I hope we can break into at least the Top35 range.

I don't recall any, but they try to block a punt last year? That was something I really liked seeing in 2014 with Kieron Williams. When DPE went down, I thought that might be something they would try more.

My salary issue is a direct result of better special teams play across the nation and previously at Nebraska, by people making half as much with more responsibilities. He's making that much money and we were extremely basic in that phase of the game, and as threads have shown, frankly we were disappointing there.

Not sure on how short-handed they were, but I know whoever they had running down there they weren't as good as Janovich, Reed, Ferguson, Jones, etc., and that is actually why they used more wrinkles, because they didn't have the talent to compete straight up and tried to gain an advantage in that phase. The wrinkles on special teams aren't all that elaborate, and quite honestly is how I can tell who has better players and S&C program. No matter how injured we were, the Red Raiders didn't have better football players on special teams than us.

Honest question, how much game/sideline management does he do? What other management responsibilities does he have both during a game and the rest of the week? I saw him doing much more than just ST coordinating on the sideline this year and maybe that is where some of his salary is going.

C

Honest question, how much game/sideline management does he do? What other management responsibilities does he have both during a game and the rest of the week? I saw him doing much more than just ST coordinating on the sideline this year and maybe that is where some of his salary is going.

C

I think that is some of it. Seems like he and Riley are talking a lot on the sidelines.

NET punting rankings
Texas Tech: 57
Nebraska: 45

Kickoff return defense rankings
Texas Tech: 117
Nebraska: 22

Punt return rankings
Texas Tech: 92
Nebraska: 42

Kickoff return rankings
Texas Tech: 80
Nebraska: 122

FG percentage ranking
Texas Tech: 17
Nebraska: 41

LOL - I knew someone was going to miss the point and try to say "Texas Tech wasn't even as good as us in special teams, why are we comparing" as if the point was to switch coaches or get the results they had.

Because I think you are failing to grasp the reason I brought up Texas Tech doing more than us on special teams and their coach parlaying it into a promotion and pay raise...

Last edited:
In all this back and forth about Coach Read's salary I wonder exactly what his full duties are. Has Coach Riley ever address this issue to the press or in an interview? IMO if Coach Riley is good with the situation then so am I, especially in the light of the Hughes "release."

Not sure the entirety of his duties, but I know that first and foremost he is special teams coordinator, which was a let down when compared to the salary.

Not sure the entirety of his duties, but I know that first and foremost he is special teams coordinator, which was a let down when compared to the salary.

If that was his only job description then I would tend to agree with the caveat that it was only year one and no DPE. See post 397.

C

If that was his only job description then I would tend to agree with the caveat that it was only year one and no DPE. See post 397.

C

C

He is responsible for some game management things, and he also helps recruit and identify talent. Gets some names back to Vaughn and McShane. He has many more duties than just STC. We are getting in to "what are said duties worth" and that's all opinion. All i'm saying is that we had a guy coaching special teams in 2014 for not even six figures and got some pretty good results, and BR isn't this monster on the recruiting trail for another 350k.

But again, we are splitting hairs for what that's worth and to whom. I'll take another Trent Bray for half the salary and get the same results on special teams, same screw ups with the clock management in 2015, and do better on the recruiting trail. All opinion obviously, and I don't want to fire BR. But he's overpaid currently for his results.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back