• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Hughes gone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well first of all, I'm not sure how we got on KO coverage, since that was very good this year. But with a punter like Foltz, 45th in net punting and 104th in punt return defense is atrocious. So if that means having Foltz kick differently to account for the deficiencies on the coverage team (in your eyes), then so be it. Since that is Read's entire job on the staff, I would expect him to be creative enough to come up with a plan.

But net punting includes however many yards the opposing team had on the return.

What's better? A team punts from the 10 to the 50. The returner gains 10 yards to the 40? Or a team punts from the 10 to the 40, the returner gets 1 yard to the 39? In the first scenario, the return defense looks poor. In the 2nd scenario, it looks great. Hence why net punting is the stat to go by.

I would say that the lack of LBs, the injuries to LB, and us redshirting two very good DB recruits that came in, special teams was going to be tough this year.

That being said, for 450k/season I would have liked to see some wrinkles to help in that area, which is why I thought we would bring him in. Texas Tech tries to do something new on special teams every week, that outside the box thinking landed their ST coach a co-OC job and recruiting coordinator gig at his alma-mater. We really just kept things basic and crossed our fingers that our "under-manned" squads would get the job done.

But net punting includes however many yards the opposing team had on the return.

What's better? A team punts from the 10 to the 50. The returner gains 10 yards to the 40? Or a team punts from the 10 to the 40, the returner gets 1 yard to the 39? In the first scenario, the return defense looks poor. In the 2nd scenario, it looks great. Hence why net punting is the stat to go by.

But we aren't talking about punting the ball 30 yards. Foltz is an all-conference punter. Both punt return defense and net punting should be MUCH better than they are.

You're right, I would love to have a really good special teams unit.

If it the unit doesn't improve next year, then I'm with you. He doesn't seem to recruit, so this unit needs to be lights out. But I'm also able to recognize areas that it has improved under Read, and note that it was year 1 and he was shorthanded with a lack of LBs.

All this talk about Read in a Hughs thread made me think back to the year and realize that Bruce does a bunch of in game management on the sideline and probably lots of management in general for the team. Maybe he has responsibilities that go beyond just ST and the angst over his salary is not founded in actual facts. I know, I know, he is the ST coach and that is all that matters. :rolleyes:

C

All this talk about Read in a Hughs thread made me think back to the year and realize that Bruce does a bunch of in game management on the sideline and probably lots of management in general for the team. Maybe he has responsibilities that go beyond just ST and the angst over his salary is not founded in actual facts. I know, I know, he is the ST coach and that is all that matters. :rolleyes:

C

If you take into consideration that NU did not previously have a full-time dedicated ST coach, you would expect the special teams overall to be a strength of the team.

Need to turn this thread into a SNL classic....Husker Football Style:

Our top story tonight, Defensive Line Coach Hank Hughes is still fired

[video=youtube;butZyxI-PRs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=butZyxI-PRs[/video]

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back