• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

How many game outcomes do the officials end up deciding?

WestTexasHusker

All Legend
10 Year Member
Are we watching a game where the officials, through bad calls and missed calls, ultimately decide a decent portion of the outcomes?

I think a good example of officials deciding the outcome of a game is the one we lost against PSU in 1982.

Definitely out of bounds catch but the PSU alum ref called it in with 9 seconds to go. PSU went on to win the game with this bad call.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...-top-5-controversies-in-husker-history#slide1

"The call was a 15-yard reception that Penn State tight end Mike McCloskey had at the Nebraska 2 on the winning drive. Replays show McCloskey failed to get a foot inbounds."

"When he caught it, I said, 'That's it. We're done,'" Gattuso said. "He was out of bounds. Then I heard the crowd roar. I was like, 'Wow. We got one there.'"

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...ka-a-rivalry-mired-in-controversy-intensifies
"How do I know that call was errant? A call that Penn State and Nebraska fans have been arguing about for thirty years? What Tom Shatel of theOmaha World-Herald called the "Crooked Sideline"?

"At one point in my professional career, before I arrived at Penn State, I happened to talk with someone at work about Penn State football. This man had been a college football official in 1982. He was not the official who made the call, but he was officiating on the sidelines for that Penn State-Nebraska game, and he was involved in the consultation on that call."

It was a bad call, he told me. Nebraska had sent its game tape to prove to the conference officials in charge of officiating that game that they had been wronged. There was a referee meeting the week after that game to review the game tape, go over what happened and make sure such a bad call didn't happen again."

Referee was Bill Parkinson and one of the side line judges might have been Jack O"Rourke.

karmafield_crop_north.jpg

I think a good example of officials deciding the outcome of a game is the one we lost against PSU in 1982.

Definitely out of bounds catch but the PSU alum ref called it in with 9 seconds to go. PSU went on to win the game with this bad call.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...-top-5-controversies-in-husker-history#slide1

"The call was a 15-yard reception that Penn State tight end Mike McCloskey had at the Nebraska 2 on the winning drive. Replays show McCloskey failed to get a foot inbounds."

"When he caught it, I said, 'That's it. We're done,'" Gattuso said. "He was out of bounds. Then I heard the crowd roar. I was like, 'Wow. We got one there.'"

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...ka-a-rivalry-mired-in-controversy-intensifies
"How do I know that call was errant? A call that Penn State and Nebraska fans have been arguing about for thirty years? What Tom Shatel of theOmaha World-Herald called the "Crooked Sideline"?

"At one point in my professional career, before I arrived at Penn State, I happened to talk with someone at work about Penn State football. This man had been a college football official in 1982. He was not the official who made the call, but he was officiating on the sidelines for that Penn State-Nebraska game, and he was involved in the consultation on that call."

It was a bad call, he told me. Nebraska had sent its game tape to prove to the conference officials in charge of officiating that game that they had been wronged. There was a referee meeting the week after that game to review the game tape, go over what happened and make sure such a bad call didn't happen again."

Referee was Bill Parkinson and one of the side line judges might have been Jack O"Rourke.

karmafield_crop_north.jpg

I think we all know there are some horrible, horrible calls, but to say one call cost a team the game is where I take issue. 60 minutes of football, a lot goes on. Bad play calls, bad execution etc. Can an official have a part? Absolutely, but to blame an official for a loss is a cop out.

I think we all know there are some horrible, horrible calls, but to say one call cost a team the game is where I take issue. 60 minutes of football, a lot goes on. Bad play calls, bad execution etc. Can an official have a part? Absolutely, but to blame an official for a loss is a cop out.
I agree my old Rugby coach used to say. If you play the game in such a way that one cal can decide the game. It will and you probably won't like it.

I generally agree. I think there are a few exceptions though. 1982 at PSU was one. Another was the '94 OB. Even Bobby Bowden admitted they got away with one (not necessarily by officiating).

Yes, you want to play in such a way that the officiating doesn't make a difference. But in a tight game it could be a factor.

I generally agree. I think there are a few exceptions though. 1982 at PSU was one. Another was the '94 OB. Even Bobby Bowden admitted they got away with one (not necessarily by officiating).

Yes, you want to play in such a way that the officiating doesn't make a difference. But in a tight game it could be a factor.
I agree. In most games, one bad call will not decide a game. But I like the point you made. In a tight game, where you have two teams who are very equally matched, playing at their highest level of potential, one bad call will most likely decide the game. I believe this does describe the 1982 Penn State game. I'm sure there are other examples out there.

Absolutely a factor no argument but the OP says 'decide the outcome' so maybe it is semantics but the way I interpret it is the main cause.

I am usually pretty apprehensive in responding to these kind of posts because it really can get out of control. I would agree that one bad call doesn't usually decide a game. However, it seems that I have seen a lot more instances of one team seemingly not getting any breaks. I watched a few games (not ones with Nebraska involved as my bias would likely be in question) where the timing of calls were very convenient. Some things that I have seen that makes me question some things:
- I have seen games where there were no calls until one team started pulling away and then all of a sudden they were being called for a lot of petty penalties (usually valid but ones not called earlier in the game).
- I have seen games where pass interference was called (or not called) at times where it most definitely affected the game.
- I have seen calls where the officials spotted the ball 1-2 yards off of the actual location (overturned by coaches challenge)
- I have seen touchdowns called even when the ball carrier stepped out of bounds multiple times (overturned by coaches challenge)

One of my frustrations is hearing that holding could be called on every play. I generally with "letting the guys play but if a holding call is likely the reason a play was highly successful then that call has to be made. I applaud teams with very low penalty rates. Presnap penalties such as false start, illegal formation, etc. are a direct reflection of discipline and confidence. However, this does not clear those teams of holding, pass interference, etc.

Long story short, I have a high conspiracy theory level during Husker games (lol) but I do not believe that anyone can completely overlook their bias, even the refs, so there will also be some questionable calls. I do believe there should be a system of accountability (something along the line of driver's license point system) that the officials are subject to.

Your response strikes me as "knee jerk." Coachspeak is to say that "officials do not determine the outcome" as that is what they are instructed to say by conference and league officials; yet, how many times have we seen coaches openly complain and get slapped down by those same conference and league officials? The dirty little secret of sports is that officials do and can control a game to the point that it affects the outcome. How many times have we all observed a team gaining momentum and challenging to go ahead in a game only to have a series of penalties or stops in action break the rhythm of that momentum? I hold that this is especially true with holding calls in football as it is the one call that conceivably can be called on every play. Lack of holding calls against one team over the other has produced losses in several Nebraska games; in those games, the other team was never called for holding. This year an interesting stat was that in one of our games, (I believe it was Minnesota) the announces remarked that it was the first holding call against a Nebraska opponent in three years. That is a clear indication of bad officiating at the least and an overt bias in general. I see it in the pros all the time as well. I have observed it personally in basketball and football. I am certain others on this board can tell stories from other sports as well.

Your response strikes me as "knee jerk." Coachspeak is to say that "officials do not determine the outcome" as that is what they are instructed to say by conference and league officials; yet, how many times have we seen coaches openly complain and get slapped down by those same conference and league officials? The dirty little secret of sports is that officials do and can control a game to the point that it affects the outcome. How many times have we all observed a team gaining momentum and challenging to go ahead in a game only to have a series of penalties or stops in action break the rhythm of that momentum? I hold that this is especially true with holding calls in football as it is the one call that conceivably can be called on every play. Lack of holding calls against one team over the other has produced losses in several Nebraska games; in those games, the other team was never called for holding. This year an interesting stat was that in one of our games, (I believe it was Minnesota) the announces remarked that it was the first holding call against a Nebraska opponent in three years. That is a clear indication of bad officiating at the least and an overt bias in general. I see it in the pros all the time as well. I have observed it personally in basketball and football. I am certain others on this board can tell stories from other sports as well.

Obviously people will disagree, but it is not a knee jerk reaction. There is a lot in your statement that I generally disagree with but the bold is where I will comment. You are judging that the outcome of a game is dependent on how many holding calls are made against one team vs. another. I will give you bad officiating not sure on overt bias, but again bad officiating does not mean an official dictated the outcome of a game. Is it possible they missed personal foul calls against the other team? What about false starts, off sides really any other penalty? To blame a loss an official is a knee jerk reaction. To say they had a part, I would not argue.

As much as I respect you, this one you are going to have to prove because a lot of us disagree with you.
My point to saying zero is. THe teams has a problem with penalties not say Neb but anyteam. It keeps happening game after game. Do you blame the officials or do you as a team try to clean up what is going wrong on the field. Sure there could be a PI called lets say late in the game giving the other team a chance to score to tie or go ahead. We can yell and scream all day at that call come in here on Sunday and have thread after thread saying how we got screwed and how bad the officiating is.

Now turn it around and the same play going the other way and the Rec or whomever is mugged and not a call. We cheer and jump up and down saying it was a good no call. How long has it been on here we are still arguing the 1 sec call vs Texas. THere was clearly one sec left. Reverse that and we would be screaming if they let the clock play off or was reviewed and said game over. That play has been reviewed time after time after time after time...and yep one sec left.

Are some officials bad? Of course. The team can let the bad calls drag em down or they can stand up and move forward.

It's a game of imperfections from just about ....everyone

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back