• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

How good is the B1G, and how much better will it be in 2019?

1. The Purdue QB is Elijah Sindelar. He beat out David Blough but had an ACL. Kid is a baller.
2. Wisconsin QB Jack Coan (FR) looked good running the O against Miami tonight. RB Taylor is back with 7 of 10 OL.
3. Ohio St QB Haskins hasn't decided on the NFL yet. OSU has ridiculous talent.
4. Nebraska has holes at WR, RB, OL (center) plus many holes on the defense.

Thoughts?

Good thoughts

1. Sometimes "ballin'" after an ACL tear and recovery doesn't leave you quite the same as before. It is tough to do everything you have before, and sometimes even the trust in your own legs is diminished (I sometimes wonder if this happened to DPE).
2. Taylor is great, but I'm not sold on Coan. He may get beat out by a frosh next year.
3. Haskins will be gone. Especially now that Herbert is staying at Oregon
4. Sure, but the offensive line worries me a lot less that some. I think they will end up even better than this past season.

This take didn’t age well. Purdue, who laid waste to tOSU, has given up 49 first half points to SEC also-ran Auburn. Let’s see how the rest of the B1G does.

You are dreaming if you think a paritially committed Urb and tOSU could beat Bama. Let’s Keep it real.
Watch what a "partially committed Urb and tOSU" do to Washington, and then tell me that they'd be lacking in focus. If anything, his retiring would have greatly improved their chances.

See when I read posts I feel like there is a lot of “people” that downplay Nebraska’s strengths and play up other teams. I think Nebraska will be improved I also think Minnesota, Purdue, and Wisconsin will be better. I think Iowa will be good, like this year. I think it is going to be a fun season.
You can read my other posts and judge for yourself. I also think that we'll be improved, but it won't be a "fun season" if people are expecting 11-1.

This take didn’t age well. Purdue, who laid waste to tOSU, has given up 49 first half points to SEC also-ran Auburn. Let’s see how the rest of the B1G does.
I thought that Purdue would show up better than they did, but they've been inconsistent all year. Auburn always has talent. It looks like Gus should be his own OC from now on.

As I'm watching Wisconsin strip the paint off of Miami, and after watching Minnesota toss around Georgia Tech last night, I'm convinced that the early non-conference stumbles of the B1G created a false impression that the conference was down. I expect OSU to whitewash Washington, and I also expect Penn State and Michigan to win. I like Northwestern and Purdue's chances; I question Michigan State's depth; I expect Iowa to choke in their bowl game like normal. Put it all together, and I think that we end up around 7-2 or 6-3 in B1G bowl games. With just a little bit of juggling--swap Michigan State and Penn State, and swap Iowa and Wisconsin--and I think that the B1G could have won every bowl game.

How good is the B1G? Only the SEC has an argument for being in the same class, and I think that the B1G would win more match-ups if they played head-to-head based on where each conference's teams are ranked.

Now what about next year? I'm looking over everyone's schedules for 2019, and while nobody is betting on Rutgers to get to .500, it's hard to find any other teams that aren't good enough to get into bowl games. Here are my way-too-early predictions for who will go bowling from the B1G next year:

West
Wisconsin
Nebraska
Purdue
Minnesota
Iowa
(Northwestern and Illinois are bubble teams depending on how their non-conference schedule goes)

East
Penn State
Ohio State
Michigan
Michigan State
(Indiana and Maryland are bubble teams depending on how their non-conference schedule goes)

If you want to talk about a strong argument against playing 9 conference games, how about the fact that it probably kept Indiana, Maryland, and Illinois from going to bowl games this year? It's likely to cost at least 2 bubble teams the opportunity to go to a bowl game next year.
Agree wholeheartedly. Good post

Fortunately almost nobody expects 11-1. Maybe nemesis but he hasn't been around in a while.

I heard that Mr. "10 wins, take it to the bank" curled up in a fetal position in his closet after the Michigan game and hasn't been heard from since.

Watch what a "partially committed Urb and tOSU" do to Washington, and then tell me that they'd be lacking in focus. If anything, his retiring would have greatly improved their chances.
Some say this is the best Bama team in recent history. tOSU’s run defense is suspect. No doubt Haskins is the real deal but I don’t think there is enough there to stay w the Tide. Washington? Yeah they should handle them but I wouldn’t lay the 6.5.

Based on the last year, and changes in the next (new Purdue QB, probably new starter at OSU, new Badger QB starter probably, new starters at Northwestern) there are open opportunities to make dramatic gains. The schedule and opposition changes are lining up in interesting ways. We have our own holes to fill at WR and RB, but things are looking up.
QB at Purdue wont be new He was starter for Season and 1/2 till injured,Blough came in when he was hurt and played at High Level, but if Purdue has problems wont be because of QB IMO

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back