• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

How Far is Scott Frost from Taking Nebraska to the College Football Playoff?

Worse than that. After lots of graphs and charts on points scored and points given up where he completely misuses those two statistics and only those two statistics, the answer was "quite a ways".

He even uses a trend line to try and predict how many points Frost's D will allow next year.

I like this quote:

Seen as a scatterplot, there is a clear relationship between scoring offense and defense.

I put this plot together (estimating to nearest whole number), and looked at the regression analysis. It's R-square is 0.20, which basically means that there is no correlation at all. This guy needs a stats for beginner book, STAT.

I like this quote:

I put this plot together (estimating to nearest whole number), and looked at the regression analysis. It's R-square is 0.20, which basically means that there is no correlation at all. This guy needs a stats for beginner book, STAT.
I'm wonder what the prediction interval is. Likely a massive spread that is worse than a guess.

I like this quote:

“that guy” is working on a masters degree in applied statistics.

I said clear relationship, not correlation. That relationship is that if you give up more points, you have to score a lot more.

Uh, no. That’s not what the trendline means. How did I misuse the statistics?
I wish I had known it was you. I would've been nicer. :Redface:

You're basing whether he will make it to the playoffs on one thing. Scoring. And, you're projecting the scoring at UCF onto a completely different set of players against completely different competition.

That’s the thing. He got hired based on his work at UCF. It is absolutely appropriate to look at what he has done there because he is expected to do it at NU.

As for only looking at scoring...yep. In football only two metrics really matter. How many point you score and how many you prevent your opponent from scoring. Everything else is just trivia.

I talked about this point at length on the CobCast podcast a few weeks ago.

Last edited:

A guy with way to much time on his hands put this article together.....:Cautious:

Lots of graphs and numbers and scary stuff like that.....not for the faint of heart everyday football fan....

....be warned....:Stirthepot: X's and O's ahead......:Rockon:

Click at your own risk.....

https://www.cornnation.com/2018/1/1...king-nebraska-to-the-college-football-playoff

No...sorry, she wont be there.....:Woohoo2:

football-laces-outline-sexy-football-player-costume.jpg
I'm not going to lie anymore I didn't buy Playboy for the articles.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back