• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked How are the Huskers trending with last week's (Spring Game) visitors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

This surprised me a bit when discussing Calvin Avery: "The Skinny: This was Avery's second visit to Nebraska since last summer and his latest experience was a special one. He now has two Bishop Dunne teammates heading to Nebraska in signee Damion Daniels and 2019 athlete Marquez Beason. The biggest question might not be if he commits to Nebraska, but if they have the numbers along the defensive line to fit him into the class."

This surprised me a bit when discussing Calvin Avery: "The Skinny: This was Avery's second visit to Nebraska since last summer and his latest experience was a special one. He now has two Bishop Dunne teammates heading to Nebraska in signee Damion Daniels and 2019 athlete Marquez Beason. The biggest question might not be if he commits to Nebraska, but if they have the numbers along the defensive line to fit him into the class."

Agreed. Obviously the staff has to recruit to the numbers they have available, but I would be baffled if NU just let Avery walk. HAVE to find room for that kid. I'm sure i'll take some flak for saying this, but NU may end up regretting taking Mapieu so early.. Avery seems like a better fit for the NG position IMO.

Agreed. Obviously the staff has to recruit to the numbers they have available, but I would be baffled if NU just let Avery walk. HAVE to find room for that kid. I'm sure i'll take some flak for saying this, but NU may end up regretting taking Mapieu so early.. Avery seems like a better fit for the NG position IMO.

We can both take flak...Mapieu is not even in Avery's league as far as I'm concerned. They have to take Avery. Four-star talent at a big position of need for this defense moving forward, and he would be the 3rd Bishop Dunne player headed to Lincoln. He could help peer recruit Brian Williams and Marquez Beason for the next year.

I was thinking about this earlier too. I wonder if Mapieu has the athleticism and ability to slim play DE or OL...Avery is just too natural of a fit at NG and too talented to turn away, which I definitely don't thing will happen.

Also, with the immense amount of importance on OL and DL in the B10, there's no way you say no to Avery.

Last edited:
I was thinking about this earlier too. I wonder if Mapieu has the athleticism and ability to slim play DE or OL...Avery is just too natural of a fit at NG and too talented to turn away, which I definitely don't thing will happen.

Also, with the immense amount of importance on OL and DL in the B10, there's no way you say no to Avery.

This is exactly how I would approach it. Like you said Avery is way too great of a fit at a big position of need in the 3-4 to turn away. The fact that insiders from 247/Rivals are even mentioning passing on this kid seems ludicrous to me. Worst case scenario, you still take him and figure out your numbers from there.

Last edited:

Only way I'd want Avery to be a numbers casualty is if a higher NG on our board is N and I don't think Mapieu is it. I still think we see a bit higher than usual attrition over the next year, so I see no reason to let this guy walk.

We can both take flak...Mapieu is not even in Avery's league as far as I'm concerned. They have to take Avery. Four-star talent at a big position of need for this defense moving forward, and he would be the 3rd Bishop Dunne player headed to Lincoln. He could help peer recruit Brian Williams and Marquez Beason for the next year.
I am sure Avery would be a great addition. However looking at the track record of D-linemen who were scholarship players from Texas and other parts of the country and contributed little over the past few years I don't dismiss Nebraska talent. Over the past few years these scholarship players( Todd Peat, Avery Moss,Aaron Curry, Walker Ashburn,Jay Guy,Dimara Mixon, DeAndre Wills, Joe Keels, Thad Randall & others) either got into trouble, transferred, were dismissed or just failed to produce. Very seldom does Nebraska offer a defensive lineman so when they do I'd like to believe he's going to contribute. Right now Stanford has a Nebraska defensive lineman that the Huskers offered late and lost him.
Not exactly sure what Nebraska kids have to do to get national recognition in high school but in my opinion their track record speaks for itself.
Hope the Huskers get Avery and he plays alongside the kid from Nebraska.

At the very least, I think they should drop the Mapieu kid and go with the LSE kid instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back