• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

HNC's quick thoughts - Wisconsin

I think at least half of our holding calls are due to Martinez being inexperienced and holding the ball too long. Once Martinez starts to make quicker decisions, we'll see the amount of holding calls go down.

If you watch many of the plays.....its not a speed decision. Its the lack of open receivers. Yes there are those occasions when a QB doesn't see the open receiver but you have to realize he has 10 people in front of him that the top of their helmets are 10 to 12 inches above his eye sight. Wisconsin was doing a pretty good job on man on man coverage.

5. Mo Washington is a talent. I said it after the CU game. He's our most talented RB since Ahman Green.

He's a stud and future NFL player, but I'm thinking he may be more of a WR than RB. What is he...6'1" 195LB? I realize he's a true freshman but he has a body of a WR. He's going to need to put on some serious weight, especially lower body muscle, to be a top RB with NFL hopes. If he can do that awesome, if not maybe WR is better... That is if Bradly is the real deal and we have 1-2 more studs for the next years.

Last edited:

He's a stud and future NFL player, but I'm thinking he may be more of a WR than RB. What is he...6'1" 195LB? I realize he's a true freshman but he has a body of a WR. He's going to need to put on some serious weight, especially lower body muscle, to be a top RB with NFL hopes. If he can do that awesome, if not maybe WR is better... That is if Bradly is the real deal and we have 1-2 more studs for the next years.
He literally lost 20-30 lbs over the summer by working hard to get eligible and probably just not having good direction and structure. In 2 years he’ll be 40 lbs heavier (good weight), up to 220 and will be a big difference maker. But he’s a great athlete who can play a variety of positions (many schools recruited him for CB).

Washington needs to learn how to carry the ball in his right hand/arm.

When he crawled off the field in the second half - after throwing a block - he kept showing signs of something wrong in his right shoulder. It is concerning to see the ball in the wrong hand, but there might be an issue that's not public. I do believe he got the wind knocked out of him on that play and his crawling had nothing to do with his shoulder. But the body language sure suggests a stinger issue, too.

When he crawled off the field in the second half - after throwing a block - he kept showing signs of something wrong in his right shoulder. It is concerning to see the ball in the wrong hand, but there might be an issue that's not public. I do believe he got the wind knocked out of him on that play and his crawling had nothing to do with his shoulder. But the body language sure suggests a stinger issue, too.
He waived the ball around carelessly against colorado too. I'm not bagging on him though...he will be a fun one to watch. But that one issue will be getting the attention of opposing DCs for the time being.

He waived the ball around carelessly against colorado too. I'm not bagging on him though...he will be a fun one to watch. But that one issue will be getting the attention of opposing DCs for the time being.
I’m not a big fan of his spin move, but holy shiit, he looks to be the real deal

Coming in late, as he did...amazing talent. Give this kid a year to get his body right and he’ll be more durable. He’ll be better at picking his spots to shine too.

Kinda thought the body language made it look like he got hit in the family jewels.

Kinda thought the body language made it look like he got hit in the family jewels.
byuballs.0.gif

GFOA this was not your argument, but you jumped in and changed it to what you wanted to discuss. You were wrong and Hville was right and Yueling got stepped on.

Hville made an accurate assessment that you cannot give your defense more time to rest if you run the ball unsuccessfully three plays and then punt. That is all he said, and he was right.

GFOA says a whole bunch of stuff about game management and how to close out the half. Much room for debate about whether he was right or not, the main point is that he stole the conversation and made it a different fight. Shame. I usually try and defend GFOA, but not this time.

Yueling it is only true that running the ball gives your defense more rest if the running causes first downs and keeps drives alive longer. I suppose it may also be true that just letting the clock tick down a little longer before each play would give the defense a little more rest, but extending drives with first downs is the best method for resting the defense. I dont think Frost makes it a priority to get the defense rest. I wonder if there ever is an exception to that rule?
It is pretty much what I said, though I added the element of clock management in my later post which I had thought was understood in any argument about running more clock. Regardless, if your running plays are successful, which is a caveat that I clearly pointed out in my second sentence in the reply (see below) to him, running the ball will generally eat far more game clock than passing the ball does...it is just a fact, that contradicts what he said. That's why nearly every team runs the ball to eat clock rather than passing, which also gives the benefit of giving your defense a rest, something he/you are also wrong about. You see, pass plays generally are longer yardage plays and often stop the clock. If your pass attack is successful, you generally will run out of yardage, generate fewer FD's, won't eat much clock...though you might score. Generally you'll move down field faster with passing than running, though the reverse can be true if you are busting long runs. SF needs to know when to throttle back tempo and eat some clock when necessary, and a successful rushing attack is the best way to do it. You can have the last word, because you will never convince me that passing eats as much clock as rushing if both are successful.

You are not getting it. If your run game is reasonably successful, you will lengthen the time consumed by your own drives, keep the opposing defense on the field (tiring them), and "shorten" the game.

Example: 1st half, 2nd quarter, Wisconsin kicks FG to go up 13-3, Nebraska gets ball with 6:51 on the clock.

Nebraska goes on a long drive (13 or 14 plays) from it's 25 to the Wiskey 37 where it stopped on 4th and 11. There was only one running play aside from Martinez scrambles/sacks. We give the ball back to Wisconsin with 2:13 left and they score a TD with 48 seconds left to go into halftime up 20-3. Had we sprinkled in some runs, it is likely that when Wisky gets the ball back (if they do), they wouldn't have had time to score that last TD and we are in a much better position to win at halftime. Then, when we start the second half with a score, which we did, it is 13-10 and maybe we have a chance. Our whirlwind up-tempo attack, absent any run game at all, has its place, but in some circumstances we need to run the ball and run clock some just to keep us in the game.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back