• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

HNC's quick thoughts - Wisconsin

As well as Martinez played yesterday he could’ve had 3 to 4 interceptions if Wisconsin’s defensive backs could simply hold onto the ball. Just trying to be realistic and I like the future for our quarterback. :thumbsup:

Martinez is a gamer!!

Last edited:
Ozigbo was the hot hand but lets be honest, Washington is our best RB and its not even close. Once he has all of his assignments down, everyone else is playing for #2.

This team is undisciplined and that fallls squarely on this coaching staff. No question.

It made no sense. Neither did not punting 4th and 11 with a tired defense. I don't care if a DL punted, its the right play.

Without a doubt. He needs to learn to know when to fold on a play but that will come. Best talent we have had in a long time at QB.

No question.

Hopefully a top level TE will add to that mix. Juergens maybe if he plays offense.

It all comes down to the guys up front and we are losing this battle on both sides of the line.

And its much worse than last year.

Agree. I'd rather have a young guy in there making mistakes and learning than a veteran making mistakes and not seeming to learn.

I was disappointed in Honas to be honest. He seems undersized and yet not that fast. He has missed tackles and he has taken himself out of plays. That said, he is better than Young.

I will say this about Honas. He'll make a really bad mistake, and then he corrects it. Against, he made a dumb mistake by hitting the wrong gap. And then a new drive, and he stuffed the whole perfectly

Our 3-4 ran a lot of four down linemen looks, running eagle tackles to the tight end side. They ran heavy sets with two tight ends, one hidden flexed out about 3 yards from the OT. This gave us fits stopping the run. It doesn't help having the offside nose tackle getting handled one on one and being sealed off because he's inexperienced.

Last edited:

You are not getting it. If your run game is reasonably successful, you will lengthen the time consumed by your own drives, keep the opposing defense on the field (tiring them), and "shorten" the game.

Example: 1st half, 2nd quarter, Wisconsin kicks FG to go up 13-3, Nebraska gets ball with 6:51 on the clock.

Nebraska goes on a long drive (13 or 14 plays) from it's 25 to the Wiskey 37 where it stopped on 4th and 11. There was only one running play aside from Martinez scrambles/sacks. We give the ball back to Wisconsin with 2:13 left and they score a TD with 48 seconds left to go into halftime up 20-3. Had we sprinkled in some runs, it is likely that when Wisky gets the ball back (if they do), they wouldn't have had time to score that last TD and we are in a much better position to win at halftime. Then, when we start the second half with a score, which we did, it is 13-10 and maybe we have a chance. Our whirlwind up-tempo attack, absent any run game at all, has its place, but in some circumstances we need to run the ball and run clock some just to keep us in the game.
So one of our longest drives in the first half you are using as an example of where we should have called plays differently to slow down the clock? Please tell me again who isn't getting it.

You are not getting it. If your run game is reasonably successful, you will lengthen the time consumed by your own drives, keep the opposing defense on the field (tiring them), and "shorten" the game.

Example: 1st half, 2nd quarter, Wisconsin kicks FG to go up 13-3, Nebraska gets ball with 6:51 on the clock.

Nebraska goes on a long drive (13 or 14 plays) from it's 25 to the Wiskey 37 where it stopped on 4th and 11. There was only one running play aside from Martinez scrambles/sacks. We give the ball back to Wisconsin with 2:13 left and they score a TD with 48 seconds left to go into halftime up 20-3. Had we sprinkled in some runs, it is likely that when Wisky gets the ball back (if they do), they wouldn't have had time to score that last TD and we are in a much better position to win at halftime. Then, when we start the second half with a score, which we did, it is 13-10 and maybe we have a chance. Our whirlwind up-tempo attack, absent any run game at all, has its place, but in some circumstances we need to run the ball and run clock some just to keep us in the game.

GFOA, maybe not the best example to make your case. Martinez only threw 1 incompletion that stopped the clock that entire series. The other stoppages were when Morgan stepped out of bounds after the hurdle on the 1st play of that drive (12 yard gain), 2 penalties and the Wisconsin TO with 2:16 left just prior to our 4th and 14. Also, 2 of the 1st 4 plays of that drive were draws by AM (not scrambles, either designed or at least RPO off the bubble screen) so not sure how, other than the incompletion on the 3rd play of the drive, that sprinkling in more runs would have lengthened that drive. The issue there was more the penalties as there were two different times that Martinez to Spielman 19 yard hookups were called back, the first of which had us down at the 11 or 12.

GFOA, maybe not the best example to make your case. Martinez only threw 1 incompletion that stopped the clock that entire series. The other stoppages were when Morgan stepped out of bounds after the hurdle on the 1st play of that drive (12 yard gain), 2 penalties and the Wisconsin TO with 2:16 left just prior to our 4th and 14. Also, 2 of the 1st 4 plays of that drive were draws by AM (not scrambles, either designed or at least RPO off the bubble screen) so not sure how, other than the incompletion on the 3rd play of the drive, that sprinkling in more runs would have lengthened that drive. The issue there was more the penalties as there were two different times that Martinez to Spielman 19 yard hookups were called back, the first of which had us down at the 11 or 12.

6:51 game clock - 1-10 from NU25 - 12 yard pass complete OOB - clock stopped for next play

6:36 game clock 1-10 from NU37 - 11 yard AM draw - FD and clock stops to reset chain...ball snapped with 21 seconds on play clock

6:17 game clock 1-10 from NU48 - pass incomplete...ball snapped with 21 seconds on play clock

6:07 game clock 2-10 from NU48 - 6 yard AM draw...ball snapped with 14 seconds on play clock.

5:46 game clock 3-4 from WU46 - 10 yard compl to JS 1st down OOB clock stops

5:07 game clock 1-10 from WU36 - 5 yard Ozigbo

4:25 game clock 2-5 from WU31 - 3 yards completion-10 yard penalty - ball snapped with 16 seconds left on play clock

4:04 game clock 2-12 from WU38 - Penalty WISC 5 yard.

3:53 game clock - 2-7 from WU33 - AM sacked -5 yds.

3:07 game clock - 3-12 from WU38 - Spielman 20 yards - 15 yard penalty no play...ball snapped 11 seconds left on play clock.

2:45 game clock - 3-27 from NU 47 - Morgan 16 yards ...ball snapped with 8 seconds left on game clock.

2:18 game clock - 4-11 from WU37 - pass incomplete clock stops

2:13 game clock - ball to WISCONSIN

Wisconsin scores TD on play that started at :48 on game clock. We could have easily chewed up more than 48 seconds by mixing in a few run plays rather than rushing up in tempo on nearly every play. I think you get fewer penalties if you don't rush it also. It was poor clock management, again. Oh well, 20/20 hindsight, there is no way to know for sure. but I think we blew it and said so at the time.

Last edited:

After rewatching for line play, it's definitely Karlos Davis getting pushed around on double teams that really hurt us consistently. Khalil got blown off the ball a few times, too, but Karlos tries to move horizontally as he's double team. This causes him to bulldoze his own players repeatedly. He really pancakes Barry late in the game when Johnathan Taylor rips off the 88-yarder. In contrast Khalil stays his ground somewhat and causes congestion. Not Karlos, man, he bulldozes his teammates. Not once or twice, nearly every time.

It's a shame, too, because they couldn't handle Karlos on-on-one. They had to double him out of need. Karlos forced them to double.

6:51 game clock - 1-10 from NU25 - 12 yard pass complete OOB - clock stopped for next play

6:36 game clock 1-10 from NU37 - 11 yard AM draw - FD and clock stops to reset chain...ball snapped with 21 seconds on play clock

6:17 game clock 1-10 from NU48 - pass incomplete...ball snapped with 21 seconds on play clock

6:07 game clock 2-10 from NU48 - 6 yard AM draw...ball snapped with 14 seconds on play clock.

4:25 game clock 2-5 from WU31 - 3 yards completion-10 yard penalty - ball snapped with 16 seconds left on play clock

3:07 game clock - 3-12 from WU38 - Spielman 20 yards - 15 yard penalty no play...ball snapped 11 seconds left on play clock.

2:45 game clock - 3-27 from NU 47 - Morgan 16 yards ...ball snapped with 8 seconds left on game clock.

Wisconsin scores TD on play that started at :48 on game clock. We could have easily chewed up more than 48 seconds by mixing in a few run plays rather than rushing up in tempo on nearly every play. I think you get fewer penalties if you don't rush it also. It was poor clock management, again. Oh well, 20/20 hindsight, there is no way to know for sure. but I think we blew it and said so at the time.

Just proves you aren't getting it. Scotts offense is designed to be fast. He doesn't want to snap the ball with zero seconds left. Especially in the first quarter down by two TD's. The offense was working then and only stupid penalties and mistakes stopping most of it. You are supporting a theory that if he had ran the ball more we could have rested the defense. Just kindly accept you are wrong.

GFOA this was not your argument, but you jumped in and changed it to what you wanted to discuss. You were wrong and Hville was right and Yueling got stepped on.

Hville made an accurate assessment that you cannot give your defense more time to rest if you run the ball unsuccessfully three plays and then punt. That is all he said, and he was right.

GFOA says a whole bunch of stuff about game management and how to close out the half. Much room for debate about whether he was right or not, the main point is that he stole the conversation and made it a different fight. Shame. I usually try and defend GFOA, but not this time.

Yueling it is only true that running the ball gives your defense more rest if the running causes first downs and keeps drives alive longer. I suppose it may also be true that just letting the clock tick down a little longer before each play would give the defense a little more rest, but extending drives with first downs is the best method for resting the defense. I dont think Frost makes it a priority to get the defense rest. I wonder if there ever is an exception to that rule?

It seems you're just in all out defense mode of every critique offered of the staff. We're 0-5. Mistakes have been made. That was one.

Could you imagine the reaction around here if FOCDL or FOCTB came out with those game plans after what Ziggy did the week before? Sheeeeeeeesh

I get that Frost wants to run the quick paced offense, etc....But when everyone knows our defense is awful, why not try and help them out a bit?

Not happy with the penalties again, but they were more "stomachable" this time around. 2-4 ticky-tack calls that shouldn't have been made. Most of the holding was due to our guy simply getting beat by a better player and trying to do what they could. Those last kind aren't good but they are understandable. They are made by guys who are giving one last effort to keep their QB safe. They kill us, but they aren't dumb mistakes, as such.
I think at least half of our holding calls are due to Martinez being inexperienced and holding the ball too long. Once Martinez starts to make quicker decisions, we'll see the amount of holding calls go down.

1. Ozigbo not being used was a joke. One carry in the first half? How do you go from 170 yards rushing last week to one rush in the first 30 minutes?

2. Penalties are out of control. There were some bad calls, but the main issue is Nebraska being undisciplined.

3. Not going for 2 after the last TD was puzzling, at best.

4. Adrian Martinez is going to be GREAT. He has a ways to go, but I'm very excited about his future.

8. Worst special teams in FBS. The punting is just laughably bad. And no other special teams unit is much better.

I still believe in Frost.

Dead on my thoughts for these...

I will be the first to say... I thought Caleb would have a big year but he is just not getting it done mentally, maybe that is a product of overthinking the directional requirements but the guy hits moonshots in warm-ups... time to sit down . Glad Armstrong came in and hit the ball well.

I was infuriated that they did not run Ziggy as well but I can only assume they thought he would not have much room to operate. It was head scratching.

Could you imagine the reaction around here if FOCDL or FOCTB came out with those game plans after what Ziggy did the week before? Sheeeeeeeesh

I get that Frost wants to run the quick paced offense, etc....But when everyone knows our defense is awful, why not try and help them out a bit?
It seems Scott is going to run the O the same way no matter what the D is doing. He even said as much a week or 2 ago when he said the DC runs the defense . It's interesting and I don't know quite what to think about it.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back