• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Hiking 2.0

Does somebody pick you up at the end of your hike?
Or hike back to your starting point

Does somebody pick you up at the end of your hike?
Or hike back to your starting point
Usually no, as I either hike a loop, or a lot of out and back hikes. We went off trail today, and bushwhacked for about 2 to 3 miles in thick underbrush, and we had an idea where we thought we could pick up the trail, and after about 8 or 9 miles, we found the trail(essentially we ended up on the original trail after a ton of rock climbing) and it led us back to the parking area.

Cool thread. I wish I had better hiking trails near where I live. I usually only get to hike when I am on vacation. It depends on where we go.

I keep busy by running on some pretty boring "trails" near my home. I'm currently training for a 12-hour endurance race in mid-July. I'm currently running about 60 miles a week and will ramp that up to about 75 before beginning my taper in mid-June. My goal is to run over 50 miles in the race, which would probably put in in podium contention for all ages (I'm in the "master" age group). If somehow I can reach 60 miles, I might win the own dang thing.

Cool thread. I wish I had better hiking trails near where I live. I usually only get to hike when I am on vacation. It depends on where we go.
There are some great trails around me from just outside my door, to several hours by car away. Some are around 6,000 to around 14,000+. I have gotten several hikes in this week as the weather has been very cooperative lately, including a short 5 mile yesterday, and a nice work out 7.7 mile hike today.

I'm counting my "steps" lol

Last edited:
Just did Telegraph Pass in 24 minutes (one way). Not a long hike, about 2 miles one way, but still, a good little uphill battle in the AZ dust. And I got out before the sun came up so that was even better.

Last edited:
Just did Telegraph Pass in 24 minutes (one way). Not a long hike, about 2 miles one way, but still, a good little uphill battle in the AZ dust. And I got out before the sun came up so that was even better.
Hopefully, you were running. That sounds fast as hell.

I got in 11 miles Thurs. and 4 Friday. I hiked the 11 and jogged the 4, and my right knee held up well, no real pain to speak of. 15 gets me up to abut 185/6. I can't see me making a 1,000 on the trails this year, but if the weather holds out, who knows.

Haven't had a chance to vette this yet... but thought I'd put in out there... Hopefully hasn't been put on thread yet.

http://www.wisebread.com/10-most-breathtaking-day-hikes-in-the-us

This is an excellent article with some great hikes. Ones that I've had some experience on:

For the Yosemite Hike, would recommend hiking up the Mist Trail and back down the John Muir Trail. Or, better yet, carry a tent and spend the night overlooking Little Yosemite Valley. I did it that way the first time. The second time, my wife started along Tioga Road and went over the top of Clouds Rest to get to the same overlook. Came down John Muir. Both times, I couldn't muster the courage to do the cables on the back side of Half Dome.

Bright Angel. Do NOT try to go all the way to the river and back as a day hike. We reserved a campsite at the bottom and then spent two nights down there. Or try to get into Phantom Ranch, reservations are by lottery a year in advance. Even as campers, you can join the Phantom Ranch people for meals. There is also a campground halfway to the river (4.5 miles from the top), people who had camped near us reserved a night there do they didn't have to make the 9 mile hike out all in one day (4500' elevation gain from river to rim). I am in only average shape and we made it out in about 7.5-8 hours.

Glacier Highline Trail. Had total strangers come up to us in the Many Glacier campground looking for a shared car shuttle. They seemed safe enough, so we went with them up to Logan Pass, hiked the Highline, over Swiftcurrent Pass, and back down to the campground. Was something like 12-15 miles of hiking. This is one of my top 5 favorite hikes, maybe #1 in the United States (Canadian Rockies has several of my top 5).

Arches. Was there in late June...hot, hot, and more hot. We didn't do much hiking. Have taken 3 trips to Canyonlands south of Moab at other times of the year and loved it there. One trip was a 3 mile backpack the first day, set up camp in Chesler Park and did day hikes from there for a couple of full days before hiking back out. On a separate trip, we did a 3 day rafting trip and camped along the shore. Day 2 was filled with 20+ Class III-V rapids.

Denali. "Make sure you stay alert for wildlife as there have been bear encounters in the park". Understatement...we did ranger-led hikes to take advantage of a larger group, and still had to circle around a momma and two cubs.

Acadia. We cobbled together several trails and summited six different peaks. Would recommend staying on the the quieter back side away from Bar Harbor. Renting bikes and doing a circle of the carriage roads is another outstanding way to get away from the crowds.

Zion. Did Zion more as a drive through and then paid an outfitter to take our family canyoneering outside the park. The kids were only 9 or 10 and we didn't feel comfortable trying it on our own.

Trying to put together a summer trip right now. Looking like top 2 choices are Colorado, not too far west of Denver so we can drive it in day from Eastern Iowa. Or, New England...we have Massachusetts and Rhode Island to check off...thinking a day in each of those and then head up to the White Mountains in New Hampshire. They have huts along the Appalachian Trail spaced about 5 or 6 miles apart. Meals and a bunk provided. Basically, you can string several days of day hikes together and never have to sleep outside or cook your own meals. The only downside is that the huts hold up to 90 people and it is bunkrooms, so bring your earplugs.

Got the new trail shoes Thursday and have managed to put just less than 15 miles on them already, including a difficult 5 mile jogging, huffing and puffing session just a little while ago. They fill broken in already and weigh slightly over 9 ounces. I wont get a shot at my loop until at least Tuesday, but a buddy wants to go deep into Desolation in hunt of some waterfalls, so I should still get some miles in. 145.

which trail shoes did you end up buying?

which trail shoes did you end up buying?
Man, I tried on some 10 or 12 different pair and the last pair I tried on is the pair I bought. I ended up buying a pair of Adidas Rockadia Trail running shoes. I "researched" them after I bought them, and they have received some really good reviews. One of the most important things, they fit my feet perfectly and feel really good when I am running down hill on rocky trails. They have amazing grip too. I'm pretty happy with them, especially for $50 bucks, I feel like I got a really good deal on these shoes.

There is a "hill" roughly 2 miles from my front door, and I've been using it as a training hill to help me get my 9 mile loop in under two hours. Have it down to 2 hours and 15 minutes, but have yet to get back to it, since I've bought the Adidas, but I believe that I will get it in under 2 by the end of September, if not sooner.
adida799698_428371_jb.jpg

Last edited:
Man, I tried on some 10 or 12 different pair and the last pair I tried on is the pair I bought. I ended up buying a pair of Adidas Rockadia Trail running shoes. I "researched" them after I bought them, and they have received some really good reviews. One of the most important things, they fit my feet perfectly and feel really good when I am running down hill on rocky trails. They have amazing grip too. I'm pretty happy with them, especially for $50 bucks, I feel like I got a really good deal on these shoes.

There is a "hill" roughly 2 miles from my front door, and I've been using it as a training hill to help me get my 9 mile loop in under two hours. Have it down to 2 hours and 15 minutes, but have yet to get back to it, since I've bought the Adidas, but I believe that I will get it in under 2 by the end of September, if not sooner.
adida799698_428371_jb.jpg
nice shoes. i've never heard of those before, but i'm sure you have a lot more options down there. looks like they have a pretty aggressive tread on them which i personally like.
i'm trying to decided on my next pair. narrowed it down to salomon speedcross or saucony peregrine. i have a 50 mile race in august so i may end up getting a couple pairs for the training up to it.

narrowed it down to salomon speedcross or saucony peregrine
Both of those are awesome. I'd go with the Salomon's, but to be honest, I haven't tried a pair of Saucony's, so I am going with what I know. Salomon's seem to last for a real long time. And yes, my Adidas do have an aggressive soul and really grip the granite I encounter on my runs, I will definitely consider them again when the time comes.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back