• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Heisman snubs

All those post season trophies have an air of political arrogance about them and the Heisman is the worst. However, I can't wait to see some Huskers back in the mix for any and all of them.

All those post season trophies have an air of political arrogance about them and the Heisman is the worst. However, I can't wait to see some Huskers back in the mix for any and all of them.

We’re coming up on a decade since Suh won the last one. I don’t ever recall a stretch like that in my 40+ years as a Husker fan.

Statistically Gerry Gdowski's senior year at DONU was just as impressive as Tommy Frazier's senior year... you know, TF's 1995 "Heisman snub" year.

Let's compare TF in 95 and GG in 1989

Completion % - TF 56.4 - GG 52.2....TF wins

Average Yards per passing attempt - TF 8.4 - GG 9.8....GG wins

Passing TDs - TF 17 - GG 19....GG wins

Interceptions - TF 4 - GG 2....GG wins

Passer Rating - TF 156.1 - GG 177.3...GG wins

Total rushing yards - TF 604 - GG 925....GG wins

Average rushing yards per attempt - TF 6.2 - GG 7.9....GG wins

GG beats TF in 6 of 7 statistical categories. Doesn't that make GG the true GOAT? Shouldn't Gdowski be on this Heisman snub list as well?

I am not trying to diminish TF's 1995 season. I am trying to put it in perspective. When the author said that the 1995 NU season could not have happened without TF, I took exception to it. I think it could have happened with a significant number of other QBs running the show. That 1995 team probably would have the NC with Fred Duda or Mickey Joseph at the controls.

All of Tommie's stats should basically be doubled because he barely played in the second half of every game. Stats can be misleading. Watch Tommie Frazier in any of the three national championship games he played in and you know he's the GOAT.

college-football-fiesta-bowl-florida-qb-danny-wuerffel-in-action-picture-id472261010

Pretty sure this is my favorite play of the game. I knew after this, it was ballgame
GBR

Last edited:

TF was a great QB for DONU. But Nebraska could not compete with the Florida schools until TO took Bobby Bowden's advice and started putting more speed on defense. TF was the beneficiary.

Florida State only scored 16 on us in the 1994 Orange Bowl...and they had Heisman winner Charlie Ward at the helm. Our defense held Miami to 17 the next year and stopped Florida's fun and gun offense the year after that. Our TF-led offense only scored 15 points in the 1993 NC game and only 24 in the 1994 NC game. When we won the NC in 1994 wasn't it our FB, not TF, who scored 2 TDs? It was our defense as much as our offense that enabled us to compete for NCs those 2 years.

But Gerry Gdowski was not as fortunate. Florida State scored 41 on Nebraska to conclude the 1989 season. There is nothing Gdowski could do about that.

Statistically Gerry Gdowski's senior year at DONU was just as impressive as Tommy Frazier's senior year... you know, TF's 1995 "Heisman snub" year.

Let's compare TF in 95 and GG in 1989

Completion % - TF 56.4 - GG 52.2....TF wins

Average Yards per passing attempt - TF 8.4 - GG 9.8....GG wins

Passing TDs - TF 17 - GG 19....GG wins

Interceptions - TF 4 - GG 2....GG wins

Passer Rating - TF 156.1 - GG 177.3...GG wins

Total rushing yards - TF 604 - GG 925....GG wins

Average rushing yards per attempt - TF 6.2 - GG 7.9....GG wins

GG beats TF in 6 of 7 statistical categories. Doesn't that make GG the true GOAT? Shouldn't Gdowski be on this Heisman snub list as well?

I am not trying to diminish TF's 1995 season. I am trying to put it in perspective. When the author said that the 1995 NU season could not have happened without TF, I took exception to it. I think it could have happened with a significant number of other QBs running the show. That 1995 team probably would have the NC with Fred Duda or Mickey Joseph at the controls.

C'mon, it is what it is. TF led them to 2 nattys and only JT did that at NU before. Give the man his due!

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back