• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Having an off night is one thing...

While I don’t think we have many “great” shooters, I think the biggest issue is poor shot selection. Thomas Allen is a good shooter when he gets open kick outs. With the lack of movement and screens NU does it seems many of our 3s are the dribble step back/contested ones which are very low percentage.
Then, we have Watson always taking, I think one of the hardest shots in basketball, when he drives down the court full speed and stops 2 foot inside the 3 pt line with all of his momentum going to the basket.

But the reality is we have a couple of guys, expected to be our offensive leaders, who simply can’t shoot. When I think of our top guys back in the stone age when we used peach baskets, guards should shoot at least in the 40s, and inside guys high 40s to 50s. Our top dogs, the ones Miles was really excited about, are scorching the last 7 games. They both got relatively hot one game, and combined for 15/26 from the field. Well done! However, in the other 5 games, one shot 23/86, 26%, and the other 9/47, 19%.
Conclusion: these are not competent offensive players to hitch your team to! You can expect them to have solid scoring nights, but their limited ability to actually shoot will always put you at a disadvantage when teams dare them to shoot.

It’s a recipe for disaster.
Palmer has been over rated his entire time. The NBA is a pipe dream for that guy. He'll be playing in Ecuador.

As if Thomas Allen isnt a sharp shooter? Lord
Thomas Allen is shooting 37.5% for the year, about 1% better than Watson on half the shots. If you are saying that Thomas Allen should be taking most of the 3's, I'm fine with that statement. If you think that Allen used to be a better shooter before, that's not clear. If you think that people aren't familiar with the team and missing a standout shooter having a great season, the numbers don't show that.

I think Allen might be the best basketball player on the team after Copeland went down - so we probably don't disagree, just curious what you were saying.

Yes T Allen is a great Shooter. He was recruited by KANSAS in large part because he was deadly at the 3s. last year he would come off the bench and hit 3s very effectively was noted as a great shooter. He shot well early in the season and then has fallen off with the rest of the team. Thomas Allen is a shooter. Thomas Allen has not shot the ball well as of late. He still is a 3 point stud with great touch. Hes just not playing his best ball right now. The teams slump has rubbed off on him. He will be back IMO

Thomas Allen is shooting 37.5% for the year, about 1% better than Watson on half the shots. If you are saying that Thomas Allen should be taking most of the 3's, I'm fine with that statement. If you think that Allen used to be a better shooter before, that's not clear. If you think that people aren't familiar with the team and missing a standout shooter having a great season, the numbers don't show that.

I think Allen might be the best basketball player on the team after Copeland went down - so we probably don't disagree, just curious what you were saying.
I may have misunderstood Bahe, right now there is no good shooting going on with this team. But I took it that he meant we had noone on the team capable of being a great shooter. TA was recruited and has shown from last year and early this year that he is a great shooter. hes just not done that in the ending weeks of the season, as this whole team has imploded

I may have misunderstood Bahe, right now there is no good shooting going on with this team. But I took it that he meant we had noone on the team capable of being a great shooter. TA was recruited and has shown from last year and early this year that he is a great shooter. hes just not done that in the ending weeks of the season, as this whole team has imploded
Thanks for the explanation, and I agree that he has the potential. He shot 35% from 3 as a freshman, and I think he was shooting above 40% for part of this season.

I don’t watch NU b-ball anymore, so I can’t speak to the current situation. I only wandered over here to see if there was a thread on Boeheim’s accident. But, if Miles is still running that craptacular offense from his first year here, it is no wonder they can’t shoot well. When a play is run where someone is expecting the ball to come his way for a shot, the chance of hitting that shot are higher than if you are surprised that the ball is in your hands. I recall, when I did watch Mile’s offense, seeing the guy with the ball try to create something and then when nothing materialized he would throw it to the nearest open guy who looked like “uh what, my turn?”

Yes T Allen is a great Shooter. He was recruited by KANSAS in large part because he was deadly at the 3s. last year he would come off the bench and hit 3s very effectively was noted as a great shooter. He shot well early in the season and then has fallen off with the rest of the team. Thomas Allen is a shooter. Thomas Allen has not shot the ball well as of late. He still is a 3 point stud with great touch. Hes just not playing his best ball right now. The teams slump has rubbed off on him. He will be back IMO

Great shooters are consistently great. There are some streaky shooters who have times they are great, but if they are feast or famine, they aren't great. Allen isn't getting the ball in as good a position as he did last year. Whether that's because he doesn't have guys like Evans or Copeland kicking it to him in the right place at the right time, I'm not sure, but he's not getting as many quality looks. When he is getting the ball, he's rushing, or pressing the shot, which is never a good thing. I'll agree with you that he has a really nice shooting motion, but his lack of consistently hitting, even when he does get open looks nullifies your suggesting he a great shooter.

Someone had previously mentioned his staying after practice and even games to work on his shooting, but my question would be, who has taken a really good look at his mechanics? Most of the guys I knew who got in a slump, figured out they had a little glitch in their mechanics. It can be as simple as an elbow an inch or two to the right, or a slight wrist rotation on a follow throw. It's why having video is so important, so you can breakdown any changes in a person's mechanics. It's been pointed out by half a dozen people now that Palmer tends to shoot on the way down, which is a total bricklayer form. The occasional odd leg kick, the sliding fade, guys with limited shooting ability don't need to create greater challenges by doing things that mess with their mechanics. Obviously there are always situations when you can't get perfectly squared up, but if you think your a better shooter sliding to the side all the time, lets test that theory and have you shoot at a moving basket the entire game, because that's what that amounts to. Creative shots should be the exception, not your game, at least they should be if you are hoping to be a great shooter.

I don’t watch NU b-ball anymore, so I can’t speak to the current situation. I only wandered over here to see if there was a thread on Boeheim’s accident. But, if Miles is still running that craptacular offense from his first year here, it is no wonder they can’t shoot well. When a play is run where someone is expecting the ball to come his way for a shot, the chance of hitting that shot are higher than if you are surprised that the ball is in your hands. I recall, when I did watch Mile’s offense, seeing the guy with the ball try to create something and then when nothing materialized he would throw it to the nearest open guy who looked like “uh what, my turn?”

Well summarized.

I disagree.
They can shoot. The Top Dogs are both in a slump, which happens, and are also completely out of confidence.
Id be willing to bet if Palmer, Watson, Copeland, Allen and Roby were the starting five of a team led by a coach who could coach them well both offensively, as well as install confidence in them and the team, we would see good shooting percentages

I've seen guys who were serious shooters have slumps. You know what they did? Took easier shots until they got their rhythm back. These guys seem to think if they hit that miracle acrobatic prayer, the light will suddenly come back on. How about taking a mid range jumper off a good screen? How about an easy layup on a hard backcut? How about an open baseline jumper coming off a double pick? No dribbling, no pump fake, no rocker step, just catch and shoot. You are correct that these guys could do better with the right coach, but they wouldn't be playing in the manner they are if they had that type of coach. Far too much sloppy, shockingly stupid basketball. They all need to jump that Basketball IQ a good 20 points, and understand the game isn't one guy 'doing his thing'.

FG%
Harris: .688
Borchardt: .596
Copeland: .525
Roby: .451
Allen: .444
Watson: .403
Palmer: .369

FG%
Harris: .688
Borchardt: .596
Copeland: .525
Roby: .451
Allen: .444
Watson: .403
Palmer: .369

Proving again the dangers of the lack of offensive balance. I love teams that recognize feeding the ‘hot hand’, and not just feeding the guy who always shoots the most.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back