• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

H. Phillips confirms what most of us thought

Seriously? To what?
It sounded to me like education was a big reason he chose Stanford. Also, he was euphoric when Stanford offered. And once committed, he wasn't about to waver. He sounded a little upset that meany Pellini didn't offer sooner, but he also sounded like it wouldn't make a difference.

Huh? Which part says that?

If you want to parse words so be it however, this sums it up.

The Husker coaches — Bo Pelini's staff at the time — followed his every move, "even watched me drink water," Phillips said. He did reps at nearly every spot on the defensive and offensive lines, even some work at tight end. Phillips said he "outperformed the majority of the people there" — but an offer didn't come that day.

"I talked to coaches," Phillips said, "and they said, 'We don't have a position exactly for where we'd see you. We're just gonna kinda wait a little bit.'"

Other schools weren't waiting. Phillips continued to add offers. He took a trip to Stanford, excelled at that camp and had an offer by the time he got back to Omaha.

Nebraska did eventually extend Phillips an offer, but he didn't take it. He went to Stanford, became a second-team All-American and is now ready to embark on his NFL career after getting drafted by the Buffalo Bills in the third round.

Here is some more from another article:

He had been going to Nebraska since he was in eighth grade and had been to the Cornhuskers' camp just prior to his trip to Stanford and visited with then coach Bo Pelini.

He went back to 2013, the summer before his senior year of high school. Phillips had participated in a bunch of camps throughout the region and earned scholarship offers at every stop. He came to Nebraska confident he'd get one there, too.

The Husker coaches — Bo Pelini's staff at the time — followed his every move, "even watched me drink water," Phillips said. He did reps at nearly every spot on the defensive and offensive lines, even some work at tight end. Phillips said he "outperformed the majority of the people there" — but an offer didn't come that day.

Once word got out that Stanford had offered him, Pelini called Phillips with an offer. In Nebraska, kids bleed Cornhusker red. Some will walk on for a chance to play for the home state.

"Harrison said, 'I'm going to bleed red, but it's going to be another color red,'" Tammie recalled. "It's going to be Cardinal red."

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buff...g_lineman_born_to_play_for_buffalo_bills.html

Last edited:
Huh? Which part says that?

Here you go from yet another article:

“I love Omaha, it was great to me,” said Phillips, whose grandmother paid for his trip to a Stanford camp, otherwise he may have joined the Big Red in Nebraska instead of the Cardinal in Palo Alto. “I had a fantastic family background. They gave everything they could to me so I could live and get everything I needed, but I definitely saw struggle. In my community I saw other athletes that were probably just as good or had as much talent as I had, but didn’t make it out and didn’t get the scholarships due to disadvantages in their home life. And the way the system was set up was stacked against them, so I had a large passion for that.”

Last edited:
And if Phillips had come here and not been great, people would have complained about not getting someone like Maliek Collins or Vincent Valentine.
The Phillips situation was a huge miss, but even this staff will have them from time to time

And if Phillips had come here and not been great, people would have complained about not getting someone like Maliek Collins or Vincent Valentine.
The Phillips situation was a huge miss, but even this staff will have them from time to time

More than likely true but the opposite happened so it is what it is. Human Nature as we both know.

Almost any staff in the country will make a mistake like this once in a blue moon. Just look at Ameer Abdullah as but an example with Auburn

More than likely true but the opposite happened so it is what it is. Human Nature as we both know.

Almost any staff in the country will make a mistake like this once in a blue moon. Just look at Ameer Abdullah as but an example with Auburn

I'm sure at some point in the next 5-10 years, a Nebraska kid will end up somewhere else and be successful, and we'll be right back here complaining about it.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back