• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Greta Van Fleet?

NUinID

Junior Varsity
5 Year Member
So what does everyone say about these guys. Are they good? Are they a Led Zep rip off?

I kinda like them. How long has it been since you heard a decent power trio play rock and roll.

And, really, it can be hard to not sound like your influences, especially when you're just starting out. It's tough to break new ground in rock music, everything's been done. I played in original bands in college and still enjoy writing songs but, no matter how hard I try, every song I write seems to end up sounding like one of three bands: Neil Young, Black Sabbath, or Pavement.:(

Yes and yes. Total Led Zep ripoff but fun riffs, decent tunes, etc. They're young. I like Alex Lifeson's take on them. He basically says Rush started off as a total Zep ripoff and built off that to develop their own style.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/new...evelop_their_style_compares_them_to_rush.html

Fair enough, I think they are refreshing, in a throwback sort of way. It has been a while since I heard a new blues based rock and roll band. I mean they really fit into a power trio mold like you would have heard in the late 60's/ early 70's. I am not sure what the lead singer can do about his voice sounding so much like Plant and Lee. The guitarist style is definitely Jimmy Page. I like power trios because all three musicians have to be good to hold up their end of the stool.

Fair enough, I think they are refreshing, in a throwback sort of way. It has been a while since I heard a new blues based rock and roll band. I mean they really fit into a power trio mold like you would have heard in the late 60's/ early 70's. I am not sure what the lead singer can do about his voice sounding so much like Plant and Lee. The guitarist style is definitely Jimmy Page. I like power trios because all three musicians have to be good to hold up their end of the stool.
I like power trios too. And, if you're going to sound like another band, LZ isn't a bad one to sound like.

Heading home from a hike a year and a half or so ago, I was driving through a mountain pass, and my stereo was going in and out, and I heard this song, and I thought, "Is this a Zeppelin song that I've never heard?" And just as the song ended, the DJ actually said something to the tune of, "This is a new release off of the EP from Greta Van Fleet." As soon as I got home and turned on my PC, I looked these kids up, and I was impressed. I hope they go far and release several albums/discs.

As a side note, and I am sure I've mentioned this before, but the first two cassette tapes that I ever bought with birthday money no less, when I turned 12, were Led Zeppelin 4 and Led Zeppelin In Through The Outdoor. It's not so much a "rip off" of LZ as it is a homage to one of the greatest rock bands of all time.

They tore it up on SNL a few weeks back, lead singers got some power in his cords.

Yeah I watched that performance on YouTube yesterday that is what sparked my start of the thread. Lots of the comments thought it was a bad performance.

Have a few of there songs, I like them. From up the road in Frankenmuth! Noted for their chicken and such, now Rock and Roll. One song they sound a little like Head East. I am sure they will grow and develop their own sound even more.

I liked them from the get go.

I do think as they mature musically (and physically in the case of the lead singer) their sound will change. They're still pretty raw from a skills standpoint, but I like their sound.

I have a problem with their hubris. Seems like the lead singer is trying to mash up several styles in the name of art, and I don't care for it. Total LZ rip-offs.

But that's just me.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back