• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Greg Austins Mom

In 2003, the first game was a class reunion of former huskers. The former players had seats in the stands and went down to be part of the tunnel walk. I was sitting next to a woman and an empty seat. I asked if the seat was a for a former player. She said yes, but he played a long time ago. She said I wouldn't know him, i as too young, etc.

And that is how I met Jeff Kinney. I had to explain to his new wife that, yes, Jeff was kind of a big deal in Nebraska.

I sat next to his mother at a Nebraska game while he was recovering from his dislocated knee. Wonderful woman.

Who else have you met that is related to the huskers?

One of my favorites was Jordan Westerkamp's mom. She stopped by our tailgate and gave us some extra tickets they had, which allowed some out of state relatives to attend. She was quite outgoing, loves Nebraska. Plus she's kinda hot. So there you go.

My son, back in the day, when he was six years old, developed a relationship with Turner Gill, Mike Rozier and Irving Fryar. I was a grad student at the time and Boyd Epley invited us to a practice. During a special teams practice, my kid played touch football with the above mentioned and a few other Huskers. He, my son, played QB, Rozier RB, Fryar WR, and Gill at center. He threw a TD pass to Fryar.

A few weeks later we invited them to dinner. Only Fryar was able to make it.

Great times.

Met many Huskers over the years. Used to hunt with Brent Longwell.

Also helped put Bob Devaney in a cab from the Legion Club on “O” St. Tried to pay the cab fare but the cab driver would not accept. Said he had done it several times prior.:nod::Biggrin:

Last edited:
I met Muriel Eppley 25 years ago when she first brought in some jewelry in need of repair. Once I found out she was Boyd's mom I told her her money was no good, that I couldn't charge her for anything. She was a proud woman and would plead for me to accept payment. I got to a point after several transactions that she made me promise to charge her or she wouldn't leave it for repair. Soo I did, $1.00 :cool:

A number of years ago, after her husband passed away it was time for Muriel to move to assisted living and she came to my store to tell me the news, she said she had a gift for me. She brought me a "yard long" picture, a pannoramic of the the 1995 National Championship team, she points to Boyd and says "that my Boyd". I told her I couldn't accept it, it meant too much to those in the family. She insisted, I asked her to sign it, handed her a sharpie and she did. She handed it back to me, it read "Boyds Mom"
I've talked to Boyd and was told it's OK..... it's probably my most cherished Husker momento, Muriel was priceless.

This topic comes up every now and again.

Went to Millard North with Eric Crouch and Judd Davies. I wouldn't say that they'd recognize me today, but I had a few classes with Judd. I've also met/worked alongside Coach Ron Brown at a number of Youth For Christ events in Omaha and Lincoln. Of any of our former assistants, Ron is one that I'll miss the most. That guy EXUDED both Husker spirit and a love for kids that stems from his own relationship with Jesus Christ. I always appreciated that he was a hard workin', God-fearin' kind of man and was never shy about his faith.

I'll never forget that Nebraska was the first game Penn State played after the Sandusky madness broke and they had Ron Brown lead a pre-game prayer with both the NU and PSU benches kneeling on the field. That was a classy act if I've ever seen one.

I had the pleasure of meeting a lovely women who ended up being Abdul Muhammad's mom. I was at the 'Yes Man' shoot at the Colosseum and asked if the empty seat next to her was available while waiting in the staging area. What an absolute wonderful lady and she told me a couple good stories about TO. My life is better for having met her.

C

This topic comes up every now and again.

Went to Millard North with Eric Crouch and Judd Davies. I wouldn't say that they'd recognize me today, but I had a few classes with Judd. I've also met/worked alongside Coach Ron Brown at a number of Youth For Christ events in Omaha and Lincoln. Of any of our former assistants, Ron is one that I'll miss the most. That guy EXUDED both Husker spirit and a love for kids that stems from his own relationship with Jesus Christ. I always appreciated that he was a hard workin', God-fearin' kind of man and was never shy about his faith.

I'll never forget that Nebraska was the first game Penn State played after the Sandusky madness broke and they had Ron Brown lead a pre-game prayer with both the NU and PSU benches kneeling on the field. That was a classy act if I've ever seen one.

I have a Ron Brown Story. I was stationed in Wiesbaden, Germany when Isaiah Fluellen was attending Ramstein HS, Germany. One day I read that Isaiah had broken all of the DODDS-Europe sprint records in one day - 10.5 100 meters, 21.2 200 meters, and 46.5 400 meters. I sent a note to George Darlington, but he did not respond. So I contacted the UNL track and field department and spoke with a fellow named Billy Maxwell. I told him what Isaiah had done. He didn't believe me so I faxed him the newspaper article on it.

Billy Maxwell contacted some officials at Ramstein HS, Germany. He found out Isaiah was a good student and that his T&F accomplishments were legit. A week later he flew to Germany to visit Isaiah and offer him a T&F scholarship. Isaiah's dad, Melvin, wanted his son to get a football scholarship (hopefully to Tennessee) so Maxwell took Isaiah's football & track highlight tape to Frank Solich. The football coaches viewed the tape and decided to offer Isaiah a full football scholarship.

Ron Brown was assigned as the lead recruiter for Isaiah. Ron Brown flew over to Germany to visit Isaiah twice. The 2nd time, Frank Solich came along.

Anyway, long before Ron had even heard of Isaiah, the youth Pastor at Ramstein AB had heard Ron Brown speak on a radio program and had asked Ron to come to Germany to speak to his youth group. The recruitment of Isaiah provided that opportunity.

On Ron Brown's first day at Ramstein, he watched Isaiah's basketball practice and then headed over to the Chapel to address the youth group. It may have been the most stirring sermon I had ever heard. After Ron was done with his sermon, Isaiah's dad Melvin, who was the lead Chaplain at Ramstein, jumped up and declared "I want my son to play for that man!" And that is just what happened.

Turns out that Melvin and Ron were born on the same day, and both were born in Tennessee. They became very good friends. After Isaiah enrolled at UNL, Melvin got an assignment at Offutt AFB, Omaha. Isaiah's younger brother Silas became a fine QB at Bellevue West and went on to play QB Wayne State. I think Isaiah still lives and works in Omaha.

http://www.dailynebraskan.com/fresh...cle_622f7ac1-72d9-5810-8f44-75b9f97aed39.html

Ron Brown said that I reminded him of the lead character from the movie "A Beautiful Mind." He said he would pray for me.

A-Beautiful-Mind-Movie-Quotes-1.jpg

Last edited:
I met both Osborne and Devaney 2 or 3 times back around '91 or so. I worked in the office of the Dean of Academic Affairs. It was right next door to either the President of Chancellor's office. I don't remember which. Anyway I remember once someone important was having a birthday party and they invited us over to join in. Might have even been Graham Spanier of Penn St infamy. I knew him around that time. Osborne was always kind and polite. Devaney was half in the bag. LOL

Edit:
I also ran into Osborne once over in the stadium. It was inside underneath south stadium. Possibly at the ticket offices? God it's been so long ago. I think I was picking up my student season tickets or some such thing. Anyway there was the coach. I said hey and chatted with him for a minute. I think that was the first time I met him.

Last edited:
I had the pleasure of meeting a lovely women who ended up being Abdul Muhammad's mom. I was at the 'Yes Man' shoot at the Colosseum and asked if the empty seat next to her was available while waiting in the staging area. What an absolute wonderful lady and she told me a couple good stories about TO. My life is better for having met her.

C
I briefly met her at the 93 game in Pasadena. However my big meet was the Booker family. Told this story a few times.

My dad used to send me the annual preseason section from the World Herald. One of the articles was about Michael and how his Mom who lived in Oceanside had to pay for his first year of school. I thought if that was my kid I would want this article. Since I was stationed on Camp Pendleton. I looked up every Booker in the phone book till I found her.

Turned out she worked on base two blocks from my unit. I delivered her the article the next morning. 3 months later after the destruction of FL. She invited me over to her house for a BBQ. When I got their she called Mike downstairs. She introduced me. Next thing I know he was handing me the Defensive MVP trophy saying. "Did you see my mom's trophy." Then Dion walked in and Michael told me that this was his little brother who was going to be better than him. I of course said, "For Nebraska I hope." He laughed.

His Mom also gave my parents 1 set of her tickets because she could only make one game a year. My mom said that they were perfect. They were 5 rows up on the 50. She told me if they were any lower the players would have blocked her view.

Amazing what you can get out of a good gesture. I did not expect anything.

Another one which is not football related. Many of you may remember Jordan Burroughs former Nebraska Wrestler olympic champion. Well during wrestling season I noticed one of the Refs come in wearing a N jacket. Turns out he was Jordan's roommate. Name was Mike Rowe. http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=212979&DB_OEM_ID=100

Last edited:
I work with Matt Slauson's father-in-law. His FIL was impressed with how much I knew about an offensive lineman upon hearing his name.

My parents were good friends of Al and Patty Bahe, parents of Ritch and Chip. Al was also my HS basketball coach. Actually gave an impromptu golf lesson to Chip one time when I ran into them at Valley golf course. Met TO once in the Dallas airport while waiting in line at the ticket counter. Guy I was travelling with was a former Creighton bb player who TO had recruited to play football at Nebraska. This was only a couple of days after the Orange Bowl loss to Miami but I do remember the pilot announced TO was on board and congratulated him on going for the win rather than the tie.

I sat next to FB Willie Miller's parents for a game. They were a hoot. Think dad kept calling Erwin Swinney highway because he thought everyone could pass on him lol

Last edited:

Gerry Gdowski was the featured speaker at my church youth group banquet. Seemed like a pretty good guy.

My school took a tour of the stadium as a field trip. Mike Croel was hanging out in the locker room.

Yep. I'm 43.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back