1. You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.
    Dismiss Notice

Graduate Transfer CBs

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by Ellis Boyd Redding, May 4, 2018.

1. Nemesis

Nemesis Frequently Upends Common Knowledge

Hey man, if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

Cyberbach, Huskerwag and HuSkaBob like this.
  2. goodnterribles

goodnterribles Regulators! Let's mount up. 5 Year Member

Oof

3. AzHusker

AzHusker All Legend 10 Year Member

Luckily, that is your issue, not the coaches who’ve seen it work out and know better. Whether he’s a HS grad or a college grad, it’s all about fit.

Grad transfers are the bright kids, good additions to a team if they are a fit.

Junior college transfers may be a little riskier - but there is potential reward with them too, again based on fit. Mike Hughes, chosen #30 overall in the NFL draft last year from UCF is a decent example of that: http://ucfknights.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=6024

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  4. RockyMtnHusker

RockyMtnHusker Recruit

I think the grad transfer approach is an effective one to cover gaps in recruiting. Whether the issue is because we "miss" on a kid that told us they would sign and didn't, or lose a kid to injury or just ineffectiveness, there will always be situations where you are unexpectedly thin at a position. It's a great way to add some depth at a position of need - often with a somewhat proven commodity. I expect we'll have more depth after several years of Frost and team's recruiting, so maybe the need for this decreases. Having said that, I am not skeptical of all grad transfers. I think you have to look at them individually and see if this works for them. If they have the right talent, discipline, passion, and attitude, they can fit it nicely at DONU.

AzHusker likes this.
  5. Red Crawdad

Red Crawdad Varsity 10 Year Member

Nope, that's a mole. It's only molar when you dissolve the little monster in a liter of solvent. :eek:

6. NJHuskerFan

NJHuskerFan Recruit 5 Year Member

I had moles in my back yard. Should I have dissolved them in a liter of solvent?

NU_Alum likes this.
  7. denisonred

denisonred Junior Varsity 10 Year Member

Thanks for the info SSO. I guess I had never looked at it from that angle but it does make good sense.

8. Big Red Shrine

Big Red Shrine Elite Poster 2 Year Member

Interesting quotes from Jefferies. I get that as a grad transfer you want to start, but this seems a bit much.

https://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/sipple/steven-m-sipple-huskers-work-into-summer-months-to-improve/article_afefae20-2d8b-5bce-8308-cc395956cc7b.html

9. AzHusker

I agree. I'm not sure how well that message would work with our coaches, who would say "you'll earn your playing time like everyone else does." I like Coach Fisher's method of making decisions about playing time, too. Players earn points in every practice for every play, positive or negative. Guys that make the most positive plays and least negative plays get first priority for playing time. It's that simple - and no room for argument.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    Nemesis likes this.
  10. HoustonHusker

HoustonHusker Red Shirt

Hell, I like the confidence. Jefferies believes he’s got NFL talent and wants to be THE GUY wherever he transfers to. NU could use that swagger at DB.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    TXschue and AzHusker like this.
  11. AzHusker

Me too - as long as he can back it up.

HoustonHusker likes this.
  12. HoustonHusker

HoustonHusker Red Shirt

True that. And if he ends up slipping on the depth chart, hopefully he can be a team player and not be cancerous. All in all, I’m sure the staff has done their due diligence.

AzHusker likes this.
  13. AzHusker

I sure the staff has. Look, with T. Fish's record of putting guys in The League - the kid is wise to give Nebraska a shot. Fisher has street cred. And he's an adult in the room, too - he won't let any individual drag down the mission of his unit or of the team.

RockyMtnHusker and HoustonHusker like this.
  14. FeelLikeAStranger

FeelLikeAStranger Keeping it Brockmire 15 Year Member

If there's any position you want that attitude...it's CB.

HoustonHusker and AzHusker like this.
  15. HoustonHusker

HoustonHusker Red Shirt

Fisher stuck out to me at first glance when looking at this staff due to his NFL career. Along with putting a few guys in the league like you mention. Didn’t realize Mike Hughes came into UCF as a JUCO, safe to say Fisher had a part in that. Hopefully, Jefferies pulls the trigger as him starting as a true freshman means more than likely the kid has got some game. To be fair, I’ll be happy with anybody that wants to join the DB unit at this point.

AzHusker likes this.