• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

George Whitfield raves about Husker QB Tanner Lee, 'one of the purest passers' he's been around

We'll see I guess. but I thought one outstanding trait he showed in the spring game was the ability to move well within the pocket. That is a trait long missing in our QBs, and one that is particularly present among the good QBs. A step this way, that way and bingo, off goes the pass.

I can see how the completion percentage would increase with better receivers, better alternative weapons, etc. Easily. But we'll see.

in this offence i'd rather the QB have this quality than the tendency to escape the pocket and look to run first

I would love to see Lee come out on fire and look like an NFL-ready QB this year. But . . . I think the hype machine is running a little rich based on the spring game. I mean, yeah, we were pretty vanilla--but he frankly didn't strike me as a "wow" player at this point. Had some nice throws but doesn't seem to move or move and throw all that well.

I dunno . . . would be fantastic if he's just that good, but I'm tempering my enthusiasm until I see enough games and wins to believe it. I've been beaten down by the pessimism of too long of a quality QB drought, I guess.
He did not have to in the spring game. Do you want him to move for moving sake?

We'll see I guess. but I thought one outstanding trait he showed in the spring game was the ability to move well within the pocket. That is a trait long missing in our QBs, and one that is particularly present among the good QBs. A step this way, that way and bingo, off goes the pass.

I can see how the completion percentage would increase with better receivers, better alternative weapons, etc. Easily. But we'll see.

Agree on the bolded. Past QBs bailed on the pocket at times even before there was much pressure. Lee looked very comfortable creating space to make throws.

And on more than a couple plays he actually stepped up in the pocket and completed a pass. I have missed that in a QB at NU.

C
rewatching the spring game and the play where red went to 34 points he got chased out of the pocket and ran to his right and hit a Reciever right before he stepped out of bounds. That is pretty good footwork.

The NFL teams don't care how well he runs, as long as he moves well enough to get out of trouble (which he does just fine). A couple of examples are T Brady and D Brees. I much prefer having an actual Passing threat at QB, instead of having a good runner who can hit 50% of his passes on a good day, which is what we've had over past 4 yrs

The NFL teams don't care how well he runs, as long as he moves well enough to get out of trouble (which he does just fine). A couple of examples are T Brady and D Brees. I much prefer having an actual Passing threat at QB, instead of having a good runner who can hit 50% of his passes on a good day, which is what we've had over past 4 yrs
Marino made it all the way to the hall of fame and could not outrun a turtle.

Agree on the bolded. Past QBs bailed on the pocket at times even before there was much pressure. Lee looked very comfortable creating space to make throws.
We've had QB's the past 8 years that usually wanted to run first, pass second IMO. It's why so many plays broke down because of the indecision and made our O-line look worse then it was IMO.

I'm hoping Lee is the answer to having a potent passing attack this season.....

Last edited:
I would love to see Lee come out on fire and look like an NFL-ready QB this year. But . . . I think the hype machine is running a little rich based on the spring game. I mean, yeah, we were pretty vanilla--but he frankly didn't strike me as a "wow" player at this point. Had some nice throws but doesn't seem to move or move and throw all that well.

I dunno . . . would be fantastic if he's just that good, but I'm tempering my enthusiasm until I see enough games and wins to believe it. I've been beaten down by the pessimism of too long of a quality QB drought, I guess.
Actually, I think the Spring game merely confirmed that the hype we've all been hearing for over a year, just might be true. It started with, the Billy Devaney story about the Manning camps, was verified by player accounts from Gerry and Banderas, confirmed in the Spring, and now comments keep flowing in from "experts" around the country. There is plenty of hype all right...some folks are going to look mighty smart or pretty stupid, there's not a lot of in between here. I hope they are smart.

Last edited:

I can see it too. I'm really not trying to be a naysayer. It's just odd that a guy who was a 51% passer in 2015 is now one of the "purest passers around" 18 months and zero starts later. Tulane's schedule was 109/128 in 2015, so it's a bit difficult to accept that the team was simply out-talented every week.

He was also a 54% passer as a senior in high school. NU needs Lee to be a 60% passer at minimum to compete for a division title.
Peyton Manning goes from 56% to 62% in one year. Then again went from 62% to 66% a few years later after getting a new head coach.

I can see it too. I'm really not trying to be a naysayer. It's just odd that a guy who was a 51% passer in 2015 is now one of the "purest passers around" 18 months and zero starts later. Tulane's schedule was 109/128 in 2015, so it's a bit difficult to accept that the team was simply out-talented every week.

He was also a 54% passer as a senior in high school. NU needs Lee to be a 60% passer at minimum to compete for a division title.
One thing I'll bet on is if Lee isn't pushing 60% with a very low INT rate he won't be the starter very long! MR and DL don't have a bunch of muligans lined up IMO. Better see some outstanding progress or the heat is really going to get turned up.

You will hear POB, POB, POB chanted should Lee not live up close to his billing....

More years than that.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back