• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Gaylord

I'll be pleasantly shocked, if Gaylord sees anything but minimal action in a back-up role, but I'm not connected the way some seem to be.

This move if they make it has more to do with Farnioks ability on the edge than helping us with running on short yardage. We really struggled at times protecting the edge on passing downs. Gaylord actually did the best in pass blocking, thus why this is being tossed around as a possible move for Farniok.

Edge protection is important, however remember the years of Tommy Armstrong seeing pass rushers straight up the gut and having no time at all to respond. AM saw the same thing till the center was changed and Boe Wilson came in at guard giving us much stronger yet still imperfect interior pass protection.

I stand by my post which describes interior strength for run/pass reasons having as much to do with maximizing Farniok's strengths with a position change rather than his edge rush weakness.

Great minds can differ! :)

Edge protection is important, however remember the years of Tommy Armstrong seeing pass rushers straight up the gut and having no time at all to respond. AM saw the same thing till the center was changed and Boe Wilson came in at guard giving us much stronger yet still imperfect interior pass protection.

I stand by my post which describes interior strength for run/pass reasons having as much to do with maximizing Farniok's strengths with a position change rather than his edge rush weakness.

Great minds can differ! :)
You are right that if we see pressure up the middle, that is the worst possible scenario. Tommy Armstrong doesn’t have much to do with a Matt Farniok 2019 possible position change in my opinion. However, rush up the middle wasn’t an issue for us in 2018 per the stats as Conrad only allowed one QB pressure all year. Further, Farmer, Conrad, Wilson, and Foster gave up less QB hurries and QB sacks combined compared to Jaimes and Farniok.

Farniok is possibly moving because he struggled on the outside. But him going to guard won’t make a better G-C-G combo than what we had last year. Him moving may give us more options tho to help pick up those third and fourth and shorts. Because Gaylord actually graded out much better than MF in both run and pass blocking.

Last edited:
Shame we are not all in with Gaylord. He is a year older now and 2nd year in this system. Two years with Duval. It is possible that he has developed into a decent right tackle for us. I know back in the day you wouldn't hear about a offensive lineman for the first 2-3 years of his career, then all of a sudden in his senior year was a solid ballplayer. I hate to declare him inadequate until he proves himself that way

Shame we are not all in with Gaylord. He is a year older now and 2nd year in this system. Two years with Duval. It is possible that he has developed into a decent right tackle for us. I know back in the day you wouldn't hear about a offensive lineman for the first 2-3 years of his career, then all of a sudden in his senior year was a solid ballplayer. I hate to declare him inadequate until he proves himself that way
I doubt anyone is calling him inadequate. What concerns me about the move (if it happens) is we are moving a starter for an unknown. But with the way Gaylord graded out (#1 on the team, tho limited snaps so small sample size) they need to look at getting him on the field. It's about getting your best 5 out there.

In the end for me, it's all going to be about finding the right center. Where Farniok plays is irrelevant to our success in my opinion.

I doubt anyone is calling him inadequate. What concerns me about the move (if it happens) is we are moving a starter for an unknown. But with the way Gaylord graded out (#1 on the team, tho limited snaps so small sample size) they need to look at getting him on the field. It's about getting your best 5 out there.

In the end for me, it's all going to be about finding the right center. Where Farniok plays is irrelevant to our success in my opinion.

Maybe M. Farniok should move to center.

Maybe M. Farniok should move to center.
tenor.gif

Amazing how center has been issue like forever!!

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back