• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Gaylord

Maybe i missed something, but how can you say the bolded above and then one post later say you are not sold on the move?? Or is the bolded NOT still referring to Farniok?

If he will be our best, it would appear to be a good thing to put him in that spot.
It's my opinion he will be our best guard, because that is his best position and Wilson will be the other starter. I don't agree with the move for the same reason I didn't like the Kalu move to safety so that we could start Jackson. Kalu was thought of as an NFL safety, thus the move, but it wasn't what was best for us throwing Lamar Jackson into a starting role. I don't like moving an established guy at a position, for someone that played 50 snaps last year (Gaylord), someone with less snaps than that (Sichterman), or a true freshman coming in.

Another way that i'm looking at it is I also think we have a ton of depth on the interior, so we have way more options to get a better starting 5 out there. So let's say Gaylord or Benhart is our 8th or 9th best linemen, but we have to start them at tackle because we move Farniok to guard, is that really a better line? Here's the hypothetcial:

LT Jaimes (1)
LG Wilson (3)
C Miller (6)
RG Farniok (2)

You then have to find a RT that is in your 8th thru 12th range of best linemen. Or...

LT Jaimes (1)
LG Wilson (3)
C Miller (6)
RG HIxson, Raridon, WFarniok (4th-10th)
RT Farniok (2)

Keep in mind, that's based on who was close to playing last year. I'm just stating that I think finding someone to replace Farniok at tackle may have us putting a lesser guy at RT, than keeping Farniok at RT and getting someone to fill the guard role. All that said, I trust the coaches on this one. If Gaylord's been proving it, and Farniok is a better guard, do it. It's what they think will make us the best.

Hope that makes sense in terms of why I think Farniok will be our best guard, but not necessarily the best move for our offense.

It's my opinion he will be our best guard, because that is his best position and Wilson will be the other starter. I don't agree with the move for the same reason I didn't like the Kalu move to safety so that we could start Jackson. Kalu was thought of as an NFL safety, thus the move, but it wasn't what was best for us throwing Lamar Jackson into a starting role. I don't like moving an established guy at a position, for someone that played 50 snaps last year (Gaylord), someone with less snaps than that (Sichterman), or a true freshman coming in.

Another way that i'm looking at it is I also think we have a ton of depth on the interior, so we have way more options to get a better starting 5 out there. So let's say Gaylord or Benhart is our 8th or 9th best linemen, but we have to start them at tackle because we move Farniok to guard, is that really a better line? Here's the hypothetcial:

LT Jaimes (1)
LG Wilson (3)
C Miller (6)
RG Farniok (2)

You then have to find a RT that is in your 8th thru 12th range of best linemen. Or...

LT Jaimes (1)
LG Wilson (3)
C Miller (6)
RG HIxson, Raridon, WFarniok (4th-10th)
RT Farniok (2)

Keep in mind, that's based on who was close to playing last year. I'm just stating that I think finding someone to replace Farniok at tackle may have us putting a lesser guy at RT, than keeping Farniok at RT and getting someone to fill the guard role. All that said, I trust the coaches on this one. If Gaylord's been proving it, and Farniok is a better guard, do it. It's what they think will make us the best.

Hope that makes sense in terms of why I think Farniok will be our best guard, but not necessarily the best move for our offense.
I agree. I would add that the move now makes a lot more sense as a long-term plan. Farniok is a junior, so he'll get two years to own that position, which I assume will be Right Guard. Even if Gaylord isn't one of the top 10 overall, he's got to be close, and having Benhart behind him shores things up. Look at that same lineup in year two, and we look like we could be nasty. Even by the end of this year, I can see everyone settling into things. I'd like to see some rotation, too, with younger guys getting meaningful snaps. Having a team like Troy at the beginning of the schedule last year was a bad piece of luck, but (unless I'm missing it) I'm not seeing anyone with complicated defensive line schemes on our schedule before Ohio State this year. That will be a test in a number of ways, but if our O-line can hold their own then, the remaining schedule this year should be more than manageable, and 2020 could potentially be our best O-line in a long, long time.

I agree. I would add that the move now makes a lot more sense as a long-term plan. Farniok is a junior, so he'll get two years to own that position, which I assume will be Right Guard. Even if Gaylord isn't one of the top 10 overall, he's got to be close, and having Benhart behind him shores things up. Look at that same lineup in year two, and we look like we could be nasty. Even by the end of this year, I can see everyone settling into things. I'd like to see some rotation, too, with younger guys getting meaningful snaps. Having a team like Troy at the beginning of the schedule last year was a bad piece of luck, but (unless I'm missing it) I'm not seeing anyone with complicated defensive line schemes on our schedule before Ohio State this year. That will be a test in a number of ways, but if our O-line can hold their own then, the remaining schedule this year should be more than manageable, and 2020 could potentially be our best O-line in a long, long time.
I have someone I trust that told me he wasn't sure we would start a senior on offense in 2019, "unless Woodyard turns it on as he's been doing well." From the reports coming from the Benhart camp, and this move of Farniok, makes me think we are setting the table for a true freshman starter. But that's looking into it a little too much on my end I think. I wouldn't be shocked to see Gaylord start. For me, we had guys like Hixson, Miller, Raridon, who were all closer to taking some PT last year than Gaylord was. That's why it took me off guard. I like the athleticism tho he brings to the table, and again, he had the best grade out of any offensive lineman on our team last year. Just was a pretty small sample size.

His slower foot speed is what is causing the move. Not quick enough to be out on the edge. Gaylord (as well as Sichterman) is much better in that aspect.
My thought exactly... not fast enough for guard but fast enough for tackle? Doesn't make sense. So I think if they can find a better tackle, Farniok at guard would be an improvement.

All I know is Farniok had trouble with speed rushers off the edge. But a lot of tackles do. You have to compensate by helping with running back or tight end. We don't have the perfect players at every position yet so we will make do with what we have

One thing I think everyone has missed in this discussion is why would Coach Austin and Coach Frost want Farniok moved inside to guard.

First answer is: Fourth down. Last year we clearly failed to have the inside strength needed to get first downs on short yardage. That hast to be a priority fix for 2019, with Farniok a clear part of that fix as well as a strong center (I think its going to end up being the Juco, story for another day).

Second answer is a again the running game: some much of it depends on guard play more than tackle play that moving Farniok inside is a clear positive move just like bringing in Boe Wilson was last year.

Third answer is in the passing game the most disruptive thing for Martinez has been the inside rush. Changing center help that a lot but our guards still got beat more than desired last year. Its much harder to avoid the inside rush than it is to step up to avoid an outside rusher who has defeated your right tackle, especially as gifted a runner as AM.

So, I think the O-line is best with the strongest possible center/guards combination and then if we go with Gaylord or a gifted Freshman in Benhart so that the inside can be strong, I believe that is the better play than leaving Farniok outside an having a weaker guard.

GBR

One thing I think everyone has missed in this discussion is why would Coach Austin and Coach Frost want Farniok moved inside to guard.

First answer is: Fourth down. Last year we clearly failed to have the inside strength needed to get first downs on short yardage. That hast to be a priority fix for 2019, with Farniok a clear part of that fix as well as a strong center (I think its going to end up being the Juco, story for another day).

Second answer is a again the running game: some much of it depends on guard play more than tackle play that moving Farniok inside is a clear positive move just like bringing in Boe Wilson was last year.

Third answer is in the passing game the most disruptive thing for Martinez has been the inside rush. Changing center help that a lot but our guards still got beat more than desired last year. Its much harder to avoid the inside rush than it is to step up to avoid an outside rusher who has defeated your right tackle, especially as gifted a runner as AM.

So, I think the O-line is best with the strongest possible center/guards combination and then if we go with Gaylord or a gifted Freshman in Benhart so that the inside can be strong, I believe that is the better play than leaving Farniok outside an having a weaker guard.

GBR

Makes sense to me, all other things being equal. This O-line has GOT to own those 3rd- or 4th-and-short-yardage situations. They were embarrassed last year on so many attempts.

All I know is Farniok had trouble with speed rushers off the edge. But a lot of tackles do. You have to compensate by helping with running back or tight end. We don't have the perfect players at every position yet so we will make do with what we have

Yep, hence the hard recruiting of Benhart, et al. :nod: Fast and long - will give AM just that extra second or so...

Makes sense to me, all other things being equal. This O-line has GOT to own those 3rd- or 4th-and-short-yardage situations. They were embarrassed last year on so many attempts.
This move if they make it has more to do with Farnioks ability on the edge than helping us with running on short yardage. We really struggled at times protecting the edge on passing downs. Gaylord actually did the best in pass blocking, thus why this is being tossed around as a possible move for Farniok.

This move if they make it has more to do with Farnioks ability on the edge than helping us with running on short yardage. We really struggled at times protecting the edge on passing downs. Gaylord actually did the best in pass blocking, thus why this is being tossed around as a possible move for Farniok.

We struggled with both at times, but upon reflection protecting that edge for the pass would be a higher priority, good point.

We struggled with both at times, but upon reflection protecting that edge for the pass would be a higher priority, good point.
We struggled mightily at short yardage running. Farniok just isn’t fast enough to handle those speed rushers at times. With how Gaylord graded out pass blocking, they will give him a serious look.

What’s crazy is is that Tanner Farmer, Boe Wilson, Jerald Foster, Trent Hixson, and Cole Conrad allowed fewer combined QB pressures all season, and the same amount of sacks as Farniok.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back