• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

GameDay in Lincoln?

Having the program back in a place where we actually have a legit complaint if the don't come to Lincoln would be a huge step in the right direction, ESPN hate aside.
It turned out miserably last time, both for me and the team. Had to carry a girl from the stadium all the way back to Selleck. As for the team, well, you know.

It turned out miserably last time, both for me and the team. Had to carry a girl from the stadium all the way back to Selleck. As for the team, well, you know.

NU will have good days in the spotlight again. Sooner than later, IMO. Don't know about the girl.

Well, we know Herbstreit has no love lost on Nebraska. And he's a Buckeye alum. He does seem to like Frost, though.

Regardless, maybe they show up - and WE show up on both offense and defense. In any event, if GameDay comes, The Greatest Fans In College Football won't disappoint. Win or lose, we'll be there in droves. Would love a night game since GameDay starts at 8am Central. I could easily see them setting up gear at 5am to a crowd of 20k already at Memorial.

Well, we know Herbstreit has no love lost on Nebraska. And he's a Buckeye alum. He does seem to like Frost, though.
I'm not quite in that wheel house of believing Herbstreit hates Nebraska. He has actually said some good things about SF. I know he took a lot of heat for what he said in 2016 for laughing at us being ranked in the top 10 but...….dang he was right.

I'm not quite in that wheel house of believing Herbstreit hates Nebraska. He has actually said some good things about SF. I know he took a lot of heat for what he said in 2016 for laughing at us being ranked in the top 10 but...….dang he was right.
The problem is he still hasn't recanted his blasphemy. When he admits that he was a complete and utter dumb ass for suggesting that 01 Miami > 95 Nebraska because he 'questions how much competetion Nebraska saw in 95', then he'll be forgiven. The 95 Huskers beat 4 top 10 opponents (top 10 at time of contest AND at end of season) including the undefeated SEC champion and #2 team in the nation, and they did so by an average of 35 points. 01 Miami beat a grand total of 1 top ten team that didnt even win its own division.

Edit: and that doesn't even cover the rest of his ignorance in that segment. 86 Penn St over 71 Nebraska? Ok Kirk.

Last edited:

It would be great for Nebraska to be on game day, but I can honestly say I really haven't paid that much attention to it in at least 5 years or so. I may turn it on a watch a little here and there, but I am usually busy doing something before games start for the day. The show is also too long. It went to 3 hours about 4 years ago and it is just a bunch of filler mostly.

The problem is he still hasn't recanted his blasphemy. When he admits that he was a complete and utter dumb ass for suggesting that 01 Miami > 95 Nebraska because he 'questions how much competetion Nebraska saw in 95', then he'll be forgiven. The 95 Huskers beat 4 top 10 opponents (top 10 at time of contest AND at end of season) including the undefeated SEC champion and #2 team in the nation, and they did so by an average of 35 points. 01 Miami beat a grand total of 1 top ten team that didnt even win its own division.

Edit: and that doesn't even cover the rest of his ignorance in that segment. 86 Penn St over 71 Nebraska? Ok Kirk.

I completely agree with Herbstreit's "questions how much competition Nebraska saw in 95". He was correct. The 1995 team didn't face much competition in college football. If I remember correctly, we beat teams #2, #3, and #4 in the final rankings. None of those games were even close. To have faced real competition in 1995, the team would have to have been given a shot at some of the NFL teams (not necessarily the Super Bowl winner). So, technically, Herbstreit was correct.:Huskerflag:

I don't think Herbstriet has anything against Nebraska. The two instances I've seen as examples:

1. 2016 - from the point where he was kind of laughing, we went 2-4 the rest of the year. So, while I wouldn't have laughed, even as a huge Neb supporter, I didn't think we would stay ranked that high and it turns out he was completely right.
  2. All-time greats show - The way I heard the story, was that the producers saw the Neb fans were overwhelming the voting process so the show was turning into an all-Neb discussion. In his earpiece - they said to do / say something interesting or controversial to keep the thing going and to keep the national audience. He very easily could have been grasping at straws to be a contrarian just to give them something / anything to talk about.
I think in general, Herbstriet is a straight shooter - the biggest issue is that there hasn't been much for him to celebrate with Nebraska with regards to the national stage. When that changes, I am confident that he will be one of the first in line to recognize that.

I guess if I held a grudge against any announcer who has said anything about Nebraska under the last few coaches it would take up a few sheets of paper. :Biggrin:

I don't think Herbstriet has anything against Nebraska. The two instances I've seen as examples:

1. 2016 - from the point where he was kind of laughing, we went 2-4 the rest of the year. So, while I wouldn't have laughed, even as a huge Neb supporter, I didn't think we would stay ranked that high and it turns out he was completely right.
  2. All-time greats show - The way I heard the story, was that the producers saw the Neb fans were overwhelming the voting process so the show was turning into an all-Neb discussion. In his earpiece - they said to do / say something interesting or controversial to keep the thing going and to keep the national audience. He very easily could have been grasping at straws to be a contrarian just to give them something / anything to talk about.
I think in general, Herbstriet is a straight shooter - the biggest issue is that there hasn't been much for him to celebrate with Nebraska with regards to the national stage. When that changes, I am confident that he will be one of the first in line to recognize that.

Good post RMH. I'd like to see you be right about the bold. Might just change my view of him.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back