1. You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.
    Dismiss Notice

Frost was offered the Florida job

Discussion in 'Football' started by redwinghusker, Jun 13, 2018.

1. redwinghusker

redwinghusker All Big 10 5 Year Member

I wonder what would have happened had UF said bring your whole coaching staff? I still think they end up at NU, but you never know.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/football/husker-notes-tight-ends-coach-sean-beckton-says-florida-would/article_4c714455-2004-573a-92c8-087aa48add3d.html

2. ColombianHusker

ColombianHusker Throw the damn bones! 2 Year Member

Still NU. Good to stir some clicks though.

3. Lavaman

Lavaman Rebel Scum 5 Year Member

Vinosker and redwinghusker like this.
  4. BornRed

BornRed Recruit

Reading this definitely raised an eyebrow. I took it as the reason they didn't go to Florida was Frost could not take his whole staff. Meaning if he could take his whole staff he takes the job?

5. jwoods

jwoods Consensus 2 Star 2 Year Member

I took it as Frost would only consider job offers if he could bring who he wanted. Beckton brought it up as a way to illustrate Frost's loyalty to the guys that got him to where he is.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    Lavaman, huskrthill, AzHusker and 3 others like this.
  6. husker6

husker6 Husker Baby 3:16 says GO BIG RED!!! 10 Year Member

Good point but it seemed like all the open coaching positions were moving so fast (and that train wreck, Tennessee was the worst) that I would wonder if he wouldn't have ended up at Nebraska anyway. Have faith in the Moos.

7. Big Red Shrine

Big Red Shrine Elite Poster 2 Year Member

Read that today as well. Seems we were told by some on the board just a month ago that Frost had no other offers, no interest in anywhere but NU, and was ours once Eichorst left.

Seems Moos may have had to do some work. Who knew? I’m glad he had the flexibility and foresight to let Scott pick his crew. Hard to believe someone from a 13-0 squad would present a problem for us in the future, but we can be patient if he has to make a move or 2. No guarantee he would have taken the UF offer, but seems a silly place to draw your red line.

LarstheRed and Hville like this.
  8. Red Dead Redemption

Red Dead Redemption Head Lackey 5 Year Member

I wonder how much UF was offering?
    IIRC, someone here was pushing a "SF is insincere and is all about the money"-type agenda.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  9. Nemesis

Nemesis Frequently Upends Common Knowledge

The article doesn't actually confirm that he had an offer. He may have asked about his coaching staff before getting a formal offer and cut off talks when they said "no".

It definitely doesn't confirm that he would've taken an offer if they had said "yes".

10. Big Red Shrine

There is no doubt they could match what we offered. Whether it got that far is another question.

11. 1standten

1standten Junior Varsity 2 Year Member

While Frost likely talked with a few schools toward the end of the season, I doubt Frost would have seriously considered taking any other openings until he knew for sure NU wasn't going to be open. This was his preferred job as he's stated many times.

ColombianHusker likes this.
  12. the fountainhead

the fountainhead Scout Team 5 Year Member

Who knows? I think it was destined that he end up here...he got paid, all of his assistants came, and he has the comfort factor here - he was gushing about turkey hunting with TO. Timing and everything else lined up perfect in this case!

ColombianHusker likes this.
  13. 1standten

1standten Junior Varsity 2 Year Member

In any case it's a good look for Frost in the eyes of potential HS recruits from Florida ;)

14. Hville

Hville Scout Team 2 Year Member

Well we know the talks were far enough along that they were already talking staffing. I would say there was some serious thinking going on by SF

LarstheRed likes this.
  15. Big Red Shrine

Agreed. If you have no interest at all, why ask the question? Smart to keep his options open until a deal was done.

Hville likes this.