• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Former SEAL eagerly meets his next challenge as a Husker football player

I'm going out on a limb here and saying this man will be a heavy contributor for this team in a few years.
Defensive scout team freak of the year. My guess, since he's said that once he commits to something he does it 100%. I just have a hunch he's doing everything possible to learn.

I feel like I was in a political argument here, where you have to defend your stance so much that when you finally step back and analyze where you are, you're standing in a place you never intended to be and frankly don't even believe.

For clarification, couldn't be happier for this former Navy Seal to have the opportunity and I applaud coach Riley for giving him the chance. What I find intriguing is the walk-on program is definitely morphing to a more national scale for this staff. I am not selfish, and have no problem letting others try to help our storied program in a way many others have before. However, many of the things thrown out for reasons to take this kid are the exact reasons I see thrown out on every walk-on commitment thread. "Work ethic" and everything else that goes along with it. It is extremely difficult to never play the game then step in and try to figure out what is going on in front of you, but going and busting up someone on kickoff team may be this guys meal ticket. But again, I heard that about a ton of guys from Nebraska. I guess before this article came out I knew we were accepting fewer local walk-ons, but still had roughly the same numbers. I find it interesting that we don't have room for Nebraska all-state football players and have room for out of state Navy Seals that have not played football before. TO CLARIFY ONCE AGAIN, THIS IS ABSOLUTELY A GUY YOU TAKE ON YOUR TEAM.

Last edited:
I feel like I was in a political argument here, where you have to defend your stance so much that when you finally step back and analyze where you are, you're standing in a place you never intended to be and frankly don't even believe.

For clarification, couldn't be happier for this former Navy Seal to have the opportunity and I applaud coach Riley for giving him the chance. What I find intriguing is the walk-on program is definitely morphing to a more national scale for this staff. I am not selfish, and have no problem letting others try to help our storied program in a way many others have before. However, many of the things thrown out for reasons to take this kid are the exact reasons I see thrown out on every walk-on commitment thread. "Work ethic" and everything else that goes along with it. It is extremely difficult to never play the game then step in and try to figure out what is going on in front of you, but going and busting up someone on kickoff team may be this guys meal ticket. But again, I heard that about a ton of guys from Nebraska. I guess before this article came out I knew we were accepting fewer local walk-ons, but still had roughly the same numbers. I find it interesting that we don't have room for Nebraska all-state football players and have room for out of state Navy Seals that have not played football before. TO CLARIFY ONCE AGAIN, THIS IS ABSOLUTELY A GUY YOU TAKE ON YOUR TEAM.
For the record I understood what you were trying to say the whole time. I like your political analogy. As a moderate republican I find myself there a lot.

As to your statement about walk-ons it has always been more national than most want to admit. In the 70s there was a pair of brothers from DC who walked on. (Williams) We have pretty regularly gotten guys from MO, KS, SD to walk on. Not all of them worked out. Bo had a few from across the country. One was even another SEAL from SC if I recall. I am sure there are many others. these are the ones off the top of my head.

For the record I understood what you were trying to say the whole time. I like your political analogy. As a moderate republican I find myself there a lot.

As to your statement about walk-ons it has always been more national than most want to admit. In the 70s there was a pair of brothers from DC who walked on. (Williams) We have pretty regularly gotten guys from MO, KS, SD to walk on. Not all of them worked out. Bo had a few from across the country. One was even another SEAL from SC if I recall. I am sure there are many others. these are the ones off the top of my head.
Me too, I'm just going off of hope. No real facts just hope. Oh and the fact that he just looks mean...which gives me more hope.

Last edited:
***, I guess I'm a bit confused on this .... you mean to say that Riley has told some all state local kids that they cannot even try out for a walk on spot? I thought we held a practice where any student enrolled could try out or at least get tested for interest. Don't understand not getting a chance to fail. Has this changed or am I just dazed and confused (wouldn't be the first nor last time)?

I guess this is an example of just how friendly the Nebraska media is to the NU HC. If there are all-State players that can't even merit a tryout as a walk-on that is bizarre, unless the coaching staff had already seen them in multiple camps, etc. and knew they were not division 1 caliber and had informed them as much. I would think it would be a BIG story if a kid complained about such treatment, and I think the media would ask the HC about such a situation...but, I never hear a peep about this stuff except on this board. Odd.

Last edited:
***, I guess I'm a bit confused on this .... you mean to say that Riley has told some all state local kids that they cannot even try out for a walk on spot? I thought we held a practice where any student enrolled could try out or at least get tested for interest. Don't understand not getting a chance to fail. Has this changed or am I just dazed and confused (wouldn't be the first nor last time)?

Osborne never would have required an all state player from Nebraska to try out to walk on. Guaranteed Osborne would have known all about the player's pluses and minuses before the end of the walk-on's senior season.

Frankly there are lots of reason why Nebraska walk ons are great. Work ethic, passion for Nebraska football, etc. etc. But one thing Osborne knew was that it is a numbers game. Rankings do matter. If you have 4 five star players maybe 1 doesn't ever significantly contribute. Take 10 four star players maybe only 5 make it. Less for 3 stars. Less for 2 stars. And less for walk ons. But if you take 30 walk ons maybe 1 becomes great. And if you have everything else in place that 1 great walk on may be the difference between winning championships and second place. I do think it helped that back in the 80's Nebraska had a freshman team and you could tell that first year which walk ons had the goods fairly early on. Most walk ons left the program after the first year or two.

Plus everyone in Nebraska wants to cheer for local grown greats. Although lately I have to admit that I read a lot of negativity on here about Nebraska kids who start--and suggestions that they shouldn't be starting and their starting role is an example of recruiting failures. I miss the days where it was a huge honor for Nebraska kids to step on the field and contribute and fans relishing their performances, even if they performances weren't all american caliber.

Osborne never would have required an all state player from Nebraska to try out to walk on. Guaranteed Osborne would have known all about the player's pluses and minuses before the end of the walk-on's senior season.

Frankly there are lots of reason why Nebraska walk ons are great. Work ethic, passion for Nebraska football, etc. etc. But one thing Osborne knew was that it is a numbers game. Rankings do matter. If you have 4 five star players maybe 1 doesn't ever significantly contribute. Take 10 four star players maybe only 5 make it. Less for 3 stars. Less for 2 stars. And less for walk ons. But if you take 30 walk ons maybe 1 becomes great. And if you have everything else in place that 1 great walk on may be the difference between winning championships and second place. I do think it helped that back in the 80's Nebraska had a freshman team and you could tell that first year which walk ons had the goods fairly early on. Most walk ons left the program after the first year or two.

Plus everyone in Nebraska wants to cheer for local grown greats. Although lately I have to admit that I read a lot of negativity on here about Nebraska kids who start--and suggestions that they shouldn't be starting and their starting role is an example of recruiting failures. I miss the days where it was a huge honor for Nebraska kids to step on the field and contribute and fans relishing their performances, even if they performances weren't all american caliber.

Bull

Indominatable spirit and the will to overcome any obstacle, tough as nails attitude and, above all else, teamwork are the hallmarks of SEALs and the Teams. I dont see how having this young man on the roster could be anything but positive. Here's to hoping he finds success on the field and that he serves as an example to other young men on the team.

Oh, and it's SEAL(s).

Last edited:
Again, i'm not mad that this guy is getting an opportunity. It just seems strange to me that he got the opportunity and an athlete of the year finalist there was no room for so he's just going to school down in Lincoln. Or an All-State lineman with FCS offers. Both going to school down in Lincoln but were told there's no room. This guy getting the opportunity is great and I applaud the coaches.

Jackson was also initially told there was no room.

Perhaps if the kid(s) you are referring to would have been as motivated and driven as Jackson to get themselves a shot, they'd be on the team too.

I respect a kid that finds his own way rather than waiting for it to be offered to him and that's the kid I want on my team.

Last edited:

Jackson was also initially told there was no room.

Perhaps if the kid(s) you are referring to would have been as motivated and driven as Jackson to get themselves a shot, they'd be on the team too.

I respect a kid that finds his own way rather than waiting for it to be offered to him and that's the kid I want on my team.
If motivation and drive is what got him on the team, I am all for it. If its backstory and public relations opportunities, then its political. I am not saying its one or the other. I wish the best for all of the walkons equally.

He's got the tough as nails part down. Now we will see how quickly he learns football fundamentals. After dealing with life and death situations, this has to feel as low pressure as it gets.

Give him a mission on special teams and let him execute.

I see what you did there!:p

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back