• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

For Beth Mowin fans

I don't know why people hate Mowins. I think there's some subconscious sexist thing happening.

She's not my favorite, but she is far from the worst.

There are definitely worse, but she's sub-par IMO. Not because she's a woman, she's just not that good. If we want to just focus on women broadcasters, Jessica Mendoza in baseball is absolutely top shelf.

Matt Millen?

As bad as he is an announcer, it's 1000x better than Millen the Lions GM. The 2005 "Millen Man March" when Detroit played Cincinnati was surreal. Nearly 3/4 of the Lions fans at Ford Field wore Bengals orange, booed the home team, gave the Bengals a standing ovation as they took the field and cheered for them throughout the game. It was so embarrassing that CBS apparently didn't show one shot of the crowd. The loud speakers tried to blast music constantly to drown out the "Fire Millen" chants that started at every stoppage. Craziest game I've ever been to.

I don't know why people hate Mowins. I think there's some subconscious sexist thing happening.

come on man, its not a sexist thing, its totally performance and she is absolutely among the worst if not the worst. I never watch a game with her broadcasting unless I turn off the sound.

I don't think she's worse than any C list announcer of the minor Div 1 games, but she's definitely worse than any NFL announcer I've heard. (Though admittedly I don't watch a lot of their games.) She has extremely poor vocal quality, regardless of sex. I think we could probably go lift any of dozens of female local TV newscasters who sound much better and are extemporaneously more interesting.

The same would be true of men, by the way. Doing the play by play at the level of any of these non-headline guys is not that that hard. Give me 10 random candidates off this board and the opportunity to practice and be coached for a week and I'd find a couple of you who could do as well as these guys.

The hardest thing to learn is also the most important: when to shut up. ;)

Last edited:

I think this is likely the case. I definitely don't think Mowin's is great, but she's better than some of the FS and C-list announcers I've heard call games.

She's pretty near the bottom of broadcast commentators. Her voice, her monotone droning is enough to make one want to watch a D league basketball game. Musberger, and few others mentioned here, all pretty much suck, but trying to listen to Beth call a football game, absolutely sucks!

As bad as he is an announcer, it's 1000x better than Millen the Lions GM. The 2005 "Millen Man March" when Detroit played Cincinnati was surreal. Nearly 3/4 of the Lions fans at Ford Field wore Bengals orange, booed the home team, gave the Bengals a standing ovation as they took the field and cheered for them throughout the game. It was so embarrassing that CBS apparently didn't show one shot of the crowd. The loud speakers tried to blast music constantly to drown out the "Fire Millen" chants that started at every stoppage. Craziest game I've ever been to.
:Clap:

I have never had a problem with Beth Mowen or Pam Ward for that matter when it comes to announcing a football game. There are really not very many good announcers IMO anyway. There are no Keith Jacksons and Chris Shenkles left. The last of the really good ones Vern Lundquist just retired. Kevin Kuglar will not be long for the B1G network. I think he is alright and is getting better. Joe Tessatore is Ok, Sean McDunaugh is Ok. No one really stands out in my mind though.

I really don't pay that much attention to who is commenting on a FB game. That is the beauty of TV I can turn down the sound and just watch it and not listen to what they are saying.

I have never had a problem with Beth Mowen or Pam Ward for that matter when it comes to announcing a football game. There are really not very many good announcers IMO anyway. There are no Keith Jacksons and Chris Shenkles left. The last of the really good ones Vern Lundquist just retired. Kevin Kuglar will not be long for the B1G network. I think he is alright and is getting better. Joe Tessatore is Ok, Sean McDunaugh is Ok. No one really stands out in my mind though.

I really don't pay that much attention to who is commenting on a FB game. That is the beauty of TV I can turn down the sound and just watch it and not listen to what they are saying.
I agree with Kugs. I am surprised someone has not snapped him up already.

Good for her. She's still better than Cunningham

Lol, I do not think that I have ever witnessed an announcer oogle over a college football (or any other level) players' girlfriend as much as he did in the National Championship game a few years ago. Definitely borderline akward/ perv!:Drool:

Lol, I do not think that I have ever witnessed an announcer oogle over a college football (or any other level) players' girlfriend as much as he did in the National Championship game a few years ago. Definitely borderline akward/ perv!:Drool:
Cunningham is not play by play, he is color announcer

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back