• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Football vs basketball!

The right guy, but who is it? I really doubt Altman is coming to Lincoln, unless he wants to get back to the state and end his career here. Hoiberg or Lue if they come will only be here short term if they are successful. They will bolt at the first opportunity that is better. Frankly I have a hard time seeing any coach that has had some real big time success wanting to build something at Nebraska long term. Which leaves you with the top assistant/up and coming mid major guy.
A couple of scenarios to think about.

First, with Altman, yes, he’d probably make it his last stop, but he could have at least 5 solid years to build, and hire a solid heir apparent as an assistant to create continuity.

Second, the Lue/Hoiberg possibility. I think Lue is a few notches below The Mayor, so let’s think of Fred first. Fred could make us Wiscy or Iowa. We wouldn’t be Kentucky or Duke, but that’s not what I’m even dreaming of. If he made us the Wiscy/Iowa level, where is he going? The pros? He’s been there, and apparently is interested at getting back into college basketball. Another school? Maybe, but again who? Who would be looking for a Fred Hoiberg style of play, that has a profile impressive enough to snatch any coach they want?

I don’t want our coaching hires to be made from a defensive posture, I want them made based on fit, expertise and culture. If Hoiberg or Altman came in, built some solid foundations and won, they just proved you can win at Nebraska. That in itself makes our coaching searches better going forward.

First, with Altman, yes, he’d probably make it his last stop, but he could have at least 5 solid years to build, and hire a solid heir apparent as an assistant to create continuity.

Second, the Lue/Hoiberg possibility. I think Lue is a few notches below The Mayor, so let’s think of Fred first. Fred could make us Wiscy or Iowa. We wouldn’t be Kentucky or Duke, but that’s not what I’m even dreaming of. If he made us the Wiscy/Iowa level, where is he going? The pros? He’s been there, and apparently is interested at getting back into college basketball. Another school? Maybe, but again who? Who would be looking for a Fred Hoiberg style of play, that has a profile impressive enough to snatch any coach they want?

I don’t want our coaching hires to be made from a defensive posture, I want them made based on fit, expertise and culture. If Hoiberg or Altman came in, built some solid foundations and won, they just proved you can win at Nebraska. That in itself makes our coaching searches better going forward.
Makes sense. I think Musselman might be a great hire as well for the same reasons.

This is what I can't figure out. Going back to Nee, we couldn't play a lick of defense, then Collier, Sadler, and Miles we can't run offense to save our souls. There has to be a coach that can feature both offense and defense. And have a team that is solid fundamentally. Now we don't pass well, catch well, finish at the rim etc. Just doesn't seem to much to ask

This is what I can't figure out. Going back to Nee, we couldn't play a lick of defense, then Collier, Sadler, and Miles we can't run offense to save our souls. There has to be a coach that can feature both offense and defense. And have a team that is solid fundamentally. Now we don't pass well, catch well, finish at the rim etc. Just doesn't seem to much to ask

We all want to see hoops be successful. But is the administration ready to make that big time commitment to the basketball program? They built the practice facility out of necessity and the city of Lincoln built the arena. But are they ready to go for a big fish to coach this team. I am not convinced
I want to bang my head against a wall every time I read "gotta go for the big fish"....whether it's football, basketball, etc.

NU is not in a position to snag a big fish whether it be football or basketball no matter how much money they want to spend. In football they were lucky that Frost was a former husker. Otherwise there's NO WAY he comes here. Coaches don't have price tags and you don't just walk to the "big fish" section and grab one and take it to the register.

NU is going to have to hire someone that BECOMES a big fish. Now you certainly aim higher than a guy who never finished better than 4th in a mid-major (Miles). But you're not going to lure a successful coach from a P5 program for any reasonable amount of money. If that is anyone's expectation they are going to be sorely disappointed.

It's frustrating watching Michigan, MSU, tOSU, Wisconsin.... all seem to be decent at both, why can't we be?

but yes, if we can only excel at one sport - Football by far

Don't be surprised if Lue isn't the Lakers coach next year. Lebron is running Walton out and lot's of whispers that he wants his buddy back with the Lakers.
That wasn’t a buddy, that was a doormat. But you’re probably correct in his being the Laker coach.

It's frustrating watching Michigan, MSU, tOSU, Wisconsin.... all seem to be decent at both, why can't we be?

but yes, if we can only excel at one sport - Football by far
If its one sport, volleyball already called dibs.

What about him is exciting for you?
Under Miles, when they seemed to be fitting players into slots instead of making slots for players. I think the offense got a lot better with Michael Lewis, but I like the way the games went better with Smith (management wise, and probably roster wise). He seems to have done quite well for himself as a head coach, but he's what everyone seems to want to get away from now - an up and coming mid-major coach.

I think it's probably all an illusion. We have to hire an old Big 8 coach - Leonard Hamilton, Roy Williams, Lon Kruger, or ... Norm Stewart??? There has to be someone who can succeed at Nebraska. There just hasn't been for most school's definition of success.

Under Miles, when they seemed to be fitting players into slots instead of making slots for players. I think the offense got a lot better with Michael Lewis, but I like the way the games went better with Smith (management wise, and probably roster wise). He seems to have done quite well for himself as a head coach, but he's what everyone seems to want to get away from now - an up and coming mid-major coach.

I think it's probably all an illusion. We have to hire an old Big 8 coach - Leonard Hamilton, Roy Williams, Lon Kruger, or ... Norm Stewart??? There has to be someone who can succeed at Nebraska. There just hasn't been for most school's definition of success.
He’s had one decent year, and spent his entire career at the knee of Tim Miles. I’m not buying yet.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back