• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Football Scoop: John Papuchis will be named defensive coordinator.

Status
Not open for further replies.
In other words, you're confirming that NU has fallen off the map. From a traditionalist standpoint no coach at NU should ever consider a lateral move to Florida a 'step up', but in the current (and most likely future) scheme of things that's probably the case...sad. :eek:

Poll 100 football fans who aren't stuck in the 90's and ask them whether NU or Florida is more relevant, or whether the Big10 or SEC is more relevant. It may be sad, but it's reality. Anybody wishing that perception to swing back toward our favor should be thankful we still have our best recruiter and should desire the most staff stability possible up to and including the current head coach.

I think it's safe to say that the discussion went farther than "hey are you interested?" and ended short of "We are officially offering you a position, you aren't going to turn it down, are you?". I don't know if there are more details out there or not, that's as far as I remember at this point, or care to research.

I was curious, in part because of the distinction that a certain poster constantly makes in regards to Saban offering the OC position to Watson.

Thanks! :gobigred:

I don't think it's a relevant distinction. "Official" offers are usually the last step before the contract is signed. Unofficial offers are also nebulous. This much is true-the discussion was significant enough for JP to get a raise and the RC position last year to prevent him from making a "lateral" move. It may not have been truly lateral if he was going to be full DL coach. He wasn't the only DL coach last year at this time, as Carl was more involved.

I think it's safe to say that the discussion went farther than "hey are you interested?" and ended short of "We are officially offering you a position, you aren't going to turn it down, are you?". I don't know if there are more details out there or not, that's as far as I remember at this point, or care to research.

You need to file this one away for all those folks that think Bo hasn't talked to other schools and get all wrapped up around the word "official"

This is the part that baffles me about the "why doesn't he announce it crowd". Bo has shown a history of waiting till all parts are in place before saying anything, and then barely mentioning it. This is Bo get used to it.

Bo should get a part time job selling bridges....he'd make a fortune around here

Carl is OFFICIALLY GONE...toook a while for the others to find jobs....so the delay last year was the wait for Wats to get employed so that it didn't look like he was getting fired.....

so what I know about the processis is: that it's broke

So the news that we are targeting an Iowa DL coach doesn't immediately trigger a thought in your head that he might be going after guys that are currently employed, and thus do not want it public that they are under consideration. That's just one candidate. He could be going after somebody on LSU's staff for all we know, and we won't know anything until mid-January. Not to mention that he's been in 15 different states in the last two weeks trying to bring in the top recruits everyone is also complaining about. Would you rather he ignored recruiting during the one contact period he has to rush a coaching hire so you feel better?

Short attention span theater continues...I hope he takes all the time he needs and does it right. I don't feel the need as a fan to know right away...not sure why others think it's so damned important to have everything accelerated to light speed. It's been just over 2 weeks. How many 6 figure jobs are filled within two weeks anywhere?

You need to file this one away for all those folks that think Bo hasn't talked to other schools and get all wrapped up around the word "official"

Third-party backchannel discussions are what it's all about. Everyone denies contact or discussions, and no one is lying. This representative contacts that agent and says someone might be interested in hiring someone for about $2.5M a year and somebody else says I think he might be more interested in talking to you about an opening if it was $3M, etc.. That's an art in itself, as we've found out.

From what I hear of the Miami situation, it was Bo's job if he wanted it. He didn't want it. End of story. As far as this Penn State thingy, that was out of the blue. I bet he was on their list and that's as far as it went, I'm guessing.

So the news that we are targeting an Iowa DL coach doesn't immediately trigger a thought in your head that he might be going after guys that are currently employed, and thus do not want it public that they are under consideration. That's just one candidate. He could be going after somebody on LSU's staff for all we know, and we won't know anything until mid-January. Not to mention that he's been in 15 different states in the last two weeks trying to bring in the top recruits everyone is also complaining about. Would you rather he ignored recruiting during the one contact period he has to rush a coaching hire so you feel better?

Short attention span theater continues...I hope he takes all the time he needs and does it right. I don't feel the need as a fan to know right away...not sure why others think it's so damned important to have everything accelerated to light speed. It's been just over 2 weeks. How many 6 figure jobs are filled within two weeks anywhere?

HA!!!! I started the thread about scoring an LSU coach....so I know he doesn't have all the pieces...but why not give Paps the job now?? BTW two 6 figure jobs were filled in my office in less than two weeks.....it's pretty easy when ya got a plan and are promoting internally.

Poll 100 football fans who aren't stuck in the 90's and ask them whether NU or Florida is more relevant, or whether the Big10 or SEC is more relevant. It may be sad, but it's reality. Anybody wishing that perception to swing back toward our favor should be thankful we still have our best recruiter and should desire the most staff stability possible up to and including the current head coach.

I acknowledged that it's reality in my post. I lived in Florida during the '80's and even bought a Gator sweatshirt out of sympathy for them. If you had told me then that in 2011 NU would be staring up the totem pole at them I would have A) Laughed in your face; B) Punched you in the face; or C) Jumped off the Buckman Bridge next to NAS Jacksonville where I was stationed at the time.

We all hope that our current head coach and recruiting coordinator can lead NU back to the promised land, but personally have to admit that I'm dialing down the expectation meter considerably. Fortunately I've reached an age where it doesn't affect me emotionally or ruin my whole weekend if they lose.

Third-party backchannel discussions are what it's all about. Everyone denies contact or discussions, and no one is lying. This representative contacts that agent and says someone might be interested in hiring someone for about $2.5M a year and somebody else says I think he might be more interested in talking to you about an opening if it was $3M, etc.. That's an art in itself, as we've found out.

From what I hear of the Miami situation, it was Bo's job if he wanted it. He didn't want it. End of story. As far as this Penn State thingy, that was out of the blue. I bet he was on their list and that's as far as it went, I'm guessing.

agreed....some folks are naive enough and just don't think the back channel stuff happens because they can't find a link

I acknowledged that it's reality in my post. I lived in Florida during the '80's and even bought a Gator sweatshirt out of sympathy for them. If you had told me then that in 2011 NU would be staring up the totem pole at them I would have A) Laughed in your face; B) Punched you in the face; or C) Jumped off the Buckman Bridge next to NAS Jacksonville where I was stationed at the time.

We all hope that our current head coach and recruiting coordinator can lead NU back to the promised land, but personally have to admit that I'm dialing down the expectation meter considerably. Fortunately I've reached an age where it doesn't affect me emotionally or ruin my whole weekend if they lose.

You bought a Gator sweatshirt....have you no dignity? I was stationed in Michigan for 3 years and didn't buy any Wolvy or Sparty crap

You bought a Gator sweatshirt....have you no dignity? I was stationed in Michigan for 3 years and didn't buy any Wolvy or Sparty crap

:Biggrin: Once again, it was mainly out of sympathy for a then struggling program trying to find an identity. I was also at an age where 'fitting in' meant something. These days I'd probably throw it in a swamp and semi-hope that a real Gator didn't choke to death on it!

I'd like to get more opinions from Iowa fans on the coach, but I don't like how few tackles for losses Iowa's DL gets. I want more aggression out of our DL (I know it's not really Bo's philosophy).

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back