• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Football Scoop: John Papuchis will be named defensive coordinator.

Status
Not open for further replies.
<<<<<<NOT BUD!
Not even close, BUD!

(it was pretty bad, though)

I think the Iowa guy would be a great steal. Since the Iowa DC is leaving, he may not want to stick on if he's not getting a promo. A co-DC or maybe RC or ST-coord role is enough of a promotion to get him to Lincoln.

People who are saying JP is a bad choice are just FLAT WRONG, IMO. JP is a hot commodity outside of Lincoln, no matter what any of you doubting fools say, and he is in line for a promo. If we don't promote him, he will get a DC position elsewhere...and probably sooner than later. We MUST keep JP on staff. He is our top recruiter. He is a good position coach/teacher from all accounts. He understand Bo's system better than anyone else currently on staff not named Bo Pelini.

I REALLY like the hire if we bring in an experienced, top-flight DL coach like the Iowa guy and Bo becomes the defacto DC again. That's the best of both worlds. Losing Carl as a DL coach is a bigger blow than most want to admit.

Not trying to be a Smart Alec, but, by who and why? I don't read any other boards, so is there something I'm missing?

<<<<<<not bud!
Not even close, BUD!

(it was pretty bad, though)

I think the Iowa guy would be a great steal. Since the Iowa DC is leaving, he may not want to stick on if he's not getting a promo. A co-DC or maybe RC or ST-coord role is enough of a promotion to get him to Lincoln.

People who are saying JP is a bad choice are just FLAT WRONG, IMO. JP is a hot commodity outside of Lincoln, no matter what any of you doubting fools say, and he is in line for a promo. If we don't promote him, he will get a DC position elsewhere...and probably sooner than later. We MUST keep JP on staff. He is our top recruiter. He is a good position coach/teacher from all accounts. He understand Bo's system better than anyone else currently on staff not named Bo Pelini.

I REALLY like the hire if we bring in an experienced, top-flight DL coach like the Iowa guy and Bo becomes the defacto DC again. That's the best of both worlds. Losing Carl as a DL coach is a bigger blow than most want to admit.

Wait a minute.. You claim JP is a hot commodity but yet you say you like hiring a top-flight DL coach and Bo as the defacto DC</not>. What the hell is that about? Either JP is good enough or he isn't.

and you call everyone else "doubting fools"?

Last edited by a moderator:
Wait a minute.. You claim JP is a hot commodity but yet you say you like hiring a top-flight DL coach and Bo as the defacto DC</NOT>. What the hell is that about? Either JP is good enough or he isn't.

and you call everyone else "doubting fools"?

1. He IS a hot commodity as an assistant and a star recruiter. Do we not remember Muschamp's lateral move offer to him?

2. I definitely support hiring an established DL coach to backfill his position and take over his RC and/or STC positions, as opposed to promoting Brendan Stai or someone else to take over the position without having any experience as a DL coach in the past. Everyone's crying about experience and "name" coaches...well, here's a guy with a proven track record even if he isn't a household name. Stai can cut his teeth in Boca if he gets that chance.

3. Everyone still believed Bo was the DC when Carl was the DC, so what's the problem with saying Bo is going to be the defacto DC while transitioning JP into the role? Better he becomes DC here with the mastermind running the show initially than a position coach at Florida or a DC at another BCS school.

4. There are doubting fools all over the interwebs saying it's a bad idea to promote JP, clamoring for us to dump $700K on a mercenary/band-aid. There is no one on staff that knows Bo's system better than JP. There is no-one on staff with the recruiting street cred that JP has, and this only increases his living room profile. There is no one on D staff Bo trusts more than JP. There is no DC out there that would run the same system as Bo, especially a "name" hire like Stoops, and the last thing we need is another scheme change. IMO, there is no better DC out there than Bo, and having HIM call the defense until JP is truly comfortable in that role is really the best option for NU football. The offense required more attention this year, the defense will require more next year. This all makes more sense than the alternatives to me.

1. He IS a hot commodity as an assistant and a star recruiter. Do we not remember Muschamp's lateral move offer to him?

2. I definitely support hiring an established DL coach to backfill his position and take over his RC and/or STC positions, as opposed to promoting Brendan Stai or someone else to take over the position without having any experience as a DL coach in the past. Everyone's crying about experience and "name" coaches...well, here's a guy with a proven track record even if he isn't a household name. Stai can cut his teeth in Boca if he gets that chance.

3. Everyone still believed Bo was the DC when Carl was the DC, so what's the problem with saying Bo is going to be the defacto DC while transitioning JP into the role? Better he becomes DC here with the mastermind running the show initially than a position coach at Florida or a DC at another BCS school.

4. There are doubting fools all over the interwebs saying it's a bad idea to promote JP, clamoring for us to dump $700K on a mercenary/band-aid. There is no one on staff that knows Bo's system better than JP. There is no-one on staff with the recruiting street cred that JP has, and this only increases his living room profile. There is no one on D staff Bo trusts more than JP. There is no DC out there that would run the same system as Bo, especially a "name" hire like Stoops, and the last thing we need is another scheme change. IMO, there is no better DC out there than Bo, and having HIM call the defense until JP is truly comfortable in that role is really the best option for NU football. The offense required more attention this year, the defense will require more next year. This all makes more sense than the alternatives to me.

1) I am not saying he isn't, just that you called him hot but yet don't want him to run things(yet)...
2) I think that would be a good idea as well... No, a very good idea.
3) The Carl and Bo situation was totally different, you know that.
4) You don't have to sell me.. I am ok with it. I just thought it was silly that you called him such a hot commodity but yet called for Bo to be the defacto DC. To me he is either good enough or he isn't. For me, if JP is worth keeping then he alone should have the title and he alone should be running the show from the start.

Last edited by a moderator:
1) I am not saying he isn't, just that you called him hot but yet don't want him to run things(yet)...
2) I think that would be a good idea as well... No, a very good idea.
3) The Carl and Bo situation was totally different, you know that.
4) You don't have to sell me.. I am ok with it. I just thought it was silly that you called him such a hot commodity but yet called for Bo to be the defacto DC. To me he is either good enough or he isn't. For me, if JP is worth keeping then he alone should have the title and he alone should be running the show from the start.

Carl had experience as a DC and was able to run the show, call the blitzes, etc.. He and Bo were mind-melded. While I have no doubt that JP can be in that same mode, he hasn't been a walk-around DC yet, and hasn't called games at this level. A large part of being a DC is doing the game-planning and prep for the games, while supervising and coordinating the position coaching efforts and installation leading toward that game plan. JP has experience as the STC. That is enough experience, especially being in Bo's system for what 7-8 years now, to hold the DC or co-DC title and do the bulk of the work required of a DC. I have no doubt in that. I just prefer that we have the master call the plays, much like he did the first couple of years, while JP gets comfortable with that role. No dig on JP, no dig on his ability or experience, nor is that a shortcoming in my opinion. I'd rather have a DC that understands the current system, understands how to gameplan that system, and understands how to implement that system, rather than upsetting the apple cart on a splashy 2-year hire that might not be such a good fit with what's currently in place.

Who knows, he might be ready to do that out of the gate, but like most, I think Bo is simply one of the best defensive minds in college football with a proven system already in place, and I don't think you leave that out of the equation when you are making this hire.

Carl had experience as a DC and was able to run the show, call the blitzes, etc.. He and Bo were mind-melded. While I have no doubt that JP can be in that same mode, he hasn't been a walk-around DC yet, and hasn't called games at this level. A large part of being a DC is doing the game-planning and prep for the games, while supervising and coordinating the position coaching efforts and installation leading toward that game plan. JP has experience as the STC. That is enough experience, especially being in Bo's system for what 7-8 years now, to hold the DC or co-DC title and do the bulk of the work required of a DC. I have no doubt in that. I just prefer that we have the master call the plays, much like he did the first couple of years, while JP gets comfortable with that role. No dig on JP, no dig on his ability or experience, nor is that a shortcoming in my opinion. I'd rather have a DC that understands the current system, understands how to gameplan that system, and understands how to implement that system, rather than upsetting the apple cart on a splashy 2-year hire that might not be such a good fit with what's currently in place.

Who knows, he might be ready to do that out of the gate, but like most, I think Bo is simply one of the best defensive minds in college football with a proven system already in place, and I don't think you leave that out of the equation when you are making this hire.

....so why hasn't Bo pulled the trigger

So, being offered a lateral move by a school with a second year head coach and who NU owned last time they played vaults you to "hot commodity" status? Wow, either I'm behind the times or NU has really fallen off the face of the college football map.

So, being offered a lateral move by a school with a second year head coach and who NU owned last time they played vaults you to "hot commodity" status? Wow, either I'm behind the times or NU has really fallen off the face of the college football map.

On-field results a decade and a half ago is somehow relevant to this discussion? Florida, as a program, has won a championship in the last 5 years. Easy pickin's for recruiting. More than NU can say.

On-field results a decade and a half ago is somehow relevant to this discussion? Florida, as a program, has won a championship in the last 5 years. Easy pickin's for recruiting. More than NU can say.

In other words, you're confirming that NU has fallen off the map. From a traditionalist standpoint no coach at NU should ever consider a lateral move to Florida a 'step up', but in the current (and most likely future) scheme of things that's probably the case...sad. :eek:

Last edited:

We knew in December that Watson and Gilmore were gone. When was Beck "officially" promoted to OC?

That should answer your question, unless you have learned nothing about the process.

Carl is OFFICIALLY GONE...toook a while for the others to find jobs....so the delay last year was the wait for Wats to get employed so that it didn't look like he was getting fired.....

so what I know about the processis is: that it's broke

Last edited:
Was Papuchis officially offered the job?

I don't think it's a relevant distinction. "Official" offers are usually the last step before the contract is signed. Unofficial offers are also nebulous. This much is true-the discussion was significant enough for JP to get a raise and the RC position last year to prevent him from making a "lateral" move. It may not have been truly lateral if he was going to be full DL coach. He wasn't the only DL coach last year at this time, as Carl was more involved.

I think it's safe to say that the discussion went farther than "hey are you interested?" and ended short of "We are officially offering you a position, you aren't going to turn it down, are you?". I don't know if there are more details out there or not, that's as far as I remember at this point, or care to research.

We knew in December that Watson and Gilmore were gone. When was Beck "officially" promoted to OC?

That should answer your question, unless you have learned nothing about the process.

This is the part that baffles me about the "why doesn't he announce it crowd". Bo has shown a history of waiting till all parts are in place before saying anything, and then barely mentioning it. This is Bo get used to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back