• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Fish Tacos

KingTM

All Big 10
5 Year Member
Made some Baja fish tacos a couple of weeks ago with the following:

Sliced cod filets into about 1" x 4" sections and dipped in beer batter (I used Heineken) and fried them in canola until golden brown. For the sides, I made guacamole and black beans and rice. For toppings, I made some pickled cabbage, chipotle sauce and salsa verde. All served on fresh corn tortillas. Man were those good, I mowed down about 6 or 7.

I'll upload pics later, if I can.

Last edited:

Have you made your own slaw for them before? I made some last time I made fish tacos, and it was really good. Now if I can only find that recipe.... :Biggrin: :Biggrin: :Biggrin: :Biggrin:

I'm of the opinion that fish tacos need a rocking good mango salsa on the cabbage. Like 4evr, I forgot my recipe....

Fellas, I love a good slaw so if you find your recipes, please post them up. I love slaw on a fish taco but didn't have time so I just did the quick pickling thing with cabbage. I did have some of my bro-in-law's chipotle slaw this weekend and it was incredibly good. I'll get the recipe from him and post it up.

I'm going off memory here and I'll get pretty close since I made them a ton last summer.

I went with whatever was cheaper: Cod, Mahi-Mahi, basically whatever flaky whitefish is available or even Tilapia. I prefer grilled fish with "pork butt" seasoning believe it or not. I prefer corn tortillas but in the end I don't care. I cover the fish with cabbage slices and cover that with the mango salsa sauce-like stuff.

1 mango
1 or 2 avacodos
1 diced/cubed tomato
Finely diced Red Onion about a 1/2 cup or so
about 2 TBSP cilantro
1 TBSP X-Virgin Olive oil
Some cane sugar, maybe 1/2 TBSP
Juice from a lime
Salt and pepper
Add some apple cider vinegar if you want it more tangy, add more sugar if you want it less tangy
I like some Jalapeno, my family does not.

If you want to go with a creamy mango sauce/salsa I'd go with the Pioneer Woman's recipe and combine it with the salsa:

• 1/2 cup Whole Milk
  • 1/2 cup Mayonnnaise
  • 1 teaspoon White Vinegar
  • 1 Tablespoon Sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon Salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, san-serif] Cayenne Peppe[/FONT]r

The salsa/sauce has to sit overnight for all ingredients to blend.

Hope I didn't miss anything.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back