• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

first series takeaways!

cchusker

Recruit
Finally baseball!
1. Having and keeping Luensmann, Curry, Eddins, Fisher, and Palkert healthy means that he Huskers WILL compete for the Big Ten title.....worries about Matt Waldron not starting a game were displaced by his 5 solid innings, Waldron is always around the plate and attacks hitters by getting ahead in the count. Add Gomes, Tillotson, Mike Waldren and Klenke and you have a solid staff. Perry and Schanaman add talent. Pitching, pitching, and more pitching!..... the five most important words in baseball at any level.

2. The freshman are good!..and they will play. 12 for 30 for the weekend. (.300) yes there were errors and strikeouts but that was to be expected. They compete.

3. Palensky is solid. Good at bats, puts the ball in play with runners in scoring position...19 plate appearances with only one strikeout.

4. Aggressive but smart baserunning, overall good defense (couple of botched catch and throw plays but first time outdoors)......Hitters had 37 strikeouts against a young inexperienced staff (expected first weekend?)

5. Did I mention Pitching!......only 8 BB issued in the series.....some HP and wild pitches but a great weekend on the mound!

Finally baseball!
1. Having and keeping Luensmann, Curry, Eddins, Fisher, and Palkert healthy means that he Huskers WILL compete for the Big Ten title.....worries about Matt Waldron not starting a game were displaced by his 5 solid innings, Waldron is always around the plate and attacks hitters by getting ahead in the count. Add Gomes, Tillotson, Mike Waldren and Klenke and you have a solid staff. Perry and Schanaman add talent. Pitching, pitching, and more pitching!..... the five most important words in baseball at any level.

2. The freshman are good!..and they will play. 12 for 30 for the weekend. (.300) yes there were errors and strikeouts but that was to be expected. They compete.

3. Palensky is solid. Good at bats, puts the ball in play with runners in scoring position...19 plate appearances with only one strikeout.

4. Aggressive but smart baserunning, overall good defense (couple of botched catch and throw plays but first time outdoors)......Hitters had 37 strikeouts against a young inexperienced staff (expected first weekend?)

5. Did I mention Pitching!......only 8 BB issued in the series.....some HP and wild pitches but a great weekend on the mound!
Great points:

1. Palensky appears to be MORE than solid. In the first game of yesterday's DH, he absolutely crushed the ball other than his unfortunate 9th inning AB. Really good pickup!

2. Noted the lack of BBs as well, though we plunked a few (as you note)! Seemed mentally tougher than recently, but depth (and competition) may be benefit here.

3. Speed is upgraded, for sure.

4. Bright sky yesterday was a detriment in Game 1 yesterday in late UCR runs. Ball to CF off bat looked catchable.

5. In real time at the park yesterday, I felt that we missed some opportunities, but NOT that we had left 15 on base!! Some untimely Ks but not like we were pathetic with runners in scoring position.

Very encouraged!

I like it! Ok, i'll do mine...

1) I'll go with what you said and what i've been promoting all offseason, our pitching staff is going to be extremely good. Luensmann came apart a bit, but showed flashes early (that will happen with first start in over a year). Connor Curry then came in and looked outstanding as well, and is a potential starter if we need him to be. Or could be that shut down long reliever for us. Nate Fisher showed he wanted a weekend starting spot, and Colby Gomes got himself out of some jams. All 4 of those guys mentioned didn't allow a single earned run. You also have Matt Waldron who came in and looked outstanding for 5 innings. Reece Eddins was our lone starter that struggled, but I will be curious to see how he bounces back. Hallmark, Perry, Klenke, and Schanaman all came in and did decent jobs in relief. Add that up and you have 9 pitchers that had solid first weekends for us.

2) Have a weekend Jaxon Hallmark! Hit .444 and drove in 10 runs. Hope to continue that production.

3) Freshmen infusion! Again, as I stated in the offseason, we had the 16th ranked recruiting class and were going to be reliant on some of these guys to get where we need to be. Palensky, Chick, and Schwellenbach were staples in the weekend for freshmen playing big roles, Colby Gomes also started at DH for us in the first game. I think Schwellenbach was starting to find his rhythm towards the end of the weekend, wait until he gets going!

4) Mojo! Be nice to get him in the lineup everyday, but as a DH hit .357

5) Joe Acker.... may be making a name for himself and having to play more. Started 2 games and played in 3, hitting .364

6) Juggling of Schwellenbach, Roskam, and Hellstrom. Hellstrom hittig .364 is making it so they probably need to keep his bat in the lineup, Roskam is our catcher we trust, and Schwellenbach needs to keep getting at bats to get comfortable with D1 pitching. But Schwellenbach can play 1B or 3B, Roskam C or 1B, and I think Hellstrom can C or DH. It gets a bit tricky when Hagge isn't able to be out in the field.

7) Altavilla bounced back well after having a rough first game. Good to see him sitting at .333 or so after the first weekend.

8) Surprise of the weekend? I had no clue who Blake Petersen was, and after starting one game and playing in two, he hit .500 and has the best slugging percentage on the team.

Really tough to tell anything after a weekend against an opponent like this. But what's nice is, the year we won conference (only 2 years ago), we started 3-6 with a series split (1-1) with Riverside. Good to get some wins under our belt. Things get dicey here the next 4 games as the defending national champion plays us for 4 games. I'm hoping we get out of next weekend with a 4-4 record. If we can figure out how to split with them i'll be ecstatic. 0-4 won't surprise me but i'd love to avoid that. I just hope one of the games doesn't snowball on us and lose 15-3 while using up a ton of pitchers.

OSU beat #28 Minn 13-1 yesterday. :wow:
Right. The team picked to win our conference in some publications. if we go 1-3 i'm going to be real happy. Excited to see what some of these younger kids who think they are pretty special can do. We also are still in "pitch limit" mode, so a guy if he's cruising may get taken out anyway.

upload_2019-2-19_10-17-31.png

I was really impressed with the new faces in the batting lineup. Time will tell if they can maintain it against better teams.

If we could go 6 -12 over the next couple weeks I think we'll have something to build off of.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back