• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Fatigue?

Husker_in_Illinois

Recruit
5 Year Member
With the Huskers' lack of depth, could fatigue be playing a part in the team's recent slide? It seems like both our last two losses have seen us either toe-to-toe or seemingly in control, only to lose momentum, and eventually the game, in the 2nd half.

Maybe the top 5 or 6 guys are just being worn out and it's showing up late in games.

I'm not any sort of expert. I'm just asking the question.

Believe me, I am no expert either. However, without a doubt, I think the lack of depth is a real problem with this team. Last night, Rutgers had 13-14 turnovers in the first half, and they finished with 15. Our defense, which takes effort, was pretty much non-existent in the second half. Instead of moving our feet on defense in the second half, we did a lot of reaching. Rutgers was in the bonus 5 minutes into the second half. And our offense the second half basically consisted of throwing up a 3 point shot from well behind the arc. Yes, I think our players are worn down, and it is definitely evident in the second half.

Last edited:
Teams that play us with an in your face defense seem to give us fits! When we don't shoot from outside well, teams just clog up the middle and don't allow us anything at the rim

Palmer (192nd) is the only Husker in the top 250 players nationally in minutes per game.
Do you have that link? I’d like to see who is ahead, by what amount of time, and what type of team they play for. There are only 40 minutes a game, so there can’t be much of a difference. When I glance at the last handful of games, Palmer has several with maybe a couple of minutes at most off the floor...or 1 minute a half. For a guy shooting as marginally as he has been, that makes little sense, unless you as a coach are concerned how he’ll react if sat when he’s slumping. I get a Petteway feel every time I think of this as a possibility.

Last edited:
Palmer (192nd) is the only Husker in the top 250 players nationally in minutes per game.

If you look at total minutes played instead of minutes per game, Watson Jr. is in there too, but your point is well taken.

It seems like we did well against smaller schools that may have the same lack of depth we have, but now that we're into the B1G schedule, we're struggling. If our starters aren't being overplayed, I'm just wondering why we seem to fade in the 2nd half. Is the conditioning not up to par? Are we just not as good as we thought? Is it coaching? Does the team lack a killer instinct? Too many questions.

I understand we're never going to be a basketball power, but I really thought we had a chance this year to do a little damage. Again, I'm not an expert, but even I can tell something is off, especially late in games.

I don't know if this is the correct way to look at this. First, toss out the blowouts. Second, I'd go only the conference games and games decided by 10 points or less. Third, don't look at an individual player, but the starting five as a unit. Sure, Team A could have a player who's played 40 minutes per game, every game, #1 in the nation in time played. But their roster is 9 deep, with 8 other players averaging bw 15-20 minutes per game.

Sharp and Benning broke some of this down the other day. Nebraska basically has 5 1/2 players. In some tight games, they have 5.

You are kidding yourself if you don't think this isn't going to take a toll down the stretch in conference play, if it isn't already. Benning noted they looked "tired" in both the Penn St and Rutgers games.

Now, this isn't to say that they won't rise up and beat some notable opponents, but day in and day out, the Rutgers games will become more frequent then a team that balances playing time.

It will be almost impossible for this team not to take a significant step down next season.
THat's a given. I would expect Roby to go too. I saw on a game last weekend espn has him # 34 on their draft board at this point. For potential. With all the others leaving, if he was projected as a 2nd round pick, go! Couldn't blame him a bit. Though I really don't want to see another coaching change, this is probably the year to do it.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back