• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Fan Reset - Sipple's column today

Volleyball is a dumb analogy. Nebraska has a great VB fanbase because VB has been great. If volleyball tanked there would be some howling for a while but eventually people would move on. Nobody really lives and dies volleyball. They don't have watch parties for games against UAB. They don't plan weddings around the schedule. Etc.

Same thing with baseball. NOBODY gave a rat's ass back in the Saunders era. When i was at UNL not a soul cared. They get good....boom...everyone is a baseball "fan". Slowly baseball is slipping away...as will the "fanbase".

Football is a completely different story. Totally.

Volleyball is a dumb analogy. Nebraska has a great VB fanbase because VB has been great. If volleyball tanked there would be some howling for a while but eventually people would move on. Nobody really lives and dies volleyball. They don't have watch parties for games against UAB. They don't plan weddings around the schedule. Etc.

Same thing with baseball. NOBODY gave a rat's ass back in the Saunders era. When i was at UNL not a soul cared. They get good....boom...everyone is a baseball "fan". Slowly baseball is slipping away...as will the "fanbase".

Football is a completely different story. Totally.

You nailed it. While I and I think most really enjoy the volleyball program i rarely watch their matches unless it is a big game or for the national title. Football on the other hand i wouldn't miss a game for anything come hell or high water. Swearing at the T.V. is part of the game.

I also didn't know we still had a baseball team. LOL

Last edited:
I didn’t care for the article. Not trying to bash or completely disagree with the writer.

I think writers and media do this sort of thing a lot. They use a minority of a fan base (political party) and present there actions and opinions as the majority. In my opinion it’s silly to ask a “fan base” to reset. The fan base runs the spectrum and I believe are varied in reasons for doing what they may or may not do.
Nobody wants to put this narrative out there, but it’s true even for Husker football. That is that it’s entertainment let me repeat ENTERTAINMENT! Nobody tells us which character to root for on our favorite tv show. Or to dress up like one of them and go to comic-con. However if someone wrote an article telling you how to be a fan of that show it would be laughable.

I wasn't old enough to go to games when Devaney came to Nebraska and the streak started, but I have been a fan since 1971. There have been and always will be good fans and bad fans. The difference now is not the fans, it's the vehicles the fans have to express their displeasure and how much bad behavior is accepted as the norm on those public forums these days. I've said this before and I'll say it again, I won't post anything on this board I won't say to another man's face. That's not meant as a challenge, but as a sign of adulthood. 'How can I express my opinion without being condescending or an out and out ass about it?' is always part of my thought process even when the individual I'm communicating with needs a little push back.

Hopefully most of this goes away soon. Win and you'll still have some people who aren't satisfied or want something more or different, but it's a whole lot easier to handle.

And I agree VB is a poor analogy. It does not engender the passion that FB does. Not as positive, nor as negative.

The one time I got very passionate about VB, was the National Championship in Omaha vs. Texass, and that had everything to do with the opponent, not the sport.

I'd go to the ends of the earth of watch NU play UT in a championship match in tiddlywinks, if I got the chance to lick the sweet sweet tears from UT fan's faces as they cried a river over their loss.

But I'm completely over UT, now. :rolleyes:

I wasn't old enough to go to games when Devaney came to Nebraska and the streak started, but I have been a fan since 1971. There have been and always will be good fans and bad fans. The difference now is not the fans, it's the vehicles the fans have to express their displeasure and how much bad behavior is accepted as the norm on those public forums these days. I've said this before and I'll say it again, I won't post anything on this board I won't say to another man's face. That's not meant as a challenge, but as a sign of adulthood. 'How can I express my opinion without being condescending or an out and out ass about it?' is always part of my thought process even when the individual I'm communicating with needs a little push back.

Hopefully most of this goes away soon. Win and you'll still have some people who aren't satisfied or want something more or different, but it's a whole lot easier to handle.

Yup. Lunatic fringe - and now with so many modes of self expression, it can make one or two sound like a thousand.

We could go undefeated and win an NC this year, and there would be a few who didn't like the way we did it (we tackle too hard, or the players jump around too much, or too many players with long hair, or ....).

Last edited:

Yup. Lunatic fringe - and now with so many modes of self expression, it can make one or two sound like a thousand.

We could go undefeated and win an NC this year, and there would be a few who didn't like the way we did it (we tackle too hard, or the players jump around too much, or too many players with long hair, or ....).

I hope we're complaining about the 1% in February of 2019. That would be awesome.

The “Greatest Fans in College Football” thing is so over played by the media, the fans and the University. Are we the best fans in football? IMO, yes. Do we need to be constantly reminded of it? IMO, no. I always felt that will it was silly and totally unnecessary when Pederson had it etched into the building on the east side.

The “Greatest Fans in College Football” thing is so over played by the media, the fans and the University. Are we the best fans in football? IMO, yes. Do we need to be constantly reminded of it? IMO, no. I always felt that will it was silly and totally unnecessary when Pederson had it etched into the building on the east side.

I'd prefer they fill that in, or cover it. It feels like self-aggrandizement.

As Bob Costas said, that is not our thing:

Last edited:

Thank you. Calling ourselves “the greatest fans” is NOT and has never been a value of Nebraskans. Now, if outsiders want to carry on that label - because of our passion, because of our good sportsmanship, etc, so be it. I vote we fill that statement in and carve in names of hall of fame players - anything in place of that.

"John" is not a real fan, band wagon jumper at best.

Note that John the fan left the state in 1998 — a year after Tom Osborne's run of three national championships in four seasons — and returned in 2016. He paid scant attention to Husker sports while he was gone. But since he's been back, he's come to a conclusion: "We have lost our way as the greatest (football) fan base."

"John" can take another 18 year hiatus as far as I'm concerned and take his high and mighty pseudo "fandom" with him

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back