• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Facilities arms race in college football

husker6

Huskers Rising
10 Year Member
https://247sports.com/LongFormArtic...Clemson-Oklahoma-Texas-126107528/#126107528_1

OK, so it's only one guys opinion of who has the best football digs this year but this time it doesn't include the Huskers.

When North Carolina, Kentucky and South Carolina are judged to have better facilities (granted, by one guy) then it seems to be an issue.

So what do you think...

Should Nebraska be in this Top 20 pretty much every year?

I think so.

Inclusion of South Carolina is a joke. They did build an indoor practice facility similar to Nebraska's and have a new athletic 'Family' building, whatever that is, but the rest of their facilities are garbage. It could be the rankings are based on spend in the last year(s).

https://247sports.com/LongFormArtic...Clemson-Oklahoma-Texas-126107528/#126107528_1

OK, so it's only one guys opinion of who has the best football digs this year but this time it doesn't include the Huskers.

When North Carolina, Kentucky and South Carolina are judged to have better facilities (granted, by one guy) then it seems to be an issue.

So what do you think...

I think so.
North Carolina and Kentucky let the football players have their basketball digs for the football season

Last edited:

I guess if a school doesn't have the equivalent of a on campus Disney World resort style athletic facility you suck! This is now a never ending game of one upmanship which costs hundreds of millions. If a school doesn't want or can't spend mega millions to continously upgrade facilities they might as well resign themselves to second best!

I believe we need excellent athletic facilities but honestly believe this has gotten completely out of control.

I guess if a school doesn't have the equivalent of a on campus Disney World resort style athletic facility you suck! This is now a never ending game of one upmanship which costs hundreds of millions. If a school doesn't want or can't spend mega millions to continously upgrade facilities they might as well resign themselves to second best!

I believe we need excellent athletic facilities but honestly believe this has gotten completely out of control.

I agree, but I'm not sure what can be done. Legislate an upper level of opulence?

Programs will compete over wahtever areas are not regulated. Blow and hookers. The rest of the money is just wasted. ;)

I agree, but I'm not sure what can be done. Legislate an upper level of opulence?

Programs will compete over wahtever areas are not regulated. Blow and hookers. The rest of the money is just wasted. ;)
Yea probably nothing can be done. However the NCAA sure leveled the playing field by limiting things like # of scholarships, coaching staffs, myriad of recruiting rules.. etc etc etc? So if the NCAA really wanted to control/limit this facility arms race perhaps it could be done?

However imo it's more incumbent on the schools to stop squandering (billions) on these opulent facilities all in the name of what? Bigger is better, more opulence is better? Next will probably start seeing special high end living quarters only for college scholarship athletes?

I wonder where this facility spending spree eventually stops or at least levels off? Unfortunately there is so much money involved now with football and basketball programs nothing is to good! Just entice the kids with life styles of the rich and famous to sign up at your school. Some of these college places make NFL facilites look rather shabby.........

So what do you think...

I think so.
If we want to be in the top 20 for recruiting classes,we need to be in that top 20 too.It matters to recruits.No idea where it goes from here,but does seem to be getting out of hand.GBR.

About 4-6 weeks ago, around the time this article came out, I was listening to a podcast someone had linked on one of these threads. Can’t remember who it was, but the two hosts talked about facilities about 30 min in to the show. They talked about the problems with the meeting rooms, locker rooms, etc, and how they weren’t adequate for the roster number Frost wanted to get to. They also said they thought there would be an announcement, perhaps as early as this spring/summer, about a new fundraising campaign to start those upgrades.

https://www.omaha.com/huskers/footb...cle_b73af591-dba2-5039-92b8-dc49f9bdeaef.html

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back