• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Fab Five Pitch

FBsWithNoNecks

Recruit
5 Year Member
The Fab 5 at Michigan are still talked about to this day. I have always wondered why it's not pulled off or attempted in situations like Nebraska is currently in for 2019 recruiting cycle. A power trying to restore past glory, with a hot new staff and im guessing 22-26 scholarships to hand out. The pitch being, come here, be on the spotlight like the fab 5, do it together and if you can pull the restoration off, be a living legend. Offer the top 5 player at each position that best suits your scheme. Make it known that the "Fab Five" deal is what you are trying to pull off. Show them 30-30, etc. It seems to me that most kids love stuff like that. Maybe I am insane and I know I am oversimplifying. Yet, maybe im not. Sometimes the easiest approach is the most direct and overlooked.

The Fab 5 at Michigan are still talked about to this day. I have always wondered why it's not pulled off or attempted in situations like Nebraska is currently in for 2019 recruiting cycle. A power trying to restore past glory, with a hot new staff and im guessing 22-26 scholarships to hand out. The pitch being, come here, be on the spotlight like the fab 5, do it together and if you can pull the restoration off, be a living legend. Offer the top 5 player at each position that best suits your scheme. Make it known that the "Fab Five" deal is what you are trying to pull off. Show them 30-30, etc. It seems to me that most kids love stuff like that. Maybe I am insane and I know I am oversimplifying. Yet, maybe im not. Sometimes the easiest approach is the most direct and overlooked.
Several reasons this will not work.
1. there is not a 5 star at every position in any given year.
2. Even the best recruiting teams in history get a max of 5-6 5* in any given year.
3. Adding to above. Right now GA has just an incredible class and they have 6 5*
4. In some respect something like this has already been done. ND had the 4 horsemen, Nebraska had the triplets.
5. You also have to consider that not all the 5 stars in a year will fit your system. right now there are 3 QBs 4 OT 5 DE that would be a pretty crazy looking team of starters.

2. Even the best recruiting teams in history get a max of 5-6 5* in any given year.
3. Adding to above. Right now GA has just an incredible class and they have 6 5*
4. In some respect something like this has already been done. ND had the 4 horsemen, Nebraska had the triplets.
5. You also have to consider that not all the 5 stars in a year will fit your system. right now there are 3 QBs 4 OT 5 DE that would be a pretty crazy looking team of starters.
The biggest reason that you forgot to mention ... every 5-star athlete is from either California, Texas, Florida, Georgia or Ohio ... lots of options, choices and alternatives for the athlete ... why go rebuild at Nebraska when you can go to Alabama and win a NC or to Ohio State and perennially compete for a NC or go to your home state university that you've followed since childhood and become an immediate starter!

Last edited:

Nowhere in the OP did I see mention of 5* being a must....only a top 5 player. And it seems of your several reasons at least 3 are based on this assumption.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back