• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Expectations and next season

For me, Erstad needs to recruit better and keep the recruits he signs [somehow] to keep them from going Pro.

For 2018, four other B1G teams are out recruiting us according to this site:
https://www.perfectgame.org/Rankings/Recruiting/Rankings.aspx

Maryland #23
Michigan #40
OSU #41
Purdue #42
Indiana #43
NU #44

Much like football, we need the right coach to recruit and keep the top players and then coach/motivate them into performing better than they were when we recruited them. Not sure if that is happening now.

For me, Erstad needs to recruit better and keep the recruits he signs [somehow] to keep them from going Pro.

For 2018, four other B1G teams are out recruiting us according to this site:
https://www.perfectgame.org/Rankings/Recruiting/Rankings.aspx

Maryland #23
Michigan #40
OSU #41
Purdue #42
Indiana #43
NU #44

Much like football, we need the right coach to recruit and keep the top players and then coach/motivate them into performing better than they were when we recruited them. Not sure if that is happening now.
Don't let quantity fool you with those stats. Nebraska is the only team to not have a recruiting class of double digit amount of players. We are actually kicking everyone's tail in 2018 in regard to average ranking per signed player from those teams:

1 - Nebraska 5.77
2 - Maryland 4.87
3 - Michigan 4.55
4 - Ohio State 4.55
5 - Indiana 4.45
6 - Purdue 3.06

But in baseball, where your ranking is right now doesn't really matter. And your first sentence is the real issue. Erstad offered our best recruit before he played a single game of varsity baseball while he was playing JV at Millard West. The kid committed before even having a stat on varsity baseball. We are at risk of losing him to the draft, and he is the #1 player in the state. Erstad can't back fill and protect himself like the SEC, but if he doesn't have this kid on board, he's getting blown up for letting the kid sign elsewhere.

Our 2018 class is filthy and our staff did an unreal job, if we can get the kids here and avoid the draft.

Last edited:
Baseball is without a doubt the hardest NCAA sport to recruit
Without a doubt... can lose players when they are in your program and they can get drafted out of high school. As i've said before, Erstad and B1G teams basically have to project better than MLB scouts. Teams like Illinois purposely hold back some scholarship percentage to help them out with the draft since they can't over-recruit like the SEC or Big12.

We did an unbelievable job in the 2018 class with our local recruits. I'm a little confused what's going on with our 2019 class, even though we grabbed the best LHP in state yet again. But we are letting a couple other guys go that didn't have great junior campaigns. I will be interested to see how that class changes in the next 6 months. Silva was responsible for Iowa, and since Swanda flipped on us (I think we let him go due to MLB draft), we haven't received a single verbal from an Iowa kid. Heller has done a great job solidifying their borders and making in-roads with the Iowa Sticks (top junior program in Iowa). It's not a huge deal if we do the same in Nebraska, because we have beasts in our state. We did that in 2018, didn't in 2019, yet.

I was told Silva was gone. But looks like that was fake news. I couldn’t understand getting rid of Silva and keeping Kirby. Silva has been very good in ERA numbers the previous 3 years.

***, I absolutely respect and read most any topic you post on. I NEED to be able to blame this on somebody (end of year record and performance):mad:. My good friend, CrnHskrBob and I agree on mound (mis)management and right now, that's all I have. I am severely disappointed in this season (just like the '17 ...edit... and '18 for that matter...football performance) and will have to move on to next season with high hopes and wishes for a better year. I would also like to see the NCAA receive a cranial rectotomy (spelled correctly) and level each conference with the same rules!!! That said, rock on and GO BIG RED!!:Rockon: :Thecreedsign::Signrockon: Now, if we have similar results next year,:Broom:, to the assistants!!! :Koolaid2::Deadhorse: I used enough of those things to be as tongue in cheek as possible.

Last edited:
***, I absolutely respect and read most any topic you post on. I NEED to be able to blame this on somebody (end of year record and performance):mad:. My good friend, CrnHskrBob and I agree on mound (mis)management and right now, that's all I have. I am severely disappointed in this season (just like the '17 ...edit... and '18 for that matter...football performance) and will have to move on to next season with high hopes and wishes for a better year. I would also like to see the NCAA receive a cranial rectotomy (spelled correctly) and level each conference with the same rules!!! That said, rock on and GO BIG RED!!:Rockon: :Thecreedsign::Signrockon: Now, if we have similar results next year,:Broom:, to the assistants!!! :Koolaid2::Deadhorse: I used enough of those things to be as tongue in cheek as possible.

What 3 instances of mound mismanagement most support your position?

I understand. I guess my issue is, we are a top 20% ERA baseball team when we don't have five arm injuries in a year. My problem is, I don't mind people being mad at Silva for the injuries, but we had people mad we didn't bring in Hohensee for the fourth time in five games when we had a 10 run lead and he had pitched 3 of the prior 4 days. And they are getting mad about injuries at the same time.

We are going to have mound mis-management when you have limited or less options, and some of your options are true freshmen that shouldn't be playing yet.

I just don't see us having much talent -- especially with position players. Hard for me to imagine being significantly better next year and no coaching changes whatsoever doesn't give me any hope for the long term.

I personally would have been okay with ANY changes they made as long as there was a change. In my opinion Kirby absolutely had to go as I don't see him doing anything (he's not even a good 3rd base coach).

Have to say I'm greatly disappointed.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back