• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Eric Crouch Gives Thoughts on Frost's Offense/Steve Calhoun Has Insight on POB/Gebbia (Post 51)

Since he is out of eligibility, i guess it isn't really relevant how he compares to kids coming out of HS now. Especially since many have experience in a similar system which EC didn't or couldn't have.
None of this is relevant.

I find it amazing how someone so wrong, so often can complain about others not knowing something. Failing to accept the difference between the passes EC made vs the type of passing in the SF offense is simply an effort to continue an argument. Other than Mariotta, i don't think an OU QB got a sniff in the NFL and that wasn't because they weren't successful. Sure, EVERY coach wants the player who is the BEST at everything, but SF would have taken EC in a heartbeat and the offense would have thrived.
And I find it amazing how some can so easily let their fandom cloud rationality.

Walsh recruited Frost as an athlete. He promised to give him a shot at QB to get him out of Nebraska...it didn't work out because Frost wasn't a capable passer for the WCO. I'm guessing you were about 6 years old when this all went down, or you'd know it. Frost didn't head back to Nebraska because Walsh had him headed to an NFL roster at QB, he headed back because he wanted to play QB rather than DB. Silliness.
You can't change history, man. Walsh recruited him as a QB. He was one of the top rated QBs in the country. He didn't pan out as a QB in Walsh's offense, but you only know that through hindsight.

I mean, aside from the other people saying it. :Biggrin:
Not a whole lot of folks on this board. I have been called everything from foolish to stupid for thinking he has a chance. Even when i point out that his numbers his junior year were as good as anybody on campus.

Hilarious....so all the RPO and WR screen/bubble/tunnel/etc etc etc passes which are within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage in the SF offense aren't easier to complete than the down the field play-action that was the staple in the TO offense?? It is pretty simple....throw more short, high % passes and you end up with a higher completion percentage. Saying a player in another system, without the benefit of those high percentage passes would still have the same percentage in a different offense is completely missing the point. However, in the end, neither side can prove its argument.
Hilarious indeed. He wasn't that accurate a passer or someone would have given him a chance in the NFL. Now the difference in routes might help some but a 55 or 60% completion rate is still nothing like what Frost is looking for. Crouch was an amazing athlete but he wasn't near the passer that Frost would be looking for to run his kind of offense. If he was that accurate he would have completed many more of those downfield passes.

I beg to differ

The Mizzou play was cool for another reason. I used to have a still photo from that play as my Computer background. Where he was basically doing a mirror of the heisman. Heisman has the ball in the left hand stiff arm with the right. The Pic was stiff arm with the left ball in the right.

Do I need to dig up some of your old posts telling how awesome it was that Riley could win .500 at a place like OSU?

Solich is by FAR the best coach Ohio ever had.

That has nothing to do with the point of my post, thanks for throwing the MR scarlet letter my way again.

C

Actually looks like I remembered wrong. Because i think this was the image. But that is clearly not Mizzou.
images

Of course it did. Read it again.

No it doesn't, my support of MR and FS has no bearing on the fact that FS was and is not a great coach. That is what Redo has said so he is not wrong about Solich as you tried to point out. That quote about FS is not mine but from an article you actually liked. It would be cool if you could let go of peoples support for the previous coach and just take their posts at face value, I know you won't do that though.

C

Hilarious indeed. He wasn't that accurate a passer or someone would have given him a chance in the NFL. Now the difference in routes might help some but a 55 or 60% completion rate is still nothing like what Frost is looking for. Crouch was an amazing athlete but he wasn't near the passer that Frost would be looking for to run his kind of offense. If he was that accurate he would have completed many more of those downfield passes.
The bold is simply false. How many Mike Leach quarterbacks have had NFL success? In his last two seasons, Taylor Martinez completed over 62% of his passes and had 33 TDs to 14 INTs. Statistically, he should have gotten some NFL interest, don't you think?

The system ABSOLUTELY factors into a player's statistics. Just because someone wasn't asked to do something doesn't mean they wouldn't be capable. If you are someone that believes that Patrick O'Brien (with his 4.7-4.8 40 time) can be an effective runner in Frost's offense, why is it so hard to believe that a faster player couldn't be an effective passer in Frost's offense?

If 2-star recruit McKenzie Milton can light it up, certainly someone like Eric Crouch could have done pretty well.

The bold is simply false. How many Mike Leach quarterbacks have had NFL success? In his last two seasons, Taylor Martinez completed over 62% of his passes and had 33 TDs to 14 INTs. Statistically, he should have gotten some NFL interest, don't you think?

The system ABSOLUTELY factors into a player's statistics. Just because someone wasn't asked to do something doesn't mean they wouldn't be capable. If you are someone that believes that Patrick O'Brien (with his 4.7-4.8 40 time) can be an effective runner in Frost's offense, why is it so hard to believe that a faster player couldn't be an effective passer in Frost's offense?

If 2-star recruit McKenzie Milton can light it up, certainly someone like Eric Crouch could have done pretty well.
If a Mike Leach QB or TMart wouldn't get NFL looks neither would a career 51% passer with a 29 to 25 TD to INT ratio.

If a Mike Leach QB or TMart wouldn't get NFL looks neither would a career 51% passer with a 29 to 25 TD to INT ratio.
I think you're missing the point a little bit. I don't really care about NFL potential... you're the one that brought it up. I was just pointing out that there have been a number of successful, accurate quarterbacks that don't play in the NFL, and that plenty of players have their accuracy numbers artificially inflated based on the system.

A player completing 70% in one system isn't necessarily better than another guy completing 55% in a different system, because they're often being asked to do different things.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back