• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Eric Crouch Gives Thoughts on Frost's Offense/Steve Calhoun Has Insight on POB/Gebbia (Post 51)

Same for Crouch and for the HS version of Frost, HCSF would have recruited both heavily since they were Nebraska kids...but likely not as QB's, since neither could throw very well. Also, Someone posted something about lots of the passes in SF's offense are high percentage screens and short passes, LOL, we haven't had many QB's that were adept at these passes, which require a lot more touch on the ball...Crouch/Frost weren't among those that were adept at it.
LOL! Bill Walsh recruited Frost as a WCO QB, but today Frost wouldn't take a clone of himself in his own offense because he's a bad passer:Rolf::Rolf::Rolf:?

Do I need to dig up some of your old posts telling how awesome it was that Riley could win .500 at a place like OSU?

Solich is by FAR the best coach Ohio ever had.
And Riley was by far the best coach OSU had. What is your point?

Most of the plays of Crouch that are highlights are when he is running. There's a reason for that.

On the present day issue, Spring practices will give the only people whose opinion counts an opportunity for first views of the abilities of all of the individuals in the QB room. Remember, Mayfield was a walk on QB at OU. Until bullets fly, no one knows who excels. Since we are all guessing, I would only guess it would not be Martinez since he missed his senior year with an injury. I doubt SF would take the risk of starting him this Fall thinking only of the young man's career and potential when he will have alternative choices at least as good for this coming season. Next year, who knows.

If forced to choose among the others, I would leave the room since I don't have a clue. There is no past NU game films that fits what they will be involved with, I have watched only one or two UCF games so I don't really know what is necessary in his QB, and there is nothing from last year at NU that provides any guidance about who in the room can do it.

I envy those of you who have the ability to see the answer so clearly.

The bolded is a poor argument. Crouch wasn't a career 51.5% passer because "he wasn't asked to be". Crouch would not have played QB in the Frost O.

Hilarious....so all the RPO and WR screen/bubble/tunnel/etc etc etc passes which are within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage in the SF offense aren't easier to complete than the down the field play-action that was the staple in the TO offense?? It is pretty simple....throw more short, high % passes and you end up with a higher completion percentage. Saying a player in another system, without the benefit of those high percentage passes would still have the same percentage in a different offense is completely missing the point. However, in the end, neither side can prove its argument.

To clarify: I think Crouch can run Frost's offense but he isn't as equipped to do it as well as other kids coming out of high school every year.

Since he is out of eligibility, i guess it isn't really relevant how he compares to kids coming out of HS now. Especially since many have experience in a similar system which EC didn't or couldn't have.

LOL, you have no idea what you are talking about per usual. Frost wants a QB that the defenses have to be scared of in both running and passing the ball. Crouch was an adequate passer but not one who defenses would be scared of. There are far too many QBs out there with better abilities to run Frost's offense than Crouch and they would be recruited long before he was. Crouch would end up playing somewhere else on Frost's team.

I find it amazing how someone so wrong, so often can complain about others not knowing something. Failing to accept the difference between the passes EC made vs the type of passing in the SF offense is simply an effort to continue an argument. Other than Mariotta, i don't think an OU QB got a sniff in the NFL and that wasn't because they weren't successful. Sure, EVERY coach wants the player who is the BEST at everything, but SF would have taken EC in a heartbeat and the offense would have thrived.

Have you watched that much of UCF from the past two years? I've seen all or part of every game from the past season and some of 2016. Many of the throws are "easy" passes. Lot's of passes near the line of scrimmage, screens, RPO's, and play action. It's intentionally designed to complete a high percentage of passes. Crouch may not have been an elite passer but he completed close to 52% over his career and almost 57% as a senior in an offense that didn't throw much and didn't typically have high completion percentages. In Frost's offense you could easily tack on another 10% just from all the WR screens they throw. Those offenses usually aim for 70% but 60+ with his homerun hitting speed from anywhere on the field would be just fine.

Simply can't "like" this post enough. Well said from someone who has probably seen it in action more than anyone else commenting in the thread.

I find it amazing how someone so wrong, so often can complain about others not knowing something. Failing to accept the difference between the passes EC made vs the type of passing in the SF offense is simply an effort to continue an argument. Other than Mariotta, i don't think an OU QB got a sniff in the NFL and that wasn't because they weren't successful. Sure, EVERY coach wants the player who is the BEST at everything, but SF would have taken EC in a heartbeat and the offense would have thrived.
I think it's his irrational Solich hatred that carries over to Crouch since he played for Solich.

LOL! Bill Walsh recruited Frost as a WCO QB, but today Frost wouldn't take a clone of himself in his own offense because he's a bad passer:Rolf::Rolf::Rolf:?
Walsh recruited Frost as an athlete. He promised to give him a shot at QB to get him out of Nebraska...it didn't work out because Frost wasn't a capable passer for the WCO. I'm guessing you were about 6 years old when this all went down, or you'd know it. Frost didn't head back to Nebraska because Walsh had him headed to an NFL roster at QB, he headed back because he wanted to play QB rather than DB. Silliness.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back