• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Eric Crouch Gives Thoughts on Frost's Offense/Steve Calhoun Has Insight on POB/Gebbia (Post 51)

Not one that wanted a high level passing attack as well. Crouch is right, he wouldn't have played for Frost.

Simply incorrect. He would have played and thrived. As he said, if he had been asked, he would have been able to throw well enough.

You must be defining "high level" as some sort of NFL-multiple progression offense. This offense calls for someone who has similar skills to an option QB....read the D and react to what they give you...that leads to high level results.

Ok humor me a bit here. Is it not important in Frost's offense to have choices and read the one the defense is giving you. Under that scenario you would need a QB that can do both very well. If you have a QB that is a better runner, the D will see that and set up to stop the run. Now you have a running QB, that is passing because that is the read. I'd think you could only run this with a truly balanced QB.

Yes, much like the TO offense made the passing game work with the play action game. Set the defense up and make them pay.

Simply incorrect. He would have played and thrived. As he said, if he had been asked, he would have been able to throw well enough.

You must be defining "high level" as some sort of NFL-multiple progression offense. This offense calls for someone who has similar skills to an option QB....read the D and react to what they give you...that leads to high level results.
Agree with this and Crouch would be deadly in this offense. You line up wrong and he has the ability to beat you to the corner and take it to the house. That would open up the passing game and he wouldn’t have to have high accuracy.

LOL, you have no idea what you are talking about per usual. Frost wants a QB that the defenses have to be scared of in both running and passing the ball. Crouch was an adequate passer but not one who defenses would be scared of. There are far too many QBs out there with better abilities to run Frost's offense than Crouch and they would be recruited long before he was. Crouch would end up playing somewhere else on Frost's team.

Ok humor me a bit here. Is it not important in Frost's offense to have choices and read the one the defense is giving you. Under that scenario you would need a QB that can do both very well. If you have a QB that is a better runner, the D will see that and set up to stop the run. Now you have a running QB, that is passing because that is the read. I'd think you could only run this with a truly balanced QB.
There are choices pre-snap and post-snap. Sometimes the pre-snap choice says "Run it!" and then it's going to be a run, which may contain the option for the QB to keep it. Sometimes the pre-snap choice is "Pass it!" and then it's going to be a pass play, which still may leave the QB with a choice to run under pressure.

With a strong passing QB, there will be a lot more of the latter types of play calls. The running plays will involve less options for the QB to keep it.

Not every play in the playbook has a QB keep option.

Agree with this and Crouch would be deadly in this offense. You line up wrong and he has the ability to beat you to the corner and take it to the house. That would open up the passing game and he wouldn’t have to have high accuracy.
Sounds like Redo is about as wrong about Frost as he was about Solich.

LOL, you have no idea what you are talking about per usual. Frost wants a QB that the defenses have to be scared of in both running and passing the ball. Crouch was an adequate passer but not one who defenses would be scared of. There are far too many QBs out there with better abilities to run Frost's offense than Crouch and they would be recruited long before he was. Crouch would end up playing somewhere else on Frost's team.

Have you watched that much of UCF from the past two years? I've seen all or part of every game from the past season and some of 2016. Many of the throws are "easy" passes. Lot's of passes near the line of scrimmage, screens, RPO's, and play action. It's intentionally designed to complete a high percentage of passes. Crouch may not have been an elite passer but he completed close to 52% over his career and almost 57% as a senior in an offense that didn't throw much and didn't typically have high completion percentages. In Frost's offense you could easily tack on another 10% just from all the WR screens they throw. Those offenses usually aim for 70% but 60+ with his homerun hitting speed from anywhere on the field would be just fine.

Last edited:

Have you watched that much of UCF from the past two years? I've seen all or part of every game from the past season and some of 2016. Many of the throws are "easy" passes. Lot's of passes near the line of scrimmage, screens, RPO's, and play action. It's intentionally designed to complete a high percentage of passes. Crouch may not have been an elite passer but he completed close to 52% over his career and almost 57% as a senior in an offense that didn't throw much and didn't typically have high completion percentages. In Frost's offense you could easily tack on another 10% just from all the WR screens they throw. Those offenses usually aim for 70% but 60+ with his homerun hitting speed from anywhere on the field would be just fine.
So you would want a 50 something percent passer who can run over the many high 60 percent passers who can run? Ridiculous. Frost wants a good passer that opens things up for runs, not the other way around. Its not the offense of the 90s at Nebraska any longer and you fans thinking that its going to be anything like that are in for a shock.

Luckily Frost has a much better head for football than the dreamers on this board.

Not at QB.
Same for Crouch and for the HS version of Frost, HCSF would have recruited both heavily since they were Nebraska kids...but likely not as QB's, since neither could throw very well. Also, Someone posted something about lots of the passes in SF's offense are high percentage screens and short passes, LOL, we haven't had many QB's that were adept at these passes, which require a lot more touch on the ball...Crouch/Frost weren't among those that were adept at it.

Last edited:

So you would want a 50 something percent passer who can run over the many high 60 percent passers who can run? Ridiculous. Frost wants a good passer that opens things up for runs, not the other way around. Its not the offense of the 90s at Nebraska any longer and you fans thinking that its going to be anything like that are in for a shock.

Luckily Frost has a much better head for football than the dreamers on this board.

Gee whiz, thanks for educating me on the fact that this offense is different than Nebraska's 90's offense.

You appear to be missing my point. I didn't say that I'd "take a 50 something percent passer who can run over the many high 60 percent passers who can run". Not all offenses are the same, obviously. If McKenzie Milton was playing in Nebraska's offense from 98-01 he wouldn't be completing 67% of his passes. Likewise, if Crouch was playing in UCF's 2017 offense he would have a higher completion percentage.

Furthermore, not all QB's who can run have the same ability on the ground. Crouch is one of the most elite of running QB's in the history of CFB. Opponents would HAVE to game plan around that which would only help him from numbers in space standpoint.

Finally, something that should be an obvious factor in this discussion, is that one can't simply look at this in a vacuum. The number of athletic dual threat QB's who have experience in HS offenses that throw the ball a lot and share elements and passing game concepts with Frost's offense today is vastly different than the middle 90's when Crouch was in HS. Most athletic guys then were running the option.

I remember watching Woody Dantzler in person multiple times during the exact same years while he was at Clemson. That was in a relatively early version of Rich Rodriguez's offense and he put up huge numbers both running and passing. He had a strong arm but he wasn't any more natural of a passer than Crouch was. And the new offense we're going to run makes it even easier on the QB.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back