• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Eric Crouch Gives Thoughts on Frost's Offense/Steve Calhoun Has Insight on POB/Gebbia (Post 51)

So you're really suggesting that if 18 year old Eric Crouch was on the roster right now, that at no point in his career would he ascend to the starting role at QB?

I understand this is hypothetical, but I find it extremely hard to believe that given the option, Frost's staff would decide not to take a kid of Crouch's caliber, regardless of your opinion on if he'd end up starting. If there's a track star dual threat QB in Omaha, I'm of the mind that you've got to take a gamble on a kid like that. Frost and Crouch's completion percentages were comparable, but their ability on the ground in the option game made up for it.

Hell, even Riley was smart enough to try to tailor his offense to Tommy's strengths because of his athletic ability. Id have to think Frost would do the same thing with Crouch.
Frost won't "tailor" his offense. It's already pre-built to handle a variety of QB "types". It would just be a different emphasis on which sets of plays they would be calling most often.

Crouch on Verduzco's statement about the team's QBs...
I saw UCF's QB slide and avoid contact more than a few times. And I am 100% cool with that. Part of Crouch's passing struggles were that he had shoulder surgery (more than once IIRC) and that's largely from creating contact. We CANNOT have a QB running the ball like Crouch or Frost and expect him to throw the ball 350+ times a year with any real effectiveness.

If it is the difference between a 1st down or TD or not...sure. Otherwise, GET DOWN.

We got Frost to run his offense, not tailor it for anyone. I don't think Frost would recruit his as a QB. Its just my opinion.
Agree. The "nebraska kid" factor might play in though. But if that same QB is from Tennessee....Frost won't give the guy a 2nd thought.

I'm just hoping Frost has another Nebraska born 'Crouch' type talent to gnash his teeth about extending a scholarship offer to in my lifetime. He was far from a pass first quarterback, but the kid was a football player. Can't believe there wouldn't be a spot for him or someone of his ilk on the 2018 roster.

I saw UCF's QB slide and avoid contact more than a few times. And I am 100% cool with that. Part of Crouch's passing struggles were that he had shoulder surgery (more than once IIRC) and that's largely from creating contact. We CANNOT have a QB running the ball like Crouch or Frost and expect him to throw the ball 350+ times a year with any real effectiveness.

If it is the difference between a 1st down or TD or not...sure. Otherwise, GET DOWN.
Yeah, Frost referenced something similar. Staying healthy will be a priority.

Frost won't "tailor" his offense. It's already pre-built to handle a variety of QB "types". It would just be a different emphasis on which sets of plays they would be calling most often.

I might well "tailor" it for a zac "taylor" or "taylor" martinez if you know what I'm say'n!

I'm just hoping Frost has another Nebraska born 'Crouch' type talent to gnash his teeth about extending a scholarship offer to in my lifetime. He was far from a pass first quarterback, but the kid was a football player. Can't believe there wouldn't be a spot for him or someone of his ilk on the 2018 roster.
Crouch would get recruited and do well in Frost's offense.

Crouch would get recruited and do well in Frost's offense.

Agreed. If you have a mobile QB with NFL passing ability, all the better. But there's been quite a few guys who have excelled in different variations of modern college HUNH offenses that had virtually no chance in the NFL. The idea is to be QB friendly. Crouch's speed and explosiveness would really stress defenses in Frost's system.

Ok humor me a bit here. Is it not important in Frost's offense to have choices and read the one the defense is giving you. Under that scenario you would need a QB that can do both very well. If you have a QB that is a better runner, the D will see that and set up to stop the run. Now you have a running QB, that is passing because that is the read. I'd think you could only run this with a truly balanced QB.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back