• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Eichorst and Miles share vision for Nebraska Men's Basketball

Red Don

Tiger
Staff member
10 Year Member
Shawn Eichorst and Tim Miles seem to have had a productive interview with Lee Barfknecht and Steve Sipple regarding the state of the Men's BB Program.

Here is Lee's article about it in today's Big Red Today.

Dissatisfied but not discouraged, Shawn Eichorst and Tim Miles share same vision for Nebraska's future
In a joint 40-minute interview with The World-Herald and Lincoln Journal-Star, Eichorst and Miles took turns noting that while things aren’t great now, they can turn around quickly while reaching for what both men said is their joint goal for the program:

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/mens-b...cle_4b499dfa-29e3-11e7-b8a3-17a37da56386.html

Last edited:

Sipple's Article in LJS:

Steven M. Sipple: No ultimatum necessary: Miles needs to meet own expectations
ADSE: "We have to go get a couple of these signature players in our program that are all about the team — that are rugged, championship-flight type of young men, who have played in championship programs, who understand there's a lot of work that needs to be done, and there's a lot of attention that needs to be paid to one another, collectively, and not just the person looking in the mirror."

http://journalstar.com/sports/huske...al&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=user-share

After reading both articles I didn't really get the feel that this was an overwhelming endorsement of Miles by SE. It was a chance for Eichorst to say he's not happy, he's still hopeful, he see's some positives is adjusting the type of player they are looking for, and a main weakness in the team the last few seasons.

I was actually glad to hear Miles was a little combative. Nothing worse than someone who sounds like a whipped dog, just darn happy to have a paycheck for another season. Time will tell if he really is looking at the type of player he brings in more (winner, team first, driven), as opposed to just a physical talent. In my mind, this is a really tough find for coaches these days. Those kids who are very talented have generally been coddled a bit, pushed ahead before some might feel they actually earned it. Those leaders, the team first guys, generally aren't the ones pouring in 20+ a game. They can be, but it's a tough find. If they really want this kind of player, they need to focus on the programs that create the right atmosphere in high school. Structured, balanced teams, and again, there aren't as many of those type as I'd like in today's culture.

What they said in the articles makes sense, but executing the plan is something I'm not positive Miles can pull off. He had a couple of kids who seemed to be right mentality in Fuller and Jacobson, but he didn't get the environment to buy in. Roby seems like a guy who might fit that. Maybe even Jordy. Watson looked willing to dish when guys were open, or score when needed to, but then something happened and I couldn't tell if he was hurting, or if he was pouting that his looks were diminished. McV will play a role, as will Evans, but now we have to see what happens with the new guys. One thing we've all talked about is the free flow offense, and that's a component I see as making it harder to get guys in the right mindset that it's a team game and getting others shots and looks is just as good as taking them yourself. In a more structured offense, a guy generally knows when and where he's getting his looks, it's not something that's only happening at the whim of the ball handlers, or if it's a pass out of desperation when no shot is available.

This is a positive direction both Miles and Eichorst are discussing, but it should have been a greater focus prior to this season, as it's not something that can be blended into an existing group easily. It's going to take strong leadership and structure from the coaching staff during practices, and then allowing the leaders on the team to continue creating the structure both on and off the court. I think SE is going to closely watch how Miles nurtures this kind of environment in the coming months. If it's not showing signs of improvement, a coaching search will likely start very early in the process.

After reading both articles I didn't really get the feel that this was an overwhelming endorsement of Miles by SE. It was a chance for Eichorst to say he's not happy, he's still hopeful, he see's some positives is adjusting the type of player they are looking for, and a main weakness in the team the last few seasons.

I was actually glad to hear Miles was a little combative. Nothing worse than someone who sounds like a whipped dog, just darn happy to have a paycheck for another season. Time will tell if he really is looking at the type of player he brings in more (winner, team first, driven), as opposed to just a physical talent. In my mind, this is a really tough find for coaches these days. Those kids who are very talented have generally been coddled a bit, pushed ahead before some might feel they actually earned it. Those leaders, the team first guys, generally aren't the ones pouring in 20+ a game. They can be, but it's a tough find. If they really want this kind of player, they need to focus on the programs that create the right atmosphere in high school. Structured, balanced teams, and again, there aren't as many of those type as I'd like in today's culture.

What they said in the articles makes sense, but executing the plan is something I'm not positive Miles can pull off. He had a couple of kids who seemed to be right mentality in Fuller and Jacobson, but he didn't get the environment to buy in. Roby seems like a guy who might fit that. Maybe even Jordy. Watson looked willing to dish when guys were open, or score when needed to, but then something happened and I couldn't tell if he was hurting, or if he was pouting that his looks were diminished. McV will play a role, as will Evans, but now we have to see what happens with the new guys. One thing we've all talked about is the free flow offense, and that's a component I see as making it harder to get guys in the right mindset that it's a team game and getting others shots and looks is just as good as taking them yourself. In a more structured offense, a guy generally knows when and where he's getting his looks, it's not something that's only happening at the whim of the ball handlers, or if it's a pass out of desperation when no shot is available.

This is a positive direction both Miles and Eichorst are discussing, but it should have been a greater focus prior to this season, as it's not something that can be blended into an existing group easily. It's going to take strong leadership and structure from the coaching staff during practices, and then allowing the leaders on the team to continue creating the structure both on and off the court. I think SE is going to closely watch how Miles nurtures this kind of environment in the coming months. If it's not showing signs of improvement, a coaching search will likely start very early in the process.

I agree with this. I'll add something that I'm not 100% sure of but fairly positive contributed to the gutter slide we experienced a few months ago. Jacobson was one of the main leaders and enforcers on that team. While I won't say that Jacobson checked out or didn't continue to play hard, I do think he may have disengaged from his leadership role, one that was important for the team and much different than Tai's.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back